Where does everyone hide a second key?

robert

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty surprised anyone would post where they keep their spare key, since with a little searching anyone on the net with criminal intent could find what city you are in and probably what your vehicle looks like. I'd caution anyone on what they put on the net. There's a lot of lurkers out there.

As it is, it's already pretty risky to post everything we keep in our vehicles on a regular basis.

Yeah I thought about that seriously before posting but since I don't keep a spare key and key fob/alarm thingy hidden on my current truck I'm not too worried about it; I used this method on my older vehicles without the fancy electronic alarms and ID chip things. When I'm traveling I'll either give the spare to someone with me or keep it in my pack. I keep the spare for my VW hidden somewhere else since the wiring isn't readily available. ;)

I do like the Masterlock idea though.

The whole point is you should be creative- climb around your truck and figure out what works for you on your particular vehicle. Sticking a magnetic box under the front fenderwell or behind the bumper isn't exactly creative.

A few weeks ago, I saw a car parked across the street in front of my neighbors house. I thought, hmm... must have company... 9 days later I see my neighbor getting off work, and he asks me if I know who's car it was. I say no, he calls the police.

tuns out the car was stolen from someones driveway cause the thieves found the hide-a-key..

unfortunately enough for the owner, i guess the insurance company waits 11 days to give you the money for a stolen car, they had already bought a new car cause they were tired of paying for a rental (not covered)

but they got their car back...

Patman

Explorer
I do like the Masterlock idea though.

There is also a hard mount version which I've mounted to the backside of a tire carrier, sucked up inside the tire, and not visible when up against the back of the rig.

I agree completely about not posting where you hide your unsecured key.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
These are probably available for less somewhere but I've thought they might be useful for this or securing other small valuables.
key-vault650i.jpg

http://www.cargocatch.com/hitchsafe-combo-lock.html

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
I used to keep one in the bottom of my drivers side front turn signal. If you had a swiss army knife you could just pullt the screws and get it. you couldn't see it with the amber lense in place, and if it cam down to it you could kick in the lense if you didn't have time or a means of getting it otherwise.

I used one of those magnet key holders on my 86 4Runner for 10 years. Wheeled hard and it never came out. I kept it tucked in the transfer case skid plate.

Sangster

Adventurer
spare key is in the junk drawer in the kitchen. Key pad on the side of the truck lets me in if I lock the keys in the truck, which i do if I'm going to the gym/fishing/swiming/etc and can't carry my keys on me.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This may not work for your vehicle:

I have a 2005 Toyota with a "chip" key. I had the hardware store cut a non-chip plain metal key which will open the truck doors but you cannot start the engine. No worries about water and such when hiding the metal key. Somewhere inside the vehicle a real chip key can be hidden and somewhere outside the metal key can be hidden

Flip_4_It

Jeff Brown
Thanks for all the great ideas! I'll let you know where I decide to hide along with my street address as soon as I get it mounted. lol

rynosurf

Adventurer
This works very well when securely attached to frame/rear bumper.

http://www.amazon.com/AccessPoint-O...R1BA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320838783&sr=8-4

That's what I use. I get into it a lot when I go surfing so I just attached it to my rear bumper for easy access.
41ZaXdFCVVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The hitch safe is cool but pretty expensive and I still want a spare when I'm towing. They also didn't have one that fit new Tacoma's last time I checked, something about the receiver being too thick or something.

Redman333

Adventurer
These are probably available for less somewhere but I've thought they might be useful for this or securing other small valuables.
key-vault650i.jpg

http://www.cargocatch.com/hitchsafe-combo-lock.html

I have one of these. I use it on my jeep when I go to the beach with top and doors off. I don't keep it on all the time cause I am afraid of it rusting shut or something. I probably wouldn't have gotten one but when I was working at Nissan as a technician a used car we had came in with it so I hung onto it. I had to cut the side pins off to get it off but ordered new ones from there website for $10 and the original owner wrote the combination on the back of the box. I like it though. I keep my cash, phone, and keys in it. My whole wallet is to big to fit though.

Surfy

Adventurer
My LC 200 has a chip, and the doors get unlock when i`m near - automatically.

I read from problems, when i would have both keys in the car, and i`m searching a solution who hides the Chipkey from the car :coffee: Does someone here has experience with this?

Bergum

Adventurer
My LC 200 has a chip, and the doors get unlock when i`m near - automatically.

I read from problems, when i would have both keys in the car, and i`m searching a solution who hides the Chipkey from the car :coffee: Does someone here has experience with this?

Wrap it in silver foil....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier