Which 4 season tent?

AxleIke

Adventurer
mine is the old sierra designs 3/4 season convertible. Also not made any more. When it was just me, it was the perfect tent. In the desert, zip it up, and it was too hot, but not sandy. In the rockies, just unzip enough to be comfy, and can be zipped during the night as temps drop. Always nice an cozy.

Now with the family, we need a 4 man, and I can't find a 4 man for the desert.

Here's my take on the "4 season car camping" gig:

1st: need to be able to spend 2-3 days in it if stuck "out there" in foul weather.
2nd: need to be able to stand up (rules out the VE-24, thought "the ticket" for Everest like conditions).
3rd: need to move around in it/cook
4th: need big vestibule for storage
5th: straight poles w/o corners (preferably DAC aluminum). Corner piece breaks/bends....sol
6th: Fairly quick set up.
7th: tolerated heavy/bulky due to vehicle support.

My vote: Redverz motorcycle touring tent. Why?
-during "snowverland expo", my wife/my neighbor had one. Set it up solo during howling wind (we struggled with a 4 season stand up dome/mainly because of fly). During massive "mud-a-thon" he invited us over for diner/drinks....friggin HUGE vestibule w primo weather protection (that's the area the "garage" they drive their motorcycles in...did I say motorcyclist are more anal than us vehicle supported nuts). Could of sat there all night during nasty cold rain/snow storm. Went out and bought one as soon as I got home!

Downside:
1. dirt floor for that wonderful vestibule....solution...cut up old destroyed Coleman stand up dome to act as ground tarp for this baby.
2. Bulky....see #7 above
3. Non free standing (could be an issue....say Moab).
4. sleeping area really only handle 2 people....dogs might be a problem...probably can handle it.

All in all, a really good compromise.

12/31/16 edit:

'course, if you want a full sized bullet proof 4 season dome (ve-24 style), check these babies out: http://arcticoventent.com/tents/all-tents/arctic-oven-igloo/

Plus, the have larger extreme tents for you and your entire posse!

Pricey but.......(shamelessly borrowed from IH8TMUD).

True enough. When I head to Utah I often toss my Bibler I-Tent in the car in the event the winds start jamming. That's the only 4-season tent I can tolerate being in when it gets warm and sandy which is counter intuitive given how thick the fabric is.

My other super sandy favorite is an old Mountain Hardware Mountain Wing. They only made it for one year in 2000 or so. Three hoops which are indestructible in the worst winds, minimal mesh and several zipped vents. Love that thing.

I will also say, I have a Hilleberg Staika and a Hilleberg Nammatj GT2 and both are pretty good in sand, but they're brutal in a warm summer rain.

altaboy

Observer
Rain/humidity/heat: Well, I bow to first hand experience.

Don't get much of that here in SoCal (though it seems more frequent......thanks global warming).

I can verify that in my Redverz does get toasty in desert sun, but shoot, even under an awning it get toasty.

So, I'm thinking one can't find the perfect test in a stand-up 3-4 season variety. Oh well......

Honu

lost on the mainland
used to have a Moss and Sierra design both were great in sand

ended up doing this live off the land thing and spent 6 months straight in my sierra design on a beach
dirt here in AZ is worse than sand on a beach though big time !!!!

Last edited:

altaboy

Observer
gotta love the 30s "pitch" (no pun intended).

When all said in done, 30s seems to turn into 15m at bare minimum (check spot out...drink beer...pull out from rig....drink beer.....spread out/move....drink beer, erect.....drink beer...stake.....drink beer....pull rest of debris (sleeping bag, clothing, beer) from rig and throw in tent....drink beer)....realize you drank 7 beers in 15m....drink beer.

Ask me how I know (15m seems to be fastest I can set up with my tent of the year). Note: I have not ever drank 7 beers in 15, though did see 4 groovy UV (UVM) freshman drink a keg of beer in 15m (opened tap, never closed it, this being the late '70s)....scary!

DGarman

What could go wrong?
Ellis Canvas Tents

I've been using a Range Tent from David Ellis in Durango CO for almost 20 years now..... my first was a 10 X 10, but I sold it and downsized to an 8 X 8....... the smaller one is perfect for me and one big dog and all our gear.
The one I sold is still going strong on fly fishing trips in Wyoming.

http://www.elliscanvastents.com/products/range-tent?variant=21415267652

I can usually have it set up in about 10-15 minutes while drinking beer (as was mentioned before!)....... Someone trying to set a record could probably do it in less than 5 minutes I figure..... pound in 4 stakes and raise the A-frame.....

Works great in BIG winds, heavy rain and snow....... the screened door and screened window help out in warmer weather..... and you can stand up inside it.

You do have to deal with all your neighbors wanting to come over to check it out.....

I just bought a Kodiak Canvas VX 10x10 tent after going thru the same search. I like that it's tall, strong, and easy to put up. It's heavy, but most quality items are. I really like how it doesn't require guidelines cept for the awning if it's up. The overriding factor for me was the that the new VX models have windows on all sides of the tent. Most of my camping will be in Texas during summer so having big windows on all 4 sides of tent that almost reach the ground to stay cool was a big deal for me. I tested it out last weekend. Think I'm going to get the Kodiak screen house too.

Others on my short list were black pine and bushtec. I really like the bushtec, but wanted bigger windows and knew it was not going to be as easy to setup.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I just bought a Kodiak Canvas VX 10x10 tent after going thru the same search. I like that it's tall, strong, and easy to put up. It's heavy, but most quality items are. I really like how it doesn't require guidelines cept for the awning if it's up. The overriding factor for me was the that the new VX models have windows on all sides of the tent. Most of my camping will be in Texas during summer so having big windows on all 4 sides of tent that almost reach the ground to stay cool was a big deal for me. I tested it out last weekend. Think I'm going to get the Kodiak screen house too.

Others on my short list were black pine and bushtec. I really like the bushtec, but wanted bigger windows and knew it was not going to be as easy to setup.

Glad to hear they now have a model that has windows on all four sides. Enjoy it, it's a great tent.

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
To be honest I really laughed out loud when I read "pull out rest of debris" at times it really does seem like debris particularly when you are hauling gear for a group. Although, at Expo West last year two guys pulled the tents from the trailer and with zero instruction figured it out and had them set up when I got back from registration tent with exhibitor badges for the crew.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
In lower, warmer, wetter conditions most 4-season tents can be utterly miserable. Not only uncomfortable, the excessive condensation can make the concept of a shelter a moot point.

This has to be true because in the last 10 years I've found that even an all-mesh tent can be unbearably hot in the summer. I can't imagine sleeping in a 4-season tent in hot, humid weather. In my geographic area summer days and nights are now much hotter than they used to be and this entirely changed my camping habits (when and where I camp) AND my gear. I've been pushed gradually farther north and my tent went from all canvas to mesh doors to mesh on all four sides. My sleeping bag went from flannel to down to a light cotton comforter in the summer.

I've spent quite a few winter nights being comfortable in an all-mesh tent. Entirely possible with the right sleeping bag and mattress, and no significant snow in the forecast. Photo: Kelty Trail Ridge 2 in January.

There are well-made three-season tents that can withstand quite a bit of wind and some snow. If you like to save money, the Alps Mountaineering Extreme 3P is such a tent, I think: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/tents/backpacking-tents/extreme-3

Attachments

• IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    580.6 KB · Views: 18

Bobzdar

Observer
Cabelas make a couple, the Alaknak and the Big Horn. The Alaknak can be opened quite a bit ventilation wise - there are vents in the roof, vents above the doors, side vents and 4 windows along with the doors, all of which can be either screened or fully closed - except the doors which have a small area above them always open to prevent condensation. Not sure about the big horn. Both have built in provisions for a stove if you're going to be in really cold weather for extended periods. I have the big Alaknak (13'x27'), but the small one (12'x12') would be good for 2-4 people that want some room. Vestibule is optional, but I'd strongly consider it for winter camping as it allows ingress/egress without exposing the inside to wind. We camped in 30mph winds at temps that dropped to 12 degrees. The wood stove went out one night and we were fine in our sleeping bags, but it was definitely chilly in the morning and first thing we did was fire up the stove, though I will say a 12'x12' would be alot easier to keep warm. We had rain, sleet and 2-3" of snow, no issues with the tent other than some condensation, but that's to be somewhat expected. The only thing I didn't like is the spikes which were difficult on frozen ground and bent kind of easily, and there are a lot that need to be pounded in. Setup is 45 minutes solo, 20-30 with help (most of the time is spent putting in the stakes).

The 12'x12' for 2 people and 2 dogs wouldn't be bad, weighs around 100lbs.

You can also look at the crua tri, that's a 3 person with fully insulated sleeping area that's supposed to be good in both warm and cold. The insulation keeps warm in winter and prevents condensation in summer. I have the bigger Loj on order, will put something up on here when I get a chance to take that out as I plan to use it both summer and winter with 4 people and a dog.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior