Where to look for a used Fuso FG140?

rickgrob

I have done the regular google searches, but wanted to reach out to see if there were any tips from the community. I'm in the US. Also, while I'm here, another question... as I hope to build out a vehicle that can take my wife and I south (down to Panama at least) are people sticking to the 2006 and earlier models? Or is there a way to do a delete on the later models?

Thanks,
R

C p weinberger

Look on craigslist, look at more remote locations selling a truck who don’t realize how much a pre 2007 FG is worth.
FGs in good shape and reasonably priced are a unicorn .
Don’t touch a FG snow plow truck (or any FG for that matter) unless you take it to a qualified chassis shop to verify there is no significant corrosion damage.
My 2 cents

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Yep, craigslist is a good start. I use Searchtempest as a metacrawler search engine for craigslist. Concentrate your search in the northern states, rocky mountain states, etc. Also some East Coast areas.

Expect to spend some time chasing one down, expect to look at a few before finding a decent one. If you do find a decent one, don't waffle, grab it.

As CPW mentioned, pay attention to frame conditions. The frames on them are a corrosion point, and also pay attention to any mods done to the frames. Ideally, no additional holes and no welding on it.

If you're going ULSW, then earlier is best, don't expect to do any kind of delete in the U.S.

Alternately, depending on how much work you want to do, you can always do a 4x4 conversion on an FE. Or just go with a rear limited slip or locker, and call it good.

ControlFreak

Most trucks that old here are rotted out from the salt. I'd be searching south of the salt belt, or out west where they only use sand. Not only are FGs really rare here in ANY capacity their resale is rather high...hence why I went brand new....I couldn't find a decent used one.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Did you see this
Kevin
Price reduced* 2001 ISUZU NPR Auto 4x4 Platform with Garage $11.5k | Expedition Portal

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Several of our customers got lucky in Alberta Canada. But be warned, they need rust treatment....

Attachments

• 90464609-7611-412B-B472-9AD00A727120.jpeg
    90464609-7611-412B-B472-9AD00A727120.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 24

rickgrob

Don’t touch a FG snow plow truck (or any FG for that matter) unless you take it to a qualified chassis shop to verify there is no significant corrosion damage.
My 2 cents

Thanks for the advice, it makes sense. I live in the Midwest now, but grew up in Canada... salt, snow, and time really take their toll.

rickgrob

Alternately, depending on how much work you want to do, you can always do a 4x4 conversion on an FE. Or just go with a rear limited slip or locker, and call it good.

I was thinking about this as well, not so much the conversion, as I would be a bit nervous about long term reliability. However going with a limited slip back end was another possibility. Not as good as full four wheel drive, but can get you out of quite a few spots.

ControlFreak

Yep, I'm from Ottawa.... rust is a common foe.

Rick are you in Ottawa now? I live in Ottawa and bought my FG from Central. If you want I can send you the owners contact info; they have some clients in the forestry and landscaping business running FGs and they may have potential leads on used trucks.

If you ever wanna check one out you can take mine for a spin.

rickgrob

Rick are you in Ottawa now? I live in Ottawa and bought my FG from Central. If you want I can send you the owners contact info; they have some clients in the forestry and landscaping business running FGs and they may have potential leads on used trucks.

If you ever wanna check one out you can take mine for a spin.

Actually I'll be back in Ottawa over the holidays. Might take you up on that if you are game!

rickgrob

Yep, craigslist is a good start. I use Searchtempest as a metacrawler search engine for craigslist. Concentrate your search in the northern states, rocky mountain states, etc. Also some East Coast areas.

Expect to spend some time chasing one down, expect to look at a few before finding a decent one. If you do find a decent one, don't waffle, grab it.

As CPW mentioned, pay attention to frame conditions. The frames on them are a corrosion point, and also pay attention to any mods done to the frames. Ideally, no additional holes and no welding on it.

If you're going ULSW, then earlier is best, don't expect to do any kind of delete in the U.S.

Thanks Czechsix, I took your advice and Searchtempest is a pretty useful tool. However, having done that, FGs just seem rare in general regardless of year. The ones I have found were dump trucks and snow plows and looked tired. I am not against some vehicle rehab work, but I worry about the bones of those trucks. I am interested in any links you might have to a FE 4X4 conversion as those do seem reasonable to find. Lots of box trucks that have a bunch of mileage on them, but not too bad and these trucks are good for a few hundred thousand at least if maintained.

Several of our customers got lucky in Alberta Canada. But be warned, they need rust treatment....

Hi Victorian, would you have any links to places to look? I suppose Kajiji? I actually used to live in Calgary. Rust wasn't too bad, certainly not like Ontario, as the Alberta road crews seem to just like using gravel, at least when I was there. Wasn't unusual to go through a new windshield every year or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94