Which alloy rim for maximum load? 17" x 9" or 10", 8 stud x 6 1/2", -12mm offset +/-

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I am in the planning stages of a new expedition truck build and the emphasis is on low weight and I will pay a premium for that.
I need an alloy rim with the maximum rated load capacity available. Forged????
Some variation is possible but close to 17" x 9"or 10" wide, 8 stud x 6 1/2" (165.1mm) PCD, minus 12mm offset +/-.
Style, finish and colour is of low consideration but something that does not collect lots of dirt would be preferred.

What do you guys suggest? Most of the options in Oz come from the USA.
Links to suppliers would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

rayan08

I saw a truck last week in the Netherlands. Very well designed car. You will not find anything like it in the United States ...
I wish you all the best on your travels,

Nox Vidmate VLC

Last edited:

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Weld used to have some nice choices. They revamped their lineup several years ago and i'm not familiar with the new lineup. They may still make something that fits your need. Not sure if Centerline still makes any truck wheels either. They used to do some really good ones too.

Method Racing may be your best bet currently.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Thanks for those tips. There are some useful ones there, but there seems to be a wall at 3700lbs load rating. Like to break that if I can.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
You should be stepping up to a medium duty chassis if you need more than 14,800 lb gvw...

There are SAE standards for max GVW for a given wheel bolt pattern, this is why some of the domestic 1-ton rigs are stepping up to larger than 8x6.5 patterns! Going to a 4500/5500 chassis opens you up to 4150 and 5000 lb wheel ratings.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The OKA chassis. It uses Dana 60 and 70 axle assemblies that are already rated higher with 8x6.5, but with steel wheels.
The #70 can be rated to 8500lb with steel 8x6.5 rims but the aluminium rims only get to 7400lb which is enough for the planned load but I would like some more margin.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

billiebob

The safety margin with wheels is huge, there really is no reason to buy rims that exceed your expected load. Buy the lightest rims which meet your designed load. Make sure they have good reviews and are used, available on an international market.

ps are you running duals or super singles. and what are the tires rated for?
and how much do the steel rims rated for 8500# weigh, vs the alloys rated for 7400#?
I live in logging country. Payload is king but.......
steel rims off road tend to be better suited to severe duty.
alloy rims unless specific for off road use tend to be engineered for highway use.

Don't focus too much on the pennies.

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Maybe, when everything goes to plan, but the rims are the weakest link and if I can close that gap I would.
Super singles. The tyres are not chosen yet but I expect they will be 37/12.5R17. The ones on the existing rig are 305/70R19.5 which are rated much higher than needed (and heavy), but that has translated to 100% reliability.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I will certainly be staying with super singles, but the existing tyre and rim combination weighs 176lbs each (80kg) and that needs to be substantially reduced with as little reduction to load rating as possible. That is the task at hand.
I thought there might still be some forged alloy rims around with higher ratings than the cast varieties, but maybe that is a dream?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I've seen some OKA's that appear to use the Rockwell "big six" bolt pattern. Probably better luck finding a higher rated wheel in that pattern. It will probably be for a 17.5 or 19.5 tire though.

I am quite familiar with the Oka, I have followed it since its’ inception with the Perkins 4.236.
I would consider 20” Hutchinson aluminium rims with beadlocks, either 275/80R20 XZL 128K 1800kg 37” or 335/80R20 XZL 150K 2500 kg 41.7”. 9” or 11” rims respectively.
If you went with the 335s you might want to increase R&P ratio and install diff locks if you don’t already have them.
The 275s are only 34kg, the 335s are 58kg. The 335s have 60-65% greater footprint than 275s. The 275s are about 2.5% less than your current tires in footprint. But about 12kg lighter. And about 0.7” taller.
Feel free to PM me.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The OKA was built with the Perkins Phaser 110 (4L). Both of mine (1993 & 1994) still have this original engine although many here are getting Cummins 6BT transplants with 6 speed Allisons. Attractive, but heavier. :(
But we digress :)
20" tyres are getting a bit too short in sidewall than I would prefer. The vehicle was originally built with 9.00x16s, but they are getting rare or expensive or both although the project chassis currently has 325/85R16 MXL Michelins on steel rims which are the duck's guts except for the extreme weight and the cost which makes the eyes water.
17" seems to be a size that offers good (and improving) choice and competitive prices.
But the discussion is helpful, thanks.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

They currently make a 325/85R16 XZL which are obviously expensive but otherwise great. 2500kg/tire, at 110kph.
So far 17” seems to be a bit lacking in wheel and tire load capacity, not coincidentally correlated with lack of tires with steel sidewalls.
Hutchinson would probably build you 5-6 2 piece bolt-together wheels with your bolt pattern suitable for rubber beadlocks, at great expense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94