Where to sleep

silverscout

Adventurer
I’m vacillating between two positions. Do I make a shelf system for my LX 450 that allows me to sleep inside and store some items on an INTI roof rack? Or purchase a quality roof tent (i.e. a Maggiolina) to sleep in? I see pro’s and cons with both.

I’m leaning towards sleeping inside the truck because it’s extremely water proof, safe and puts less weight on the roof. But, I will have to construct one, which is heavy in itself and I’ll have to have some how lock my personal items on the roof.

A roof tent on the other hand would allow me to safely store my possessions inside the truck while having a sealed area to sleep in. But condensation will be trapped inside the tent every time I pack up camp. I fear it won’t dry.

Does any one have any strong feelings one way or another?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I'm a roof-topper myself...even though I transferred everything to an Adventure trailer late last year. :victory:

Camp_7521b.jpg

WhtMtn3.jpg

Diablo_0358.JPG

That's a Maggiolina Airland tent on top of the various vehicles.

All of the sleeping situations are terrific. The top of the Sequoia posed no problems, but wasn't the right "rig" for serious off road exploring. Nice for long distance driving and camping though.

The top of the FJ40 was fine but it changed the handling of the rig both on the trail and on highway. Not acceptable. So I finally opted for the trailer arrangement. So far, very nice indeed!

As for the wet issue, I have had the tent in several very very wet strong monsoon thunderstorms here in AZ. I closed it up wet and simply opened it up inside the garage at home to dry. Worked fine for me, but I don't know what your weather situation is like.

That's my 2 cents...
Good luck!
:D
Ed

silverscout

Adventurer
Thanks guys, those trucks look good with a big tent on top. They are as they say, "**************".

I'm still leaning toward inside. Kate's into sleeping in the truck as she's never been to Mexico and feels that the Banditos are out to get us!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I sleep inside my jeep. I'm not opposed to a roof tent, but they are expensive, and my soft top won't support one.

I keep everything packed in plastic tubs ("action-packers"), and a large duffle bag. It only takes a couple minutes to empty the jeep and set up camp, and I have a ton of space inside for gear and the dog (when driving).

Security won't change much with or without a roof top tent...unless your concern is with people coming through camp and stealing stuff while you are sleeping. I have never had this problem or concern. I am more concerned during the day while I am out hiking/kayaking/etc. So, when I leave camp for such activities, I just put everything back into the jeep (although not quite as organized as when I am travelling), lock the doors and off I go. With a roof tent you would have to do the same thing.

That said, I am considering a chaser trailer with a tent on top of it....it would be nice to have a second seat sometimes.

Grouseman

Adventurer
Silver,

Sleeping in the truck has advantages and disadvantages. I use a Aero bed on a platform. The bed itself is pretty thick, so it makes it hard to get out of the truck. It also doesn't leave you lots of room for moving around, it is thick. We are going to invest in say a 3" foam mattress and put an egg shell cover over it. You will also need to make some screens for your windows. Be sure to try out what bed system you decide on before making the trip. Also would invest in a good 12 volt fan for air circulating. Actually if you do it right, it will be better than a tent on top. That being said, I am fixing up a M101 trailer with a tent with lots of room in it. (Motorcycle Camper Design) We will have a Queen size area for sleeping, and a Vestibule or Stand-up area for entrance to the tent. Great little design. We will use the truck platform on trips when we don't have to time or inclination to set up camp. We actually did that on our last trip. So it is a good idea to have two systems. So hook yourself up inside your truck, etc, you won't regret it.:coffee:

Gman

Attachments

• Cruiser in Campground # 2 NC  Outer Banks.jpg
    Cruiser in Campground # 2 NC Outer Banks.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles