Which EV would you buy?

F350joe

This is pretty interesting too....

imwas just reading about the 4XE. Not really feeling the 25mi plug in, would rather see a hybrid. This system seems too complicated for Fiat to pull off. I keep seeing that it makes more HP than the Bronco which has me wondering if its something was was rushed to slow the bronco orders.

a solar trailer or tap into some power lines that run all over everywhere. All you need to get is another 50-100 miles of more range to beat a jerrycan/ICE.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
imwas just reading about the 4XE. Not really feeling the 25mi plug in, would rather see a hybrid. This system seems too complicated for Fiat to pull off. I keep seeing that it makes more HP than the Bronco which has me wondering if its something was was rushed to slow the bronco orders.

a solar trailer or tap into some power lines that run all over everywhere. All you need to get is another 50-100 miles of more range to beat a jerrycan/ICE.
25mi ev range is actually pretty useful not to mention all the low speed non technical stuff likely would be partial ev only. Keep in mind down hill charging and ICE charging takes place of which the auto makers are getting pretty good at energy management and recovery. Plugin hybrid jeep with 25ish mile range would likely see a big range gain in trail use.

docwatson

Adventurer

It has a hybrid mode. There is a gas only mode, an electric only mode and then a hybrid mode. Rated at 50 mpg equivalent. It does seem overly complicated for FCA but I appreciate their effort. Meanwhile Toyota, who is the king of hybrids, just adds new colors to the 4runner/Tacoma.

4xe makes me less impressed with the Bronco. I'll gladly leave my doors in my front yard with their mirrors on them to only pay for gas on weekends.

Recommended books for Overlanding

It has a hybrid mode. There is a gas only mode, an electric only mode and then a hybrid mode. Rated at 50 mpg equivalent. It does seem overly complicated for FCA but I appreciate their effort. Meanwhile Toyota, who is the king of hybrids, just adds new colors to the 4runner/Tacoma.

4xe makes me less impressed with the Bronco. I'll gladly leave my doors in my front yard with their mirrors on them to only pay for gas on weekends.
The current Wrangler is a mild hybrid, so is the Ram. Just don’t tell anyone! FCA did the 500e and there is a redesigned one now and the Fiat Duccato (spelling?) aka the Promaster is available as a BEV. Oh and the Pacifica, which is a solid PHEV.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Hybrid mode is going to rule the off road stuff. The bump in range crawling the easy stuff and down hill stuff will really bump the jeep range. The added grunt in duel mode will make the jeeper guys pretty happy. I don’t see a down side unless payload is impacted in a sizable way or it turns into a maintenance disaster some how.

billiebob

Looks like the infrastructure is getting there.

I think the recharge time is still a hindrance. Most gas stations have what...8 pumps? If there is only 1 or 2 charge stations, how long would it take to charged up? With gas it's what....5 minutes?
The Tesla SuperCharging Stations in the US are partnering with Starbucks and sure it takes 20 minutes to get 80% but they sell a coffee and while charging you get the fastest connection to get current with email, twitter, ???? It is just a matter of accepting there are many things you can do rather than standing beside your car holding a smelly nozzle. Many have already adapted. The naysayers have no idea.

As a commuter, you charge at home, never needing to line up at the pumps again or wait while the idiot in front of you decides if he wants the extra with his quick pick. The tank is full every morning. I'd love it.

F350joe

That does sound pretty useful actually. now if the bronco puts in the same system as the f150 maybe we could get some healthy competition/innovation speeding up development.

I hope toyota is just in super secret dev mode because they are woefully behind but could probably do this EV thing better than ford or fiat. They are going to need to pull a rabbit out of their hat pretty quick here if they want to stay relevant.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That does sound pretty useful actually. now if the bronco puts in the same system as the f150 maybe we could get some healthy competition/innovation speeding up development.

I hope toyota is just in super secret dev mode because they are woefully behind but could probably do this EV thing better than ford or fiat. They are going to need to pull a rabbit out of their hat pretty quick here if they want to stay relevant.
Back when Elon was hand building Electric Lotus’s Wired MAGAZINE did a really interesting interview with Elon. He explained how Tesla and the NUMI plant happened. In that story top Toyota brass were most interested in how he found the creative new ideas. IE even several years ago Toyota knew they had a serious lack of design creativity and it would be a problem for them.

My plugin Ford Fusion running Toyota hybrid technology is packaged far superior than the Prius which doesn’t even get a US located charge port!!! I had Toyotas for 25 years and I honestly can say Toyota was so disappointing and uninspiring my purchase last year I never even looked at Toyota as an option.

F350joe

Back when Elon was hand building Electric Lotus’s Wired MAGAZINE did a really interesting interview with Elon. He explained how Tesla and the NUMI plant happened. In that story top Toyota brass were most interested in how he found the creative new ideas. IE even several years ago Toyota knew they had a serious lack of design creativity and it would be a problem for them.

My plugin Ford Fusion running Toyota hybrid technology is packaged far superior than the Prius which doesn’t even get a US located charge port!!! I had Toyotas for 25 years and I honestly can say Toyota was so disappointing and uninspiring my purchase last year I never even looked at Toyota as an option.
Seems like they could import some talent but that would explain why they have been so stagnant. I swore off toyota as well but ended up in a Lexus so I failed, kind of. I had a 3.0 extracab for a long time that was just a pile. Years later had a tacoma with only about 30k miles burst into flames while I was driving it and really was not at all sad about it. Tigher and smoother than ford, I will give them that. At least with the GX there is a v8 and plenty of power to go with the crappy fuel milage. I have had several fords and never a bad one, doesn’t surprise me the Fusion has served you well. May have to look into a used one when the used car prices drop at the end of the year. You are in an Expedition now right? How has that been on the trail?

toyota may just sit out the next couple years as all these new models work out the kinks.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sorry, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are you proposing we manufacture bio fuel from algae to power existing ICE engines? Again, maybe I misunderstood or am over simplifying

For the active molecules, how would you fly them to your car?

I thought maybe you were going to suggest hydrogen. I do believe there was a car developed to run off sea water.

Edit: Found it

My neighbor was part of a bio fuel research group their focus as algae the funding for that research dried up 4 years ago. The take away was it’s possible but not on a scale that would be profitable enough. Especially today with refinery orders way down.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Seems like they could import some talent but that would explain why they have been so stagnant. I swore off toyota as well but ended up in a Lexus so I failed, kind of. I had a 3.0 extracab for a long time that was just a pile. Years later had a tacoma with only about 30k miles burst into flames while I was driving it and really was not at all sad about it. Tigher and smoother than ford, I will give them that. At least with the GX there is a v8 and plenty of power to go with the crappy fuel milage. I have had several fords and never a bad one, doesn’t surprise me the Fusion has served you well. May have to look into a used one when the used car prices drop at the end of the year. You are in an Expedition now right? How has that been on the trail?

toyota may just sit out the next couple years as all these new models work out the kinks.
I think importing talent was a game plan in their big Tesla buy in. But I suspect the Tesla Talent and ideas have been way out of the Toyota comfort zone.

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
I really like several of the new EVs coming out...the Fisker Ocean looks beautiful and has some really cool features, as does the Polestar 2. Further out into the future and not yet fully ready for manufacturing are Rivian and Lucid. And, GM looks to have some potentially exciting releases they're teasing. Personally, I'll stay FAR away from Tesla.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Thanks to a big buck running head on into my stopped Expedition it spent 5 weeks in the shop fenders were untouched, radiator wasn’t leaking but $15,000 in parts and labor😳. So 5 weeks pre COVID it didn’t get used only had 1000 miles on it. Then COVID hit so today it sits at 9600 miles😆. Zero problems no issues with the new hood and all the grill equipment replaced.
It sits on factory 22’s with soft squishy comfort tires. It won’t see anything but graded dirt roads for a while which any vehicle can do.
But rear Elocker alone adds capability my Sequoia didn’t have and with bigger rigs a rear locker is a big step up in getting through challenging stuff.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Vehicle-dependent Expedition Guide
by Tom Sheppard
From $125.48
Lone Rider
by speth Beard
From $27.64

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I really like several of the new EVs coming out...the Fisker Ocean looks beautiful and has some really cool features, as does the Polestar 2. Further out into the future and not yet fully ready for manufacturing are Rivian and Lucid. And, GM looks to have some potentially exciting releases they're teasing. Personally, I'll stay FAR away from Tesla.
I find it interesting that the biggest auto maker with the largest number of different vehicles that will be EV platforms in the next year didn’t make your list. The company’s you mentioned are tiny and hand built custom cars. Even Hyundai’s EV is a odd hand built vehicle that doesn’t come off the standard production line and has a very restricted number. Last I looked less than 8000 world wide.

Ford is the only maker other than Tesla that will have mass produced EV / hybrid vehicles ranging from SUVs, Trucks, Bronco, and full performance EVs Mustang Mach E etc in the next year or two.

After having a plugin Ford hybrid for 70,000 miles I can say without doubt there are great reasons to have a hybrid over a straight EV especially in a region that gets utility power cuts due to storms and / or my case fire storm season etc. Even Plugin hybrids see lower ICE maintenance needs given idling and stop and go use which is hard on ICE fluids is greatly reduced given that’s mainly EV use. There are also very good reasons to have a straight EV performance! Lots of short trips, lots of local regional driving near zero maintenance etc.

Since COVID my trips tend to be short and not often the plugin hybrid has been the go too vehicle and has been EV mode the whole time. The Expedition gets gassed up on average once a month mainly due to trips to hiking or check on elder family members 50-60 miles away. Tools, dog, kids bikes taken along so Fusion gets left home.