Where is everyone getting their cans

Back from the dead: Anyone in Canada know if Home Depot still has the MFC's in store? Couldn't find them online.

No they don't. Only place now that sells them is princess auto or used ones from us at East Coast Overland. But can't ship to the US since they are used. But we have 17 in store right now.

rayra

Expedition Leader
scepter's more oddly shaped 'civilian' 20L jugs are now available in the USA, auto parts stores, 'tractor supply' and other farm equipment stores, sometimes COSTCO if your particular store bothers. They're pretty inexpensive, typically $20-25USD. They're about 2/3 as thick, by weight, than a scepter milspec MFC/MWC and come in several useful colors. Their bases are wider, they don't generally fit in milspec-sized carriers.
I've got the info in another topic around here adn HAD a lot of useful pictures in it, before Photobucket broke the internet.

scepter's more oddly shaped 'civilian' 20L jugs are now available in the USA, auto parts stores, 'tractor supply' and other farm equipment stores, sometimes COSTCO if your particular store bothers. They're pretty inexpensive, typically $20-25USD. They're about 2/3 as thick, by weight, than a scepter milspec MFC/MWC and come in several useful colors. Their bases are wider, they don't generally fit in milspec-sized carriers.
I've got the info in another topic around here adn HAD a lot of useful pictures in it, before Photobucket broke the internet.

Yeah I have some of those as well but they are useless if you would like to use standard Jerry can holders of any sort. They will only hold the MFC and metal military cans. For anyone traveling to NB from the US, drop me a line and I'll hook you up with a can.

Matt.H

Adventurer
DS Tactical (https://www.dstactical.com/fuel-water-canisters/) is a 5-min drive from me. They can and do ship Scepter cans to the US. I had asked the owner about this when I was getting my own. Great store!

They have always shipped the WATER canisters but not the fuel. Maybe something has changed?:confused:

This is from your ink on the FUEL products:
Scepter Military Fuel Canister 20L Gasoline Black C$69.99 Excl. tax
Per export regulations, I understand that DS Tactical cannot ship this item outside of Canada: *
I accept that I am shipping this item to a Canadian address

harbinger808

Adventurer
2x what Matt H. found. DS Tactical site says it does not allow shipping of the MFC to US. Just called them and they said no can do :(

krick3tt

Adventurer
I used to use Septer cans for water but full they are too heavy for me now. I use Water Brick from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/WaterBrick-1...39665&sr=8-1&keywords=water+bricks+3.5+gallon

They stack well and although they only hold 3.5 gal. it is easier to carry and are much less expensive than the Septer cans. Still more capacity than the RotoPak containers.

I use the original Nato metal cans for fuel. Have acquired 8 of them over time (military surplus) and always have a few to use for a long distance excursion.

Strange about DS Tactical because I too emailed them months ago about shipping to US. Wished I had jumped on it then when I had the chance. There was a thread here back during the winter where someone had them shipped to the US.

harbinger808

Adventurer
If a friend of mine in Canada were to buy some MFCs, would he be able to ship them to the US?...
Just wondering if it's illegal or something?

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Just ordered three MWCs in Desert Tan from LCI at 24.79 ea, which includes shipping. Received a confirmation within minutes with an order number and purchase total. Though no shipping date on the confirmation, and though the shopping cart page said "Arrive 07/15" (tomorrow), my account 'Orders' page on their site seems to indicate they may be on back order. So we'll see, I guess.

I ordered these at this great price after buying an identical one at a local Army surplus store for 34.99. I liked the heft of it, and started looking for more to put in my trailer for extended desert runs though the southwest. I can't vouch for an LCI MWC being as thick as a Scepter MWC, 'cause I don't have one here to compare, but the one I have is rugged. Can get them in Desert Tan for 24.79 ea or OD Green for 23.99 ea (http://buylci.com/CatalogProductDis...n&Keyword=water can&sc=BM&fi=1&fr=1&ps=0&av=0). No o-rings, but a quick search here on EP shows where to get some.

LCI, in Hazlehurst MS, employs the blind in six manufacturing facilities and has stores on 35 military bases across the U.S. says their website. They have manufactured various items for the military since 1941 and comply with ISO 9001:2015 standards.

Here's a thread from 2010 on MWCs: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/48159-LC-Industries-Water-Can-Pics and in post #30, kd4vbp has some info on o-ring sizes and where to get them:

Ok, guys. Here is the dirt on the o-rings for the LC Industries Water Can. You need all three.
You can get them from http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=367_144
Make sure you get Buna-N FDA O-Rings which is what you need for potable water.
Here are the 3 sizes, you need one of each for one can....

9/16"ID X 11/16"OD X 1/16"CS (For Vent Cap)
014 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70014) $0.04 each

7/8"ID X 1 1/16"OD X 3/32"CS (For Pouring Cap)
118 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70118) $0.12 each

3 1/2"ID X 3 11/16"OD X 3/32"CS (For Large Filling Cap)
153 B70 FDA Black Buna-N 70 O-ring (FDAB70153) $0.54 each

I just ordered 13 complete sets for $14.10 with shipping.

No sense getting ripped off.

Look a little further in that thread and you'll see various 'solutions' to potential leaks. Other threads on these cans, too, on the diffs between MFC and MWC (one cool diff being that the fuel cans have the three handle top and the water cans have the one handle top so you can tell the difference simply by grabbing one or the other in the dark or under a trailer canvas, etc.

I'll chime in again if I see any problems with the order from LCI.

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
You ordered MWC -W for water cans not MFC -F for Fuel. IF that was your intention, carry on. There is no issue with the water cans, only the fuel cans. Not being CARB compliant

Was replying to the OP's original request for info on both, and offered info on both.

Carry on.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I know that I'm searching for the unobtainable, but does anyone have any information for a current source for MFC's in Northern California, Southern Oregon or the Northwest part of Nevada (Reno/Sparks)??? A source somewhere else who will ship to Northern California?

One can dream. ;)

[I need a MWC as well, but those are easy to find.]

One shot

Observer
I know that I'm searching for the unobtainable, but does anyone have any information for a current source for MFC's in Northern California, Southern Oregon or the Northwest part of Nevada (Reno/Sparks)??? A source somewhere else who will ship to Northern California?

One can dream. ;)

[I need a MWC as well, but those are easy to find.]

Apparently Princess Auto (Canada) will ship to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Robert Bills

Explorer
The 20L MFC's are currently out of stock so I cannot determine whether or not Princess Auto will ship to California. Does anyone know for sure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior