Which 5000# suspension?

rebar

Adventurer
Ive been looking for a 7'x16 dual axle narrow track enclosed trailer to convert into a "overland" trailer, and Im even considering buying new as rare as they are. But I found a used single axle 7x14 narrow track trailer which got me thinking...

The single axle I'm guessing is going to fare much better when I encounter a deep rut or rock that completely overloads one of the dual axles. Plus, single would be allot easier to upgrade longer leafs, probably impossible to do with dual axles.. So I think I answered my own question except for, which setup..

What replacement axle with 8x6.5" hubs and spring combo should I consider for a combined weight of 5000 pounds with no more than 4" of lift? Narrow track trailers are inherently top heavy, so it would be really nice to have adjustable height for loading toys and highway driving, and then for more clearance when overlanding. But if adjustable height is asking to much, which axle and leaf springs should I consider when one of my main concerns is not to tear up the trailer and gear on wash board roads?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Why not consider independent suspension. I know lot of folks like Timbren but to me to not offer enough travel. Take a look at CruiseMaster.

Simplicity Suspension makes a independent leaf spring suspension. They also offer it in a coil spring variety.
http://www.simplicityaxles.com.au/
I am not a fan of air bags when the primary and majority of use is off road. They do offer the ability to control ride height and maintain that height no matter the load. It is very easy to overload the chassis when you can add more air to level the trailer.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
What ever you choose I would consider some type of rebound control damper (shock absorber) as part of the suspension system to control trailer bounce especially if you are going to used a single 5000 lb rated axle.

john61ct

Adventurer
Timbren doesnt make adjustable height.
Don't know about the 5000# ones, but some come in three versions, regular, 4" drop and 4" lift.

Just weld in a spacer tube if you need a very specific height.

The "hard vs soft" issue is handled by ensuring you buy the weight rating close to what your actual load will be, standard being 80%.

Obviously a 2000# load on a 5000# suspension will be very stiff.

But a 4500# load should be very smooth, airbags don't need a lot of travel.

Apparently some sizes' the bags can be swapped, people buy the bigger unit for HD offroad use, but then put the lighter-load bags in.

eTrailer.com has great CS

rebar

Adventurer
Trailers don't need lots of travel. They don't articulate.They only need good compliance over bumps.

This sums it up for me.. I need to stick with a simple single tube axle and then get creative with airbags and a 3 link, with bushings on the trailing links and a wishbone upper instead of a panhard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior