Where to mount a mppt solar controller?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Optima Yellows are dual purpose, Reds are starting, and Blues come in both versions (differentiated by the shade of gray on the case, confusing to many, including some of their dealers).

Last edited:

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Give Bruce Essig a buzz sometime if you have specific Qs, Tel: +1 (660) 429-7506 / bruce.essig@enersys.com / Fax: +1 (660) 429-1758

But as with any AGM, they are very susceptible to early death if not properly coddled: shallow DoD, getting back to spec'd endAmps 100% Full most cycles, etc etc.

Very susceptible to chronic PSOC as well as excessive overcharging.

You are making my argument for me, so thanks for that. Odysseys are robust but fussy, which takes them out of the "keep it simple" approach that I had recommended. Great battery (apparently) if your charging system is designed for it, and if you are prepared to replace regularly (as with police, fire, and , military). I have talked with Bruce Essig a couple of times and he was very helpful. I did everything he recommended, including getting three different Odyssey chargers, reconditioning regularly, monitoring volts and amps in, keeping a battery log (big PITA), swapping my 160amp alternator for a 270. The result was that the last two G31s were each done in three years, same as the first G31. On the other hand, my Northstar G31 in a different truck, installed the same month as the last Odyssey, just hums along on a stock Toyota alternator and regulator, has never been on a shore charger, has never given me a lick of trouble after about 37 months. It's simple, and simple is good.

I don't know why my Odysseys have given such short service lives. Odyssey tech support does not know. Could be my truck is cursed.

john61ct

Adventurer
when people here are saying 'Optima' are they meaning the Yellow only, or has the Red somehow (improperly) become conflated with these sort of deep cycle operations?
Since JCI bought the line from Enersys/Odyssey, quality has declined to the point that none of the "colors" are suitable for true deep cycling usage.

Fine as heavy duty Starters, some occasional dual use.

john61ct

Adventurer
You are making my argument for me, so thanks for that. Odysseys are robust but fussy, which takes them out of the "keep it simple" approach that I had recommended
That is, as I said, true for **all** sealed deep cycling lead.

Odyssey is among the best out of that class, so to be recommended for those that (think they) need AGM.

In the US quality deep cycling FLA is available for ~$1 / AH.

Not as true in other markets.

john61ct

Adventurer
And in another forum a member rants and raves how terrible Northstar is, every time I include them in the top three recos.

But just like Odyssey, thousands of off-grid full-timers swear by both.

Lifeline being the third.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
That is, as I said, true for **all** sealed deep cycling lead.

Understood, but Odyssey seems to be the only mass market, dual purpose AGM that requires 14.7V to charge successfully. All the others that I have looked at are supposed to be happy at 14.2V-14.6V, which is the range that most alternators deliver. Even some multi-stage AGM conditioning chargers only go to 14.6V. That makes the Odyssey "fussy" in comparison to other similar AGMs, like Northstar.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
And in another forum a member rants and raves how terrible Northstar is, every time I include them in the top three recos.

Lots of posters on most forums don't have a very good grasp on reality.

devero4

Adventurer
My 0.02: After I figured out what I was doing wrong, I have had good luck with East Penn Intimidator batteries which IMO are not given enough credit. Every battery Ive bought from them has had a full replacement 1-2 year warranty and lists the B/A/F voltages right on top. The prices are also mucher cheaper than Odyssey.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The best battery guy I knew (now retired) was a Deka dealer and he told me not to buy Dekas, lots of warranty claims. Another really smart battery guy loves Dekas. Go figure.

paranoid56

Adventurer
heres mine, mounted behind the rear seats along with other ********. now that its all mounted i need to make a proper panel, cover it with fabric then mount and rewire it, as i dont think i need to add anything more lol
20180914_192403.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior