Which Global Overland 4x4 Truck is Best for a FWC Hawk Flatbed?

Having owned both a Hawk and an Overlandex I think that both will do the job. If you have to deal with cool or wet weather the Overlandex camper is better. It has a better heating system with the Truma and no condensation problems because it is insulated. The Hawk has practically no insulation.

Thank you for your vote of confidence on both.
The condensation and wet/cold is definitely something on our mind since we’ll be in a variety of climates and conditions.

Originally the XP camper V1 is our first choice with the hard side pop up, but it is outside our budget brand new... even harder to come by used than FWC. That said we spotted a used V2 for sale that we’re looking into.

sg1

Adventurer
Thank you for your vote of confidence on both.
The condensation and wet/cold is definitely something on our mind since we’ll be in a variety of climates and conditions.

Originally the XP camper V1 is our first choice with the hard side pop up, but it is outside our budget brand new... even harder to come by used than FWC. That said we spotted a used V2 for sale that we’re looking into.
We have just completed a trip on the Panamericana from Inuvik to Ushuaia. If you have any questions please let us know.

JackAttack13

Observer
These are all great points, and some great suggestions. I have been looking at these FWC / Norweld setups for a long time. The rigs I continually see are clearly ignoring the vehicles payload rating. For example, I have seen a Colorado ZR2 with Norweld bed and Flatbed Hawk. The Hawk ALONE without additional weight of the Norweld surpasses the payload, and lets not mention water, gear, food, and the rest. Easily over 5 to 700 lbs over payload. Even the larger trucks like the Tundra are pressed to the limit at 2k with the Tundra. Now where it gets trick IMO is if you need a warranty repair. Especially frame or drivetrain related. Let them know your running 1k over payload and that warranty claim will be denied. Not to mention the potential for insurance denials for being overloaded.

So are folks just ignoring these numbers and hoping their drivetrain can keep up over the longhaul?

Dkurko

Stumbled into this photo this morning. Wonder who took the photo? This is my rig in front of Mike’s Truck shop in Grants Pass, OR. I had just dropped it off for the installation of an Old Man Emu front and rear suspension. I could not believe how that changed everything with the ride and handling of the truck!

What did you end up doing for your Hawk platform? BTW, this rig is for sale right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles