Where to shop for new 80 or 100

Reata Rover

Adventurer
Are there any particular companies or places that are re-building 80's for resale? Any groups like Bear Valley Rovers that do nothing but LC's

cruiser guy

Explorer
TLC in LA do restos on LandCruisers but '80's or 100's shouldn't need anything yet.

They aren't Land Rovers after all :sombrero:

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
FWIW, these guys are pretty optimistic on the 80's. We see a lot of them that was bought used. I can assure you that most of them need a fair amount of work when bought. They do not fall apart, but these days we do see the ones that are rusted, or mechanically so neglected that they need some $'s to get back in shape.

I only point this out so that you don't think you can buy one of these and not leave $'s in the maintenance budget when you are all said and done.

fowldarr

Explorer
Part of the fun of owning a land cruiser is doing the work yourself, If you're willing to pay resto prices, I would look for a good low-mileage late model 80 and use the rest of the money for upgrades.

KevinNY

Adventurer
Just keep searching for one. I just bought a 1997 out of New Mexico that looks new underneath and inside. The black paint needs a little love from 12 years in the sun but that is just elbow grease and beer.

Attachments

• 40fd_4.jpg
    40fd_4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 78

Reata Rover

Adventurer
Kevin NY,

I know you just found a good one in Albuquerque but I was wondering if you just happened upon it or if you were looking in a specific place or found it at Carmax or what?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'd suggest checking out the for sale section (classifieds) at www.ih8mud.com

There are tons of well-equipped and taken care of 80s there. Review the "newbie's guides" on www.sleeoffroad.com for potential maintenance items for the various years.

The nice thing about 80s is that most, if not all, maintenance items can be done by the average home mechanic, and the extent of members on 'mud can be used to assist items like birfield repacks in the area where you live. I know here in Flagstaff we're starting to organize a "birfield party" so to speak, where we'll all chip in for needed grease and oils and do several rigs' maintenance at one time, along with some pizza and beer....

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles