Which earthroamer

tacollie

Glamper
My step dad is selling his one year old Sportsmobile(only 12,000 miles) and going to ER. He can't decide on the Ford or Dodge. His worry is that they are relatively new motors in each. He is most worried about the reliability. I was just wondering if any one has any info or experiences with either motor that might help him make his decision.

haven

Expedition Leader
Dodge issues

The folks at Earthroamer told me that the Dodge chassis has definite drawbacks when compared to the Ford chassis.

If you need a crew cab, the Dodge is much smaller than the Ford. It's barely bigger inside than the Ford Supercab model. No "Megacab" here.

The engine noise gets into the cab more on the Dodge.

The Ford is available with two 160-amp alternators as a factory option (the ambulance package, I believe). Dodge gives you the option of ordering a bigger than stock alternator but no option for a second one.

Ford has dual fuel tanks as an option. Dodge does not.

Chip Haven

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
With nothing other than a hunch & 'opinion' to back it up, I too would be more concerned about the chassis over the engine. If anything Dodge's engine could be better as it is already for 2010 emissions, where Ford and International can't get along at the corporate level (lawsuits over money and warranty issues).

On a related note, yesterday I saw my first Earthroamer in person at an RV show. I was impressed with the construction just like I have been lead to believe from reading posts about these rigs. If I had $250k I would buy one as my large overlander :)

haven said:
The folks at Earthroamer told me that the Dodge chassis has definite drawbacks when compared to the Ford chassis.

If you need a crew cab, the Dodge is much smaller than the Ford. It's barely bigger inside than the Ford Supercab model. No "Megacab" here.

The engine noise gets into the cab more on the Dodge.

The Ford is available with two 160-amp alternators as a factory option (the ambulance package, I believe). Dodge gives you the option of ordering a bigger than stock alternator but no option for a second one.

Ford has dual fuel tanks as an option. Dodge does not.

Chip Haven

Tacollie,
Can you/your step dad interject as to why the changeover from smb to the er?
Is it for more room? Larger capacity in fuel/water, etc? Permanent bed? Permanent raised roof (assuming of course he has the penthouse on the SMB? Noise/heat of the van chassis (assuming he has a diesel)? Better handling in the ER v. the SMB?

expeditionvan said:
Tacollie,
Can you/your step dad interject as to why the changeover from smb to the er?
Is it for more room? Larger capacity in fuel/water, etc? Permanent bed? Permanent raised roof (assuming of course he has the penthouse on the SMB? Noise/heat of the van chassis (assuming he has a diesel)? Better handling in the ER v. the SMB?

Read Eric Badger's blog re his experiences with his new SMB. It'd be enough to talk me out of one and into an ER. Just one example: fresh water plumbing completely outside the insulated envelope, therefore subject to freezeup at 32 F, regardless of interior heating. That shows "serious lapses in engineering", to be diplomatic.
Maybe someone (Haven?) can put up a link to Eric's blog.

Charlie

theMec

Adventurer
I don't know about the chassis difference but you may want to think about potential engine maintenance issues. I assume IH/Navistar has straightened out the issues w/ the previous 6.0L engine when going to the new one. Another thing to think about is that the Cummins has 2 less cylinders. This means approx 25% less parts (along w/ no glow plugs) - and more space to work on it under the hood. I haven't heard about alternator issues in previous Cummins but you never know w/ the newer engine.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I know a SD Ford engineer, and he told me about all the development that went into the 6.4, and it's insane. Ford cannot afford another engine disaster like the 6.0 ( mine just turned 30K without any issues) So I wouldn't be scared of the Ford. Nothing against the Dodge, I think it's an excellent motor, probably the best of the big 3.

tacollie

Glamper
Thanks for you input. My step dad loves his sportsmobile. He said it would be perfect if it was just him, but since my mom has started going out with him it is not working out so well. He going to ER for 3 big reasons.

1. They are an hour away not 15. He lives in Monument, Colorado so it is local.
2. Sportsmobiles are made well but ER's are built better. ERs are a lot more but you actually get a lot more.
3. Bed is not in the living space(biggest reason). He gets up before the the sun every morning to photograph the sun rise. My mom doesn't.

He is going to opt for the ford because the rest of the truck is more suited for his needs and probably better for what he wants. If it was based on the motor alone the dodge would win. I will post his sportsmobile on the classifieds in the next couple of days.

jwild

EarthRoamer for Sale

EarthRoamer has a used ER for sale on its website. Might be a good opportunity .

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Nothing pulls like a Cummins. Get the tried and true 5.9L I wouldn't be affraid of the 6.7L but I know how awesome the 5.9 is. I have seen several with 750k-100,000,000 miles. We pull a 44' enclosed race trailer with living quarters behind ours and it gets 18-21mpg doing it. (it also has over 200K on it) When there's a load on the back you will see the difference between the Cummins and all the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste