Which Global Overland 4x4 Truck is Best for a FWC Hawk Flatbed?

Which Global Overland 4x4 Truck is the Best for a Four Wheel Camper Hawk Flatbed?

We are planning a multi-year, round the world overland journey and looking to buy our rig. :D

After much research and visiting FWC Dealers and touching and feeling each model, we’ve decided the Hawk Flatbed Camper will best suit our needs. It maximizes space and has a versatile floor plan that is ideal for long term global travel.
That being said our research continues with finding the right vehicle on which to mount the Hawk Flatbed.

As with many, we are diehard Toyota fans fond of the renowned reliability, the durability, and the accessibility of parts around the world. Unfortunately as you know, Toyota trucks (Tundra/Tacoma) sold in the US don’t have a payload that can sustainably handle 1 ton of Cargo, Gear, Fuel, Water, and a Camper. Therefore we don’t feel confident about The viability for daily and long term use in the off-road conditions around the globe. We are open to hearing your thoughts.

Important Considerations:
  1. Sustainability and safety for carrying the weight (About 2000 lbs/ 1 ton)
  2. Reliability & Accessibility of parts and service world wide.
  3. Small enough to fit in a 20ft. Cargo container and traverse some of the more narrow pathways we’ll want to take
  4. Fuel efficiency
  5. Minimal electronics/computerized systems for ease of repair and maintenance.
We’ve considered going with an 06 or older Diesel to alleviate the issues of sourcing Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel and DEF, or the option of a late model (2010-2015) gasser with an extended fuel tank.

Please share your thoughts and Experiences about this as well.

In the midst of all that we are learning, planning and doing before embarking on this journey...
  • We don’t really have the bandwidth to consider all that goes along with importing an older vehicle that checks our boxes
  • Nor do we feel inclined to consider a DEF delete on a newer diesel
  • We live in California which adds to the headache of the 2 mentioned above ?

Please help us find our unicorn! Thanks in advance for sharing your insights, wisdom and experience.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
You could get in touch with the couple that go by Bound For Nowhere (on IG and I imagine FB too) They just took delivery of a flatbed Hawk on a Tundra. They seem to be very educated long distance travelers so I guess they had some good reasoning f oh r their choice.
As far as my 2-bits, I have a slide in Hawk on my Tundra and have yet to find a place where it didn't have enough power, or stability, or braking. We drove to Tuk and back last July (8500+km) and we were loaded up extra heavy, probably right at the 2K pound mark. The truck handled it like a champ. Mileage was about 12mpg averaged for that trip. We've also off-roaded fairly seriously with it (tight steep switchbacks and the sort) and haven't come up against any real issues there either. I went with the Tundra for one main reason, the long term reliability of the Toyota product. I did not want a diesel truck, and evetytime I looked at other trucks I kept coming back to the Tundra. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sg1

Adventurer
Tundra and Tacomas are not sold outside North America and 2 or 3 countries in Latin America. Toyota uses the Hilux in the ROW (Rest Of the World). The only US made truck I have seen in every country in Latin America is the F 150 which would fit your specs with heavy payload package and the 5 l V8 gasser. Heavier US spec trucks are extremely rare abroad (south of Mexico), because internationally anything heavier than 3.5 t GWVR is classified as a "truck" with specific speed limits and all sorts of limitations regardless of whether it is used commercially or not. Because US trucks are very expensive and thirsty they are only bought as "lifestyle" vehicles in the light version and not as commercial vehicles. In Africa or Europe no US made truck is officially offered by the OEMs. RAMs and F 150s are occasionally imported by independent dealers as lifestyle vehicles for enthusiasts, heavier trucks are unknown due to the reasons I mentioned. For those there is a limited availability of parts.
Have you considered this Flatbed camper? Contrary to the Hawk it is insulated which is nice in harsher climates.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Tundra and Tacomas are not sold outside North America and 2 or 3 countries in Latin America. Toyota uses the Hilux in the ROW (Rest Of the World). The only US made truck I have seen in every country in Latin America is the F 150 which would fit your specs with heavy payload package and the 5 l V8 gasser. Heavier US spec trucks are extremely rare abroad (south of Mexico), because internationally anything heavier than 3.5 t GWVR is classified as a "truck" with specific speed limits and all sorts of limitations regardless of whether it is used commercially or not. Because US trucks are very expensive and thirsty they are only bought as "lifestyle" vehicles in the light version and not as commercial vehicles. In Africa or Europe no US made truck is officially offered by the OEMs. RAMs and F 150s are occasionally imported by independent dealers as lifestyle vehicles for enthusiasts, heavier trucks are unknown due to the reasons I mentioned. For those there is a limited availability of parts.
Have you considered this Flatbed camper? Contrary to the Hawk it is insulated which is nice in harsher climates.

I think if I were to buy a brand new Tundra, I wouldn't have to worry about parts for at least the first 100k miles. So parts availability is less of an issue. If something really does break, I doubt it would be something major like Engine or Transmission. So there is always DHL.

That said, someone else on a different thread suggested a Ford F150 with the 5.0 liter and the extra payload package. Could be something to look into.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Tundra and Tacomas are not sold outside North America and 2 or 3 countries in Latin America. Toyota uses the Hilux in the ROW (Rest Of the World).
Despite that the Tacoma and Tundra are North American specific they do share parts, some identical, some very close and easy to adapt, with the Prado, Hilux and Land Cruiser of similar eras.

The 3rd gen Tacoma is probably the least common with global counterparts. But even there, the V6 isn't used in another other trucks but it is used in other Toyota cars. If you buy a 4 cylinder Tacoma that is moot. The issue is really that we don't get Toyota diesels. That's probably the harder thing to figure out, where to source parts for gasoline Toyota engines locally. How many Hiluxes in Australia got the 1GR? I'm betting next to zero when a D-4D is available.

I can't speak with first hand knowledge but it seems to me that it wouldn't be as much of an issue with them as trying to take a Big 3 truck around the world where there's almost no commonality with anything.

Last edited:
The Feedback from you guys has been very helpful!!.
I was so Happy to see multiple valid resourceful responses this morning!!!
This Platform is really great.
“ I LOVE OVERLANDERS”
Thank you
Here is what our Rig might look like should we choose a Toyota Tundra.
Apparently the newer 2017 Tundra gets about 12 mpg average with the FWC flatbed Hawk camper mounted. Says the Boundfornowhere Instagram page with 2017 Tundra Flatbed Hawk Set Up.

Locking Diff?

I wonder how hard it is to find a Used Tundra 4X4 with a rear Locking Differential??

Preferably a Used Tundra to save Money.
So, Which Tundra Years will accommodate the Pay load 2000 lbs. aka 1 ton)???

The research never ends........ ???
Thanks folks.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Looking at the different year specs on Tundras payload will be a challenge. Between flatbed, FWC Hawk, food, and water you will be over. Yes, you can add bags and springs to help with stability. Having owned Hawks, Grandby, Skamper, Hallmark.. The best combination of size to comfort was my 2005 5.9 Dodge Cummins 4x4 with a Hawk. Pre- ULSD and emission junk so a bonus for CA. The 20s empty and 17s mpg with the fully loaded camper. The truck was never under stress, brakes, transmission, payload. Can you stick a flatbed on a Tundra and make it work sure- should you? I think that becomes a very personal decision. My current setup is on a Power Wagon- I looked for 2012 as it was the last year of leaf springs and not the dismal payload of coils in the rear. Even still I am right at the truck's payload with a Hawk. I have airbags and beefed up the suspension. The MPG is terrible but it was a trade-off for off-road performance.

From one of the WTW members:

" I have a 2014 Tundra 5.7L with a SLIDE IN Hawk.
I am offroad more than most, and tend to drive the harder spots and trails.
especially for the heavier flatbed. Will it "work"? sure, and some are happy with it.
If you're offroad a lot, you be kicking the crap out of it with all that weight. I am on my second front end, and 3rd set of leaf springs trying to dial it in to hold the weight.
Its maxed out, and its obvious when driving it offroad.
My next truck will MOST DEFINITELY be at least a 3/4 ton diesel and will mount the SLIDE in onto a flatbed, and use the space between for a storage system.
Ive been a Toyota only guy my whole life, and owned and built them all, but they are maxed out big time with the FWC on them, and as much as it hurts me to say it, i will be going Domestic next.
My .02

Explore Wander the West its the Expo of Pop Up campers.
This thread is almost like yours -

Thank you for your insights! Which flatbed camper are you speaking of?

D

Deleted member 9101

F250 with the 6.2. It's damn near bullet proof and can easily drag around what ever you bolt to it. It has a solid front axel and a pretty stout rear axel. The motor is not at all complicated and requires no special maintenance. The frame is very strong and its built to take far more abuse than any 1/2 ton could handle.

If you wait for the 2020 model year you can get the 6.2 with a 10 speed, which should pick up a mile or two per gallon. They will also offer a 7.3 gas motor, but that would be over kill.

Thanks for continuing to share your helpful insights and perspectives. There is so much we are taking into consideration and we are still undecided at this point, though we’ve been putting out feelers on a couple potential rigs and continuing our research in the meantime. o_O

@Cummins_expo we really appreciate your taking the time to talk with us and educating us further on some of our options and things to be aware of. Thanks also for the heads up on a lead you spotted, good lookin out. (y)(y)

@DaveInDenver you raise some very good points! ?

@shirk ... Defender 130!! ??? Now that’s a Unicorn!!

@sg1 we had previously looked at that camper, however feel more confident going with one that’s been in production longer and has a trail of satisfied customers behind it.. especially since it’s priced in the same ballpark. Appreciate your suggestion tho!

@Jnich77 thank you, will check out the F250. We plan to test drive some trucks this weekend and get a hands on feel.

sg1

Adventurer
Having owned both a Hawk and an Overlandex I think that both will do the job. If you have to deal with cool or wet weather the Overlandex camper is better. It has a better heating system with the Truma and no condensation problems because it is insulated. The Hawk has practically no insulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles