Where to carry Honda EU2000i

Durango

Adventurer
So for various reasons (don't have solar yet, like to camp in shade, need a back-up way to charge truck battery since we travel solo and mostly because I want one) I am going to buy the Honda EU2000i for our crew cab Ram 2500 with a FWD Hawk camper.

I don't want to carry the genny in our camper and I don't have any outside storage boxes mounted. So my question is can this generator be carried safely inside our cab tucked down on the floor behind the passenger's seat? (I can carry the extra gas stored through the access ports in the Hawk that go to the attachment points of the PU bed.) If the gas tank lid is well sealed will it smell inside the cab?

Thanks,
Steve

Durango

Adventurer
So is anyone using the Yamaha generators? I like Hondas but I'm not fixated on them and I really like the fuel shut-off valve idea. (Yes, I know I can rig one up but still...)

The Yamaha EF2000 appears to be the same as the Honda but 15# lighter AND with a fuel shut-off valve which I like for storing it w/o fuel in the carb. What say you all...

Thanks,
Steve

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
As I recall, the Honda has a vent in the center of the gas cap that has to be opened to allow air in as fuel is sucked out. Because the Honda has a fuel pump, if you don't open that vent, it can actually collapse the fuel tank with vacuum. That vent is often drilled out to install a fitting for the Honda hack of adding an extra fuel tank.

GetImage.ashx

http://www.mayberrys.com/Honda/parts/17620-ZT3-030.aspx

Carl and Mary Hunter went around the world in a Bigfoot camper mounted on a Fuso:

carl_mary_bigfoot.jpg

One of the mods he made to the camper, was to install a small window unit a/c under a dinette seat. He used a Honda to power it, and carried the Honda inside the cabin, next to the a/c under the dinette seat:

image036.jpg

The Honda has a fuel valve, but it's part of the "engine switch" so when you turn it off, it kills the engine - which makes it impossible to turn off the fuel and let the carb run dry. Two common workarounds are to install either a separate fuel cutoff valve, or, disconnect the engine kill switch so you can turn off the fuel and let the carb run dry. You can even install a separate momentary switch and connect the original engine kill switch wiring to it, so you still have the option of shutting down the engine without running the carb dry.

Another option worth considering is the propane conversion (for either the Honda or the Yamaha (and they can also still run on gasoline)):

EU2000-Cylinder.JPG

http://www.propane-generators.com/

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I took two eu2000i from Tennessee to Maine and back inside the Sequoia tow vehicle. Never smelled any gas as long as I kept the fuel cap vent, that DWH discussed, closed.
I still keep them in my garage, with no gas smell.

Do be careful with ethanol fuel. I got sloppy and did not drain the fuel bowl or start them often enough. had to replace one of the carbs.

Norcalfamily

There is a plug that if you disconnect, the EU will run till the carb drys up. This prevents the fuel sitting in the carb. Look it up on YouTube.

quentinorciuch

I have an older Honda eu2000 that I bought used. The shell looks beat up and so does the gas cap, but with the gas cap vent in the off position I have not smelled gas. I have never attempted to run the carb dry. The generators use such a small amount of fuel I would not be surprised if the carb has a very small float bowl, smaller float bowl=less gas able to evaporate in the air.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Mine does not smell but I would not put it an enclosed cab. Maybe you could put it in a cooler that seals well and since gas fumes settle lower than air run a hose out of the cooler drain and thru the floor.

Kiomon

Adventurer
If you really don't want them outside then they will travel inside just fine. You won't smell gas, we have done in before we mounted them outside. You can also run them dry when you are packing them for storage. If you are good about managing your gas, it won't be an issue.

But the option I would push you to consider is Mounting them outside. We found this company that makes these awesome plates and base that locks down the generators in place, and they can be run while mounted. Here is a write up on our blog, down to ward the bottom.

http://nicknameinternational.com/2015/04/13/mogtug-build-part-3-interior-exterior-layout/

And here is the manufacturer site

http://lowprolockdown.com

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Fuel in the carb is really a non issue, so long as you stay away from ethanol fuel and use a stabil.

My EU2000 sits un-used for months at a time with the carb full, and it always starts the 1st or second pull.

Good gas, and a bit of stabil goes a long ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior