Where to mount my kayak? Side mount or HF trailer?

CaptainBuilt

I am looking at fishing kayaks to up my fishing game. And before I buy one, I wanna figure out HOW I am going to transport it.

Just for reference, I have a 12ft box truck that I am converting to a RV.

It can't go on the roof, because it has now 2 more panels than shown. No room at all on top.

It would be mounted to this side:

TE7WxXql.jpg

Or maybe a HF trailer? I've owned a few HF trailers, and backing them up is a nightmare.

Has anyone tried a side mount rack for a heavier kayak used for fishing? It would have to go up pretty high to clear the rearview mirrors and shore power inputs, etc.

dstefan

Check these out. https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingKayaks/385fta

I just got the non-fishing version. Very impressive build quality. I’m still trying to figure how to cram the folded up version in my MUCH smaller rig, but its’s impressively compact vs a hard shell and lighter too. Can also take a trolling motor.
Edit: Has Drop stitched, high pressure, quite rigid floor that allows standing up in it. Which, I assume, is important for fishing.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Fishing kayaks are generally big and heavy and have a lot of accessories, at least my Hobie does, so this isn't an easy one. How much weight will a side mount hold?

We have been pretty happy with our Advanced Elements inflatable tandem for road trips. They make several models, not just tandems. They do not replace a hard shell kayak but are closer than anything else I've ever seen. Fits in a bag about 3'x2'x2' and it's a heavy bag!

IMO adding a trailer to a van ruins everything. The whole idea of a van is fitting it all in one parking space to me, so I've never considered anything that would compromise that.

CaptainBuilt

Thanks for the replies! Sorry I was out of pocket for a couple days. Traveling for work.

I really like the inflatable kayaks. Maybe even just a two seater for me and the wife. And fish out of it too.

I have lots of research to do!

I agree about a trailer. That's why I don't want one. We like to travel light and fast. And not have anything like a trailer stop that from happening.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
X2 ?? For the Advanced Element inflatables.

We have 3, a small single, a lg single, and a big dble. The lg single and big dble are very stable, track well and durable. These two have an option for a more rigid floor which allows a person (with good balance skills) to stand up in them.

Compared to a large heavy hard shell kayak, I believe these inflatables are more stable, have better buoyancy, and more important are much easier to climb back into if you fall out or want to exit the rig to take a cooling off of dip in the water. Once you’ve had some practice setting them up, they only take about 10 minutes to pump up and put together.

And another option would be one of these newer, very rigid inflatable stand on top paddle boards. They roll up into relatively small stuff sacks, and you can get a portable buckle down seat for them, so you can paddle them like a kayak. Because they are more rigid than many of the inflatable kayaks, they are easier to stand on and cast from.

You might find a place where you can rent both of these types of “boats” and see what you think works the best for you. By the way if you buy an inflatable, try to see if you can get a factory second, which is one way to save a couple hundred bucks on your order!

here’s a cheap option on a short double inflatable kayak (not an AE) that Costco had earlier this year. Maybe you can find one at a similar price online somewhere.
202F3636-77B8-45ED-A107-275BFB5F26B7.jpeg

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
3D7A7BB1-77DE-4B77-B498-F43FD63E201C.jpeg

Here’s another option for storing hard shells on the back of your rig. This one sticks out farther because of the bike next to it. I’ve also seen these where they store flat and upright against the back of a camper. Of course this doesn’t help you if you have a rear entry door on your box truck!

Willsfree

The double stack...mount on top of the solar panels, put the panels under the kayaks on slides to pull out toward the sun. I'd probably look at the Advanced Tandem for packing inside. Side mount is going to make you too wide.

1657735310045.png

cianksmith

Retro a single jet ski trailer. Super easy to back up, you can mod it to hold all your gear for fishing, vests, water play etc and keep it all in one spot. So lightweight you dont even know its there.

robert

Expedition Leader
I do not like hauling a trailer if I can help it, that said, when I was in the VW bus scene a lot of people had the cheap Harbor Freight trailers. VW people tend to be frugal (read cheap) and the HF trailers fit the bill (I see they've gone up a lot). For hauling boats you need to extend the tongue, which makes it much easier to tow and especially to back. Ideally replace the hardware or at least use nylocks or some other way of locking the nuts and bolts as well as brace the body to keep it square. You'll also want to clean the bearings and repack them with good grease (and possibly carry a spare set as they used to be an odd size, assuming they still are) and use dielectric grease on the electrical stuff. Some of the folks in the club had a LOT of miles on theirs with no issues.

That said, an inflatable will generally be easier to carry but they don't handle as well.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My $0.02

1) If you have a side rack, you’ll have to be aware of maximum vehicle width for roadways. I believe the max here is 8’6” without special transport permits. I’m not sure how wide your box is, but for comparison sake I’ve got an 88” wide box with Dusllies that stick out about 5” on each side. 102” - 93” would only leave 9” for a kayak & rack on its side. Possibly my measurements are off a bit, but I suspect it’ll be tight.

2) standing them up on end looks like a decent idea… but height could become an issue. If the bow of the boat is a foot off the ground you’ll be limited to a 12’ long kayak, and roughly 3’ would stick up above the top of your box. This could leave it vulnerable to overhead hazards.

3) trailers add length and have downsides… but also offer more space and flexibility. A 5 x 12 fully enclosed UHaul was barely noticeable behind our ambulance when driving forward. However parking and drive throughs were a whole different story.

so pick your poison every option has limitations and is a compromise. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94