which bike for around town?

michaels

Explorer
so i'm looking into getting a bike this summer. i'm a college student and have some money maturing soon that i put away a few years ago. obviously, i'm going to spend it. :wings:

now, i don't want to blow it ALL, but i do want a motorcycle. what should i look for? it's main uses will be for around town, so it will be street legal. i'm looking for something to offset the cost of gas for my rover.

BUT, it must be good for offroad too. i'm moving to the black belt of alabama next semester to build homes for the less privileged(http://www.cadc.auburn.edu/rural-studio/), and there are a lot of woods around to play in.

so what should i look for? obviously, a KTM would be b*tchin', but it MAY be out of my price range.

i'm looking to spend less than $1000, but will go up to $1500, MAYBE $2000, for the right bike.

cheers,
stricklin

rynosurf

Adventurer
My first choice for a bike on a budget would be a street legal XR, but if you are not going to be driving much on the highway a tw200 would be a good bike.

blatant

Adventurer
yeah unfortunately I don't think that's a ktm budget, and if you can find a ktm in that range you should definitely NOT buy it. Tw sounds right, klr maybe or an xr.

michaels

Explorer
thanks for the sugestions... to be more specific, i'm looking for basically a dirt bike that i'll make street legal. don't really want a "tourer" or something like that.

J*C*M

Traveller
Street legal XR, you should be able to find a XR600, maybe a XR650, in that price range, they are easy to work on, fun to ride, and great on gas.

michaels

Explorer
Street legal XR, you should be able to find a XR600, maybe a XR650, in that price range, they are easy to work on, fun to ride, and great on gas.

what year? and where should i look? i've only seen those in the $3000-$4000 range.

jkam

nomadic man
See if you can find a used Kawasaki Super Sherpa. It's a street legal 250 that gets 70~mpg and is an OK trail bike, especially for a beginner.

I carry one on the back of my RV for exploring and doing chores. I'll take that little bike just about anywhere.

Should be able to find one in the $1500-$2000 range, they hold their value well.

michaels

Explorer
See if you can find a used Kawasaki Super Sherpa. It's a street legal 250 that gets 70~mpg and is an OK trail bike, especially for a beginner.

I carry one on the back of my RV for exploring and doing chores. I'll take that little bike just about anywhere.

Should be able to find one in the $1500-$2000 range, they hold their value well.

that's a damn good looking bike. i'm going to check it out. pretty much it's going to be a kawasaki, yamaha, or honda, form what i've seen. early 2000 models or late 90s seem to be most in my price range.

i checked out the XR400 but it seems a little big for what i'm going for (hieght wise)

are most bikes air cooled? says the super sherpa is and all i can remember about air cooled engines is that old VW buses always break down and over heat. is that something to worry about on a bike?

and does anyone know of any good palces to look for them for sale? forums, etc...

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
that's a damn good looking bike. i'm going to check it out. pretty much it's going to be a kawasaki, yamaha, or honda, form what i've seen. early 2000 models or late 90s seem to be most in my price range.

i checked out the XR400 but it seems a little big for what i'm going for (hieght wise)

are most bikes air cooled? says the super sherpa is and all i can remember about air cooled engines is that old VW buses always break down and over heat. is that something to worry about on a bike?

and does anyone know of any good palces to look for them for sale? forums, etc...

The Sherpa is a great starter bike and with a low seat makes it nice for those that are short of leg.
Finding one can be tricky, they are sought after. Checking Craiglist I found one in Florida http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/mcy/1728812817.html

Hondarider

Adventurer
I just picked up this 2001 XR650L for $2200 with only 4000 miles on it. Perfect for running around town and some fire road exploration...competent on nasty trails and highway speeds. Super dependable and cheap to operate.

Attachments

• DSC06076 (Medium).JPG
    DSC06076 (Medium).JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles