Where to get it? VHB

jwiereng

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks for the reply. I have heard it is tricky for privateer to get items from MMC. Especially in Canada

Pretty easy in the USA. You are in Canada?

Two other options, not sure if are available in CA.

Shigeta

W6EXP
Thanks for the reply. I have heard it is tricky for privateer to get items from MMC. Especially in Canada

I'm not sure of Canadian restrictions, but as a Joe-schmo, I order for McMaster Carr way too much. Orders usually arrive unbelievably fast—sometimes I'll order at night and I'll have it on my porch when I walk outside to get the mail in the morning.

jwiereng

Pretty easy in the USA. You are in Canada?

Two other options, not sure if are available in CA.

Thanks. I have purchased from Fastenal in the recent past. Local branch receptionist said they do not want to sell to small companies and I was unable to create account and or place an order. Need 50 plus employees she said. I ended up asking a friend to "lend" me his account number and sneak around the silly policy.

Perhaps I'll try again at different branch. Perhaps I will make a fib and say that I employ 51 people.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I would. That's a stupid rule. My local Fastenal won't sell at the counter anymore. They have locked the front door, literally. They must be doing well, I'll take my business elsewhere.

jwiereng

Scott - I'd like to take business elsewhere in response to the silly policy they have. I the case of borrowing my friend account number I needed 4 x 5 inch 3/8 hot dipped galv square u bolts. 3 other hardware suppliers were unable to fill my request, not an item they carried. I was stuck with fastenal.

Last edited:

dstefan

Grainger for 35 yard rolls. Amazon for 15 yard (both 5952). I did some research on the Amazon stuff and what I found is a lot of resellers buy a large roll (35 yards) and rewind it. I have also read 3M only sells some of their VHBs (and I think this applies to 5952, which I use a lot because of its heat tolerance) in the 35 yard rolls. Not sure if that’s true. I have had no trouble with some of the shorter rolls from Amazon. Read the reviews carefully and you can get genuine 3M.

Several years ago I saw on Project Farm on YouTube (great channel if you haven’t seen it. He rigorously test tools and materials and appears not to be sponsored by anybody) a test of VHB tapes. Predictably 3M did quite well, but the runner-up that actually beat 3M in a couple of his tests was LLPT. I have bought and used several rolls from Amazon, and so far I really can’t tell a difference with the 3M. I still use 3M for more critical/structural applications, but especially if I’m gonna use a mechanical fastening with it I use the LLPT tape. It’s a lot cheaper.

depending on the surface, it’s really worthwhile to use 3M’s VHB primer. Especially on non-metallic surfaces it really makes the tape stick. Works great for non VHB items that come with less great adhesive too (velcro, ect)

Reactions: WVI

jwiereng

That is a very informative video. Something to think about LLPT being around 20 cents per foot while VHB is $1 per foot.

dstefan

One thing to be aware of is there are scores of 3M VHB tapes with different characteristics. You can find some good charts and comparison brochures on 3Ms site. They vary in performance around temperatures and substrate material. In the end I ended up calling 3M and got to a technical tape guru who recco’d 5952 for my needs (high heat for extended periods — in Phoenix outdoors).

Theres no comparative info of that sort on the LLPT, so be aware of that. I still think LLPT is good for non-critical uses, but I use both brands still.

jwiereng

ya, there are many many different types. Would the more thicker ones (90 mils) provide any appreciable thermal break when attaching sheet metal to a metal frame?

ScottReb

Adventurer
Try RS Hughes. We get a better price through them and I don't believe they have any shipping restrictions. Go to the 3M site to determine what you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior