Where to get custom bumper?

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Hi, I have a 2001 Chinook on Ford E-350 Super Duty chasis. I am looking for a new front bumper but cannot find anything off the shelf that really fits my needs. Does anyone know good customer fabricator on east coast, or maybe anywhere that does good work? I might be able to get a MOVE bumper to work if it can be fitted for a 16 - 18k winch but they recommend much less.

Should any competent fabricator/welder in my area be able to build to my spec?

I am looking for aluminum (low weight) with steel plate for winch and frame attachments, low profile and one that does not stick out far (Aluminess for my year stick out too far).

Thanks,

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Unless you have a briefcase full of cash, you are probably not going to find what you want.

Should any fabricator be able to build one, yes, maybe, if they do lots of one-off Aluminum work, and are really awesome... like extremely awesome.

The build is not the problem. The design is the problem. And engineering if you really want it to hold an 18k winch. BTW, I’m pretty sure you could rip the frame horns off no matter how well they were bolted with a winch that large.

How stuck are you planning to be?

Drop back to steel with a good design and you will come out far ahead.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Since you are on an E-350, why not check with SportsMobile or other companies that have a lot of experience with E-350s? Their E-350s were available with pretty stout winch bumpers that might be suitable, either as is or as a starting point for customization.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
When you weld aluminum, you severely weaken the welded area- unless you post weld heat treat it. And I’m going to doubt that anyone is heat treating something as large as a bumper.

So while it saves you weight, it may not save you.

And yeah- bolt the winch to the frame.

slimpartywagon

Another problem with your hybrid aluminum/steel bumper idea is that alluminu, and steel chemically dont play well together. The steel causes the aluminum to oxidize very badly. Add in the fact that the vehicles' frame is a ground and you also incorporate electrolysis into the mix and will have all kinds of problems.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Unless you have a briefcase full of cash, you are probably not going to find what you want.
Not evenclose....haha

How stuck are you planning to be?
Hopefully, I will not. The rig is too big and heavy to stretch it capabilities on east coast. Winch is really extra-extra precaution, bumper is for looks and to get robust tow points if I do need help.

Have you checked out U joint Off Road's offerings? Many of their build's have winch bumpers.
Yes, actually been there. Ujoint is steel but based on comments here I may go to steel so Ujoint will be back in mix.

Since you are on an E-350, why not check with SportsMobile or
They use Aluminess bumpers and on my year they stick out tto far for my liking.

ICI is supposedly making aluminum bumpers now but it might be valuable to compartmentalize your winch vs. your bumper; mount the winch to a steel cradle in the frame instead of relying on the bumper mounts for that job.
ICI doesn't look to make one for e series but they do look nice.

When you weld aluminum, you severely weaken the welded area- unless you post weld heat treat it.
Another problem with your hybrid aluminum/steel bumper idea is that alluminu, and steel chemically dont play well together.
Thanks, good info. Based on responses I guess I will look back into steel and make sure wich plate and tow hooks are connected to frame. Steel certainly opens more options for less money.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
My rig is 10,000 lbs, can I get away with a 12k winch, or do I need to stick with min. 16k? The bumper (movebumper.com) I am looking at is advised to stick with 12k max, although it hasn't been tested. I don't expect to get bogged too deep in mud or snow and certainly will not get high centered on anything.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
12K is better than no winch, and will get you out of most situations. If you put a 12K winch on a properly built12K bumper, the winch should stall before you break anything.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
12K is better than no winch, and will get you out of most situations. If you put a 12K winch on a properly built12K bumper, the winch should stall before you break anything.

Thanks, I use of winch to help pull through mud puddle where I am slipping or something but nothing long and deep.

Alloy

Both the reduction in welded strength an the electrolysis are common issue that are easy to overcome.

Rule of thumb. Alum is 1/2 the strength and 1/3 the weight so double the thickness......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles