Which EV would you buy?

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Even if that F150 runs on electricity it is still a stupid idea to drive a truck when you don't need one.

Two (or more) vehicles don't work for some of us: financial, logistical or both.
I can only afford one vehicle and would have to find off-street parking for a second one (expensive).
My Ram 2500 takes me on short trips with comfort and safety and safely carries my 1300 lb camper without problems. A Prius (et.al.) would severely limit my camping opportunities.

One buys an expensive tool to do as many jobs as possible, even if it does some of them inefficiently. If you can afford many expensive tools for specific tasks - great. Not all of us are that lucky.

Lovetheworld

Something good to keep in mind when comparing what works in Europe vs. what works in America
View attachment 614231

Yeah but really, what is your daily mileage in US or Canada when not on holiday / overlanding?

My EV can do 250 miles. I don't think most people, regardless of the country they live in, need more. Only a few need that.

And you forget to say that half of the US doesnt need a 4x4, because no snow and they dont do offroading, but drives one.

And lets not get started on how useless an empty 4x4 pickup (4x2 even worse) drives when you actually have snow or heavy winds.

Lovetheworld

Well then, that is settled. And the country size map is not really relevant if you put it that way. I don't go overlanding in Netherlands, it would be outside Europe before I call it overlanding.

What remains is how much you are spending on the base vehicle. If most people are using second hand trucks for 10 to 20K, it will take a while for it to become relevant.
Take a hybrid 4x4, perhaps not even plug-in. It will do nicely, even if it is an all wheel drive car, the torque is there, and a lot of times they have front wheel drive with a seperate electric rear axle.
So they already get to many places with that system.

And what is overlanding to you? If overlanding means staying in North-America, I think a Cybertruck will do nicely, because of the Supercharger network.
The Rivian might even be better, but lacks those charging options.

Anyway, I have been checking how to drive an electric car from Europe to Dakar, preferably with some decent range like 250 - 300 miles, and it should be feasible.
It would be adventurous though. And you would have a couple of moments where you are just charging to a socket, meaning you probably have to have some restdays.
But yeah, buying an electric 4x4 for those purposes makes it very expensive. And also a bit of a waste.
Perhaps I should just drive my Bolt to Dakar then :D Which would be fun, but I love desert / sand dune driving and that is of course out of the question.

The top model Rivian with 180kWh is nice, but it has the capacity of 3 Chevy Bolts. My idea is, better spend that money and resources on 3 EVs.
And just minimize 4x4 truck driving to when you need it.

Might as well buy a $10,000 truck, and if you care for the CO2 emissions, dump some money into those organizations that are planting trees in Africa or something like that.
Because that is actually much more cost effective.
If you are already in the market for new vehicles and you are travelling in countries with some decent infrastructure, go ahead and buy electric. You will save on running costs and they will last really long.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Come to California. Saving the world one electric vehicle and charger at a time.

1000arms

Come to California. Saving the world one electric vehicle and charger at a time.
You might want to be aware of the following post from a different thread:

Well that was easy to predict. Every single time California is mentioned, you can be certain that some members will jump in to express their feelings.

Thread locked.

Edited to add the quote of the post in addition to the link to the other thread.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Well then, that is settled. And the country size map is not really relevant if you put it that way. I don't go overlanding in Netherlands, it would be outside Europe before I call it overlanding.

What remains is how much you are spending on the base vehicle. If most people are using second hand trucks for 10 to 20K, it will take a while for it to become relevant.
Take a hybrid 4x4, perhaps not even plug-in. It will do nicely, even if it is an all wheel drive car, the torque is there, and a lot of times they have front wheel drive with a seperate electric rear axle.
So they already get to many places with that system.

And what is overlanding to you? If overlanding means staying in North-America, I think a Cybertruck will do nicely, because of the Supercharger network.
The Rivian might even be better, but lacks those charging options.

Anyway, I have been checking how to drive an electric car from Europe to Dakar, preferably with some decent range like 250 - 300 miles, and it should be feasible.
It would be adventurous though. And you would have a couple of moments where you are just charging to a socket, meaning you probably have to have some restdays.
But yeah, buying an electric 4x4 for those purposes makes it very expensive. And also a bit of a waste.
Perhaps I should just drive my Bolt to Dakar then :D Which would be fun, but I love desert / sand dune driving and that is of course out of the question.

The top model Rivian with 180kWh is nice, but it has the capacity of 3 Chevy Bolts. My idea is, better spend that money and resources on 3 EVs.
And just minimize 4x4 truck driving to when you need it.

Might as well buy a $10,000 truck, and if you care for the CO2 emissions, dump some money into those organizations that are planting trees in Africa or something like that.
Because that is actually much more cost effective.
If you are already in the market for new vehicles and you are travelling in countries with some decent infrastructure, go ahead and buy electric. You will save on running costs and they will last really long.
Pure EVs are lousy vacation RV toy haulers. Every Friday our highways look like Mobile homeless relocation evacuation routes packed full of over loaded trucks dragging massive RVs lol. The Tesla 100 towing a tiny Hiker tear drop trailer was only able to go 80 miles between charge locations on flat ground. Plus the chargers are all setup so you can’t fit a trailer into the charge stalls. LOL

Ths EVs and charging network are only setup for passenger vehicles.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles