where to buy hella 500 yellow fogs?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am looking for a pair of yellow hella 500 fog lights. seem to be a rare thing. any ideas where to get a set?

Desertdave

Amazon.com has them, as would many other internet providers, as I shopped for lights recently and these kept popping up.

4xdog

Explorer
The yellow-glass Hella 500 round lights are long out of production, AFAIK. i gave up a set when i sold my old XJ Cherokee earlier this year, and cringed doing it.

Most folks now will either use yellow film applied to the lens (see the Susquehanna Motorsports site for details) or the Duplicolor Yellow Metalcast paint technique (many, many web references on this one).

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I believe PIAA makes their bulbs in an amber color as well. Either of those in the regular Hella 500 fog housings would be great.

kojackJKU

I shall do that then, I don't like the exterior color aplications. I would try those yellow blubs as I have the nokya low wattage versions in my Jeeps stock Fog lights and they work good.

I have 100w clear blubs in my yellow lensed 450 hellas and they work awesome in rain, snow and fog. So I am guessing the 100w will work great in the 500 Fog as well.

XJLI

Adventurer
kinda late to the party but I have had very good luck using Duplicolor Metalcast Yellow paint on lenses to change the color. This way I'm not sacrificing light output by getting a junk yellow bulb.

Hella MicroDE that I did:
s5cuKTt.png

Before/After of a LED bar:
Xm8herp.png

kojackJKU

actually spraying coatings on lights do decrease output of your lights unfortunately. and Hella makes yellow bulbs for this purpose. I am more willing to use their product than spraying my lights with paint.

AlaricD

Observer
kinda late to the party but I have had very good luck using Duplicolor Metalcast Yellow paint on lenses to change the color. This way I'm not sacrificing light output by getting a junk yellow bulb.

Excellent job on the paint! They both look like cadmium glass!

Good idea to avoid the yellow bulbs. There aren't any selective yellow bulbs worth buying. One might think that if anyone had them, it'd be Hella, but Hella doesn't make their own bulbs. They're made by the lowest bidder in some anonymous factory in China. Quality is already iffy on the clear bulbs Hella has made for them, and there are no suitable yellow coatings for bulbs out there.

kojackJKU

I am not avoiding yellow blubs as they do NOT decrease light output, Spraying and effectively ruining your lights by painting them do decrease light output. I see one of the 10 commandments here. THOU SHAW DECREASE LIGHT OUTPUT WHENEVER POSSIBLE. REGARD FOR YOUR SAFETY IS NOT NEEDED.

AlaricD

Observer
I am not avoiding yellow blubs as they do NOT decrease light output, Spraying and effectively ruining your lights by painting them do decrease light output. I see one of the 10 commandments here. THOU SHAW DECREASE LIGHT OUTPUT WHENEVER POSSIBLE. REGARD FOR YOUR SAFETY IS NOT NEEDED.

Actually, to get the amount of filtration at the bulb to get the fully-saturated selective yellow, you're decreasing light output to the same level that you'd decrease it by filtering at any other stage. That's how filtration works. It doesn't matter if it's at the bulb, a secondary envelope around the bulb, on the reflector, or or on the glass.

The only yellow bulb that approaches good is the Osram All Season Super.

"SHAW"?

Also, the all caps doesn't turn your incorrect statement into a correct statement.

kojackJKU

The hella bulbs work fine and I don't have to give your saviour any money. How are osram bulbs that are yellow any different. Please humor me. I would love to hear you insightful ramblings.

AlaricD

Observer
Who made those bulbs you like so much? How do you know they're better?

Also... what if I told you that you could buy things without giving Daniel Stern your money? I buy things all the time and he hasn't gotten any of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles