Where is everyone getting their cans

rayra

Expedition Leader
You can't get them legally from Canada, or from Canadians on this board. But good luck to you, ought to be around $50USD each, sans shipping.

If you aren't locked into the MFC by dimensions, for existing carriers or future carrier plans, Scepter does make a 'civilian' variant that's about 2/3 as thick. It's a bit trapezoidal / fatter-bottomed. A good robust design, but a small CARB-afflicted cap / spout. Of no importance if you use something like a SuperSiphon. And those 'civilian' jugs are increasingly available in US stores for about $20-25USD.

Matt.H

Adventurer
You can't get them legally from Canada, or from Canadians on this board. But good luck to you, ought to be around $50USD each, sans shipping.

If you aren't locked into the MFC by dimensions, for existing carriers or future carrier plans, Scepter does make a 'civilian' variant that's about 2/3 as thick. It's a bit trapezoidal / fatter-bottomed. A good robust design, but a small CARB-afflicted cap / spout. Of no importance if you use something like a SuperSiphon. And those 'civilian' jugs are increasingly available in US stores for about $20-25USD.

Really? What if they, let's say, go through customs, are declared and inspected?

For anyone that uses cans with CARB spouts and hate them, here is a solution for getting rid of them.
I think these even fit the Scepter Civilian version can as mentioned above.
http://ezpourspout.com/
I have a deep hatred for these spouts and want to shove one up each Carb Board members backside. Being a disabled person they are impossible to use without making a bigger mess than a normal spout if I can even get them to function. My thought is that these are a violation of the ADA and should be banned because of that. Normally I don't wave that flag but this is a Nanny State law that is being forced on all of us.
For all my small cans I have gone to using these around the home. I found them at my local Northern Tool.
http://www.nospill.com/
Ok Rant over back to original topic.

Why no love for the NATO cans. I know they are metal and people worry about rust. There are lots of Chinese clones out there that are pure junk with bad seams and spouts that do not interchange with true NATO cans. They are cheaper than a Scepter MF and easier to get. True NATO cans have a special coating inside to prevent rust. Yes they have even been forced to make a carb version but those are chinese and not the same quality as the NATO cans. NATO cans are still being openly sold. Other than fuel can mounts that you may already have I seen no reason not to use these cans.
Purchase from these sources and you will find great quality.
http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?Category=ACC.+-++OFF-ROAD&Subcategory=Jerry+Cans
https://deutscheoptik.com/cart.php?m=search_results&headerSearch=Y&search=jerry+can

If you want a Chinese clone Carb Nato style can there are these but I do not recommend them. Easy to identify Carb style because of the ring around the spout. No you cant put the NATO spout on these cans.
http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can/

I like this mount because it allows me to secure my fuel from theft.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/GJC003

Really? What if they, let's say, go through customs, are declared and inspected?

That is where the roadblock is. Customs will not allow them to be transported into the country. It falls into the same category as prohibited items like food stuffs and animals.

Matt.H

Adventurer
That is where the roadblock is. Customs will not allow them to be transported into the country. It falls into the same category as prohibited items like food stuffs and animals.

Hiilbilly, we don't know each other so do not take this personally. Do you have a cite for a civilian to do this?

No particular citations to link. If a can is labeled for Gasoline or Fuel usage and it does not meet CARB standards or have an exemption then it is listed on Customs do not allow list. Just like when re-entering the U.S. from a foreign country there is a good possibility that customs will want to search your possessions for banned items. So you drive a vehicle with U.S. plates to Canada, go to Princess Auto and pick up a few Scepter cans, not a whole vehicle few that would be too obvious. Upon crossing the border the custom agent at his discretion may want to search your vehicle. If he is sharp he may notice you have some fuel cans laying in your vehicle, you are going to get a ton of questions of where you got them and if you had them before entering Canada why you did not declare as personal property before leaving the country. Customs at that point, since you can not prove you had them before you entered Canada, will confiscate fuel cans and may even levy a fine on you. Someone from Canada with fuel cans just laying in the vehicle will face the same problem once they cross the border except they maybe deported and property confiscated. Once they are deported maybe placed on the DO NOT ENTER list. Transporting items across the border is not as easy as it use to be.

What if they are mounted like intended for storage? This may not even raise an eyebrow except inspection to make sure they do not contain drugs or other contraband.

Some of the NATO Chinese cans have been labeled NOT FOR FUEL USE permanently stamped in them. I have never heard of anyone being stopped on the highway because they use these cans for fuel storage. I have never heard of CARB police but DOT would be the one that would handle the situation. Shouldn't be a problem with a private vehicle but will get noticed on a commercial vehicle.

I will add that the NATO cans that come from Wavian or Valpro will have a fully welded not a leaky rolled seam. Wavian cans will have a W stamped in the side of the can and if it is sold without a spout will be stamped "Not For Fuel Use". Also since CARB regs have went into effect the metal cans now have a date of manufacture stamped in them. In do a little bit of research Wavian sells their fuel use cans with a CARB spout but do offer a non CARB spout that works with the cans. This is news to me as last time I checked the old spouts would not fit.

I did find two more websites and one appears direct from Wavian. Valpro makes Wavian. Wavian is the international distributor.
This will explain it better and also shows NATO specs and features.
https://www.jerrycan.com/wavian-brand/

https://wavianusa.com/
https://www.jerrycan.com/

Robert Bills

Explorer
No particular citations to link. If a can is labeled for Gasoline or Fuel usage and it does not meet CARB standards or have an exemption then it is listed on Customs do not allow list. . . .

Hillbilly Heaven said:
Customs will not allow them to be transported into the country. It falls into the same category as prohibited items like food stuffs and animals.

^These statements are INCORRECT.

40 CFR sec. 59.600-699, the Federal regulations regarding jerry cans and portable fuel containers, are limited by their own terms to "manufacturers and importers" of these cans. There is nothing illegal about the possession or the use of non compliant cans by private citizens and end users. Non compliant fuel containers are not subject to confiscation at the border by U.S. Customs unless the customs official determines that they are being imported for commercial purposes.

Similarly, California CARB regulations (adopted by many but not all states) regulates "sellers and suppliers," not end users. There is nothing illegal about a private individual possessing or using military MFC's or NATO style jerry cans. [See, California Code of Regulations, Title 13,Division 3, Chapter 9, Article 6, Section 2467 et. seq.]

Thanks Robert and EatSleep for correcting me. Why then is DS Tactical not shipping them to the U.S. when being shipped in low quantities and to an individual? I was left with the impression that the shipments were being rejected by customs.

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . Why then is DS Tactical not shipping them to the U.S. when being shipped in low quantities and to an individual. . . ?

This was covered in my previous post. U.S. Federal law restricts "manufacturers and importers" from shipping non-compliant portable fuel containers into the U.S.

DS Tactical is classified as an importer under Federal law if it ships its MFC's to recipients in the U.S. regardless of quantity and regardless of whether the recipient is a business entity or an individual. However, DS Tactical is not an importer subject to U.S. law if it sells a MFC to a consumer who has it shipped to a Canadian address or picks it up at the DS Tactical store in Vancouver.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As of 07/17/17: If your ever in Moab, UT go to Gearhead camping store. It's on the main drag next to the grocery store. Not sure how long it's been there, but it's been there for the last 8 years. Anyway, they carry in the store, Scepter plastic water and fuel cans (10L and 20L) with all the accessories and Wavian metal red gas, yellow diesel, blue water cans in (2.5,5,10 and 20L) with all the accessories. Not to mention they have all the ultra cool camping gear and a full Partner Stove display with about 6 different Partner grills and all the cool accessories......ddddrrrruuuullllll. Good Luck

Robert Bills

Explorer
I know exactly where that store is, adjacent to Central Market. Unfortunately when I was in Moab in May I wasn't in the market for fuel and water cans and didn't think to stop in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles