where do I begin ?

noDaveu

Hi there !

My name is Dave, I live in the mid-west (ugh!) and have been completely inspired to build my own adventure truck by TacoDoc's 05 Tacoma build and Mark's (articulate) 05 Frontier setup.

I have a few decisions to make and would like whatever advice is offered. I plan on using this truck for everyday go to work, and weekend camper, light trails ( I don't plan on any serious 4x4 stuff).

I plan on getting 2011 Frontier SV V6 Crew Cab, but I am undecided on long bed. Problem in the mid-west - it seems as if not very many dealers here carry the crew cab with long bed and I would think having them order it from the factory would reduce my negotiating leverage on price.

Questions -

1. About the long bed, I think it adds 11 inches to the truck; Is there any reason I would not want a longer wheelbase besides easier to get the frame stuck should I find myself on a sharp hill ?

2. If I eventually get the money and time to go west and purchase an AT flippac, do they make them short enough to fit on a short bed Frontier ? I noticed TacoDoc's Tacoma looks like a short bed, but I am unsure if it is the same length as on a Frontier. I don't really care for those flip-tents as an alternative, but I would consider those small profile pop-up tents that look like rooftop cargo carriers.

3. How hard is it to find aftermarket parts - suspension and bumpers and stuff for Frontier ? I know the Tacoma's seem far more popular, but I like the look and price of the Frontier better ! I also would not be installing these myself as I am not very handy with performing my own maintenance.

4. Is there any reason to get the Pro 4x model instead ? It looks to me like the only difference is better shocks, bigger tires and a locking differential and skid plates. The ground clearance is the same, and I would not be able to get the long bed version. And from my reading these forums I would probably change them all out for aftermarket stuff anyway.

Thanks for any input / advice / whatever !

Dave

cmgraves

Observer
Welcome to expo Dave!

One thing I would consider is buying online with ebay. Way better chance of getting the exact car you perfer and most likely get a great price with it. But most important, it creates an excuses to fly across the country and drive it home for a road trip.

I would suggest the long bed, since you mention that you won't be doing much heavy off-roading with it. With a longer bed, you have more capacity and flexibility of using it as a truck, (ie hauling rocks, atvs, friends crap, etc.). Lastly, if you go with the flip pac, there will be times where you might have to sleep with the tent down, (stealth camping at wal-mart, extreme weather), and will be more comfy in a long bed.

I would suggest the flip pac compared to the autohome Magnolia just for the simple fact that you can used it as a canopy as a DD. Two birds with 1 stone. and also, less wind resistances. On a side note, i feel strongly that hte magnolia is a great product, and lots of people give high phrase to autohome. You would be in good hands eitherway.

Best of luck!

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Welcome Dave! Hopefully we can answer some questions for you...

1. Aside from the increased chance of high centering on difficult 4x4 trails the long bed is still very much trail worthy. The only other downside is the turning radius will be a bit wider. I've helped my friend navigate his stock long bed through some pretty difficult terrain and was still very surprised at the ground clearance.

2. AT does make a Flippac for the short bed frontier

3. Aftermarket suspension is easy to come by for the frontier. PRG offers some great options and there is now a full line of OME components as well. If you want to try and install things yourself it can all be done with basic hand tools.

4. The Pro-4x model is definitely a good option with the factory locker and such. The stock skid plates aren't that stout but do the job. I've dragged mine across more than a few rocks and they've held up. The new color matching bumpers on the pro-4x look very nice as well.

I can honestly say I wish I had a long bed sometimes for hauling stuff and sleeping in the bed. However the short bed is a joy to park and and it still gets the job done.

Let us know if you have any other questions :)

noDaveu

Thanks for the info guys, and fishy that's a nice truck. Is the NISMO built in the US ? I did not see any reference to it on the "build your own Nissan" Or is it the Pro 4x and they just changed the name for 2011 ?

Mr. D

Adventurer
Dave good luck on your search, test drive both a long bed and short bed if you have a chance.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Thanks for the info guys, and fishy that's a nice truck. Is the NISMO built in the US ? I did not see any reference to it on the "build your own Nissan" Or is it the Pro 4x and they just changed the name for 2011 ?

Thanks! The nismo and pro-4x are basically the same. They changed the name to pro-4x this year.

Peck

Observer
You can get an ARB to fit in the M226 (D44 variant) and I believe a locker is in the works for the C200.

You're going to upgrade the suspension anyway right? No need for Bilsteins from the factory.

The stock skid plates are better than nothing, if only just slightly.

The only thing I don't have that the NISMO/Pro-4X has is the stock locker, wheels, and some other eletrical do-dads. Eventually I'll have a locker and that'll will just nullify the rest.

noDaveu

Awesome, thanks again for the info. I did check ebay motors, and I was actually surprised and disappointed by the lack of selectable options to narrow down the choices. Cars.com seems to have a much more robust search and I have found a few dealers selling for quite a few thousand less than they advertise here in Missouri. It might turn into a road trip after all.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
A stock Nismo is more then capable for overland travel. If you get the Nismo you can put the time and money in to the flip pac instead of shocks and springs ect. witch you can replace down the road when the OEMs were out. Just my two cents. More money spent on trips less on stuff.

SD_Nissmo

Observer
I have a 2005 nismo 2wd crew cab short bed with a flip pac if you have any questions. Great truck, just keep in mind rear suspension is not able to handle much of a load. Flip pac with any type of overland load will require rear suspension upgrades to maintain ride height/ clearance.

Many Nissan parts available these days. No complaints on truck. In fact I only wish I had purchased a 4wd! Locker gets me almost everywhere! Let me know if you have any questions about the set up.

noDaveu

thanks guys, more good info.

SD_Nissmo do you feel like the bed has enough room to put all your stuff in ? If I get the Pro4x I cannot get the long bed, but I'm not completely sold on needing a locking differential.

Edit - and if I will need to upgrade the suspension anyway I might as well skip the Pro4x, get the SV and if later on I feel the need for a locking diff have one put in.

Also, if you don't mind, does the flip pac have to be fitted or are they pretty much already cut and just need to be bolted in ? Speaking of bolting it in, is yours attached by bolts or did they use the rail system ?

Last edited:

mcm4090

Explorer
You get a lot more with the PRO besides the suspension and the locker. To bed they don't make a long bed PRO.

SD_Nissmo

Observer
I have more than enough room for my gear in the short bed crew cab. Using stacking plastic boxes I have more than enough room for two coolers, three or more water jugs, camp gear, and food for two people and two dogs! I tie the boxes down with tie downs run from the utili track. I dont always carry extra fuel and I am still working on bumper/ hitch mount etc.

The flip-pac is made to order for your truck. The company mounts it unless you are having it shipped. They cut the aluminum shell door to fit and seal the shell to bed with gasket material. I have three bolts per side drilled through be rails with washers/ lock nuts. All of the utili track is still available for use. I use for tie downs and have large "quick fist" mounts holding my shovel/ axe.

With any frontier/ flip=pac combo you will have to do the rear suspension. I had a custom spring pack that accommodates full load (camp gear, coolers, water) and clears my 285 tires with about a 3" lift on top of that. The springs were about 600 (or less I think). With out suspension the truck was almost sitting on the bump stops. The stock suspension is made for very light loads/ articulation. Overland gear is pretty heavy.

My two cents is go for the pro if you can swing it, or do a locker in the 4x you can afford. A locker makes all the difference in the world. I regularly drive on loose sand, gravel grades, and off camber rocks that many stock "4x4's" cant get through. Even a 4x4 is only driven by one tire front and back. Wait to see the review on the no slip locker. Pretty cheap compared to pro 4x package. Wish I had taken my own advice! Mine is a 2wd with a locker!

hope I answered your q's

65coupe

Dave,
I have a 08 Nissan 4x4 crew cab long bed. I was a little concerned about the turning radius until I had it in the woods the first couple of times. I really didn't notice the extra length, except for an extra backup when turning around. I've been in places in buggy's and jeeps that I wouldn't try in my truck, but that's just a matter of knowing your limitations.
Like you, I don't plan on doing any hard core offroading. So, for me, I feel the extra load capacity is a worthy trade off. I haven't had any regrets so far.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior