where_the_heffalump_roams 917 AF

Just did actually.
We couldn’t get the alternator casing to hold. So I got towed to a shop that does big truck repair and fabrication.

I’m asking them to pull the motor mount and repair it. I’m also going to ask them to help with the brakes and see what else they can tackle.

I’ll have to figure out the alternator still.
As of right now, I’m looking at this one to get me going and later kept as a spare.

I’ve not found an equivalent other than the $2.5k USD option :(. But I’m hoping to take the alternator to this place and see what the can do. https://www.rite-wayelectric.com/products-services.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was referring to the Bosch A172 replacement which I noticed was pricey at $1395. I myself would get the Leece Neville same item for $595. It’s also “direct replacement” for your part number. And if it works, carry a spare. And when you can, replace the motor mount with a new one, the repaired one will still be suffering from metal fatigue.

I was referring to the Bosch A172 replacement which I noticed was pricey at $1395. I myself would get the Leece Neville same item for $595. It’s also “direct replacement” for your part number. And if it works, carry a spare. And when you can, replace the motor mount with a new one, the repaired one will still be suffering from metal fatigue.
Sorry if I'm missing it, I don't see a Bosch A172 replacement? Canyon share a link please?
I agree about the mount, I just don't know if a replacement is avaible or how much it would be at this time. I'm waiting to hear back from unimogcanada. If one is available/afforddable. I'd probably want to swap out any bushings if there are not a part of the package as well.

Last edited:
It’s in the Bosch link you shared with me. And also in the other link that had Prestolite/Leece Neville alternators. Both were 155a/24v and “direct replacement” for your part number that you shared with us. The latter is $800 cheaper than the former.
Your part number is near the bottom of both links.

The truck was towed to a repair yard and an aftermarket alternator has been ordered to use as an immediate replacement. The broken alternator was taken to a specialty shop in San Francisco who is trying to find a replacement casing. When I first bought the heffalump, the windshield wipers did not work. I replaced it with an aftermarket unit, but it only has 2 speeds vs 3. So I also dropped off the OEM windshield wiper motor to get repaired.

Unimogcanada found a replacement mount for $1600 CAD before shipping and I requested that be ordered. It will most likely be cheaper to repair the old one, but that also leaves the potential for future failures at other stress points. I start a 3 week work rotation in a couple of days and I'm hoping the shop can use that time to repair the parking brake too. Crossing my fingers the parts can be obtained in a timely manner. It took a couple of months to source all the brake parts. That still leaves about half a dozen of smaller projects that need to be tackled. My hope was to spend this summer expolering B.C. Canada while slowly making my way to Alaska. I might not be able to hit AK, but perhaps I can still explore B.C this summer and fall if some of these projects get cleared.

But thanks for the referral!

It's been a very interesting week with sourcing these parts. I really appreciate all the support, messages, and assistance from everyone on this forum. I've been able to make new contacts for future part needs.

In terms of travel goals, I really wanted to venture into B.C. Canada and Alaska. But these these systems have kept me from going that route. It's very interesting how life can sometimes call you to places. I've been in contact with some nuns in Baja and that place has been really heavy on my mind for quite some time. They have a small convent that is ran by nuns with nursing degrees. They do a lot of outreach in the streets with homeless populations. They house homeless geriatric men with high medical needs. They have some pretty severe medical cases there and they need all the support that they can get. The nuns have provided an open invitation to return. I have very fond memories of staying with them and did a lot of writing under their pepper tree. A work contract might be coming up that would enable me to stay in Baja a few weeks a month. I'm strongly considering going that route once the heffalump gets back on its way again.

Well, the truck is still at the truck yard in Hayward, CA. That place was highly recommended yet service has not been great. I get projects get delayed and many places have been shorthanded. But communication has been terrible and very frustrating. To add insult to injury, the truck yard started on repairs recently they found we had received the wrong cradle mount.
IMG_9847.jpegimage005.png
The vendor that sold it was very professional about it and has agreed to accept a return thought he was unable to source the correct one. Another vendor has confirmed that he can obtain one, however he doesn't prioritize these sort of needs so there will be no ETA. *edit* a replacement mount is now unavailable. :(

The other frustrating aspect is that the truck yard was supplied with OEM parts from MB to repair the rear brakes. They sent out the shoes to be riveting and their contacts will not perform this with MSDS sheets which I've been unable to find anywhere. If anyone has access to this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

The last update from the shop was last week when I called. The update was that I might receive an update this week. Pretty frustrating when you live in a rig like this.

These past weeks have been spent picking up extra work hours to fill the gaps and adapting to the situation. Friends in California, Washington, and Idaho have been nice and allowed me to visit them. I'm now currently road tripping with an old friend. We drove her jeep from Idaho to Nevada to visit her mother and help with some home repairs. Her mother lives out in a remote area that has some very interesting history. A trip highlight has been seeing feral burros of Nevada. One was seen braying last evening on a ridge line high above her home. I got pretty geeked out about that!

IMG_6709.jpeg8FA5EF41-518F-43C5-890C-8DB8C0263D38.jpegIMG_6765.jpegIMG_6782.jpegIMG_6785.jpegIMG_6786.jpegIMG_6789.jpegIMG_6803.jpeg

Last edited:
Sadly, I don't have any info on them other than they are the OEM parts for my truck and came from MB in Germany. They did not come with any MSDS sheets. The vendor who I bought them from also contacted MB Germany and was not able to source any MSDS data. I also contacted another vendor from Germany who was not able to source any MSDS sheets.
I can possibly source SDS/MSDS. Although the MFGR should have them available as it’s a law. Required in most EU, and The States. I assume they are ceramic? Do you have any other info on them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke