Where is the Oil Pressure??

PaydayGabe

I recently completed a complete top end/ timing service on my Monty Sport 3.5L.
In my continuing OCD service I elected to do a compression test to compare before and after numbers. Currently the numbers are hovering around 130psi.
I placed a manual oil pressure gauge on the engine and during the testing process I never got oil pressure... whatsoever.
Yes , there is fresh oil in the crankcase. So, , do I need to prime the oil pump somehow or continue cranking?
The last thing I need at this point are fried engine bearings .
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Have a great Veterans Day. G.

evomaki

Observer
Greetings PaydayGabe, I suspect you have not received a reply because nobody wants to give wrong advice about priming an oil pump. So with the caveat that I am not an expert in this area, and I'm interested myself: If you've not had the bottom end apart (you reference a top end service only, heads off?), I don't see any need for anything special. I generally don't know that a starter motor (what would that be 120rpm?) is enough to build significant oil pressure compared to the engine idling itself at roughly 750rpm. I know some engines need their oil pump primed after rebuild and before start up. Have not heard about that with the 6G74.

PaydayGabe

Thanks for your replies Gentlemen.
I have the manuals on my phone, no indication of a priming procedure??
When I was in the industry, we would load new oil pumps with heavy oil or grease to aid the priming process...

Yes, the heads and full timing/ idlers, tensioner/ water pump, everything. The bottom was left alone. No issues with that thank god, 149+k miles.
My trepidation is the current investment and not wanting to destroy my "almost" new engine. Granted, 120rpm may not be enough to pull the oil, but something should happen.??
As a reference, I have an old Moto Guzzi 850T and it took a few minutes to get oil pressure (about 30psi) from the starter only, but it did oil up...
That's what I based this on?
So, , I'm going to let things be until the initial start up with the manual pressure gauge attached and HOPE for the best.
I'm definitely open to any and all further suggestions anyone??
And I will advise what happens in the future. ???? G.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I think the starter RPM’s should be enough to move oil. The shop instructions on my rebuild involved long cranking periods (I think it was like 1 minute?) with fuel pump off so the engine wouldn’t start, specifically to get oil moving around. I don’t remember the exact amount of no start crank time but I know for sure it was part of the process.

Did you not have your oil pressure sensor hooked up to double check your mechanical gauge?

PaydayGabe

The electric sending unit is removed. The manual unit in its place. I applied air pressure to that gauge to verify operation?. All good.
My main intention is to get oil pressure to inflate the lifters, and naturally pre- lube prior to starting. At any rate, I'm going to move forward with the process and say a prayer for
Oily Pressure.??
Will advise. G.

PaydayGabe

Update:::
Yesterday was a
good day?.
With the assistance of my daughter Gabby and her boyfriend Eddie, we completed the final touches to Monty 3.5L prior to start up..
Final tightening of the crank bolt,, which required unbolting the starter, to jam the flywheel?‍♂️. PITA, but effective.
Installed the new Radiator and associated hoses,,
daughter in the driver's seat, so,, lets do this!
She hit the switch, and a few seconds later,, a sputter. Again, , another longer sputter?.
Third attempt,, ?bam!
It's a Running, ???.
W/ a little lifter noise,,,
it developed oil pressure quickly and leveled off at 70psi. A fuckin men! !?
And settled into a smooth idle. Can you say,
Happy dance ??‍♂️?...
Today I will verify all the fluid levels and go for a full warm up.
Anyone who has done this before knows the trepidation involved with a cold start up, and the pending outcome?
Thankfully it went well.
To all respondents,
Thanks for your time and advice.
PaydayGabe in beautiful Boulder City Nv. ?‍♂️?

evomaki

Observer
Nice, had something similar with one of my Monteros. Replaced the lash adjusters and holy cow did it clatter like mad at start up, and then settled down. And I had primed the the things. I went from Oh F to alright. Needless to say it was Miller Time after that.

PaydayGabe

Definitely ??. Cheers.

During disassembly at least half of the lifters fell apart. So I had to bite the bullet and spring for a new set.
A tad pricey. But piece of mind sometimes costs $$$.
I didn't prime them,, after about 10 minutes they all settled down and hummmm.??
Got those from Rock Auto.
Dealer wants $30+ per liter.
?‍♂️ ******** that! I mean really?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior