Where did you mount your HAM radio in your first gen Taco?

I am pulling the trigger on a Yaesu FTM-100DR this weekend and wanted to see pictures of you HAM install in a first gen Taco.

Please be as detailed as possible on your installation, including antenna type/mount, location of radio an head until. I will be installing this a couple weeks for a two week trip.

Please NO CB RADIO installations.

Thanks Mike

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Not a Taco, but here's where I mounted an FT-2900 in my 98 (and later 2002) 4Runner.

DSC_4701_zpslyiwix9d.jpg

DSC_7714_zpsf4pflrle.jpg

I used the factory radio mount (after removing the CD changer and going with a single DIN radio) and drilled holes in it to match the holes in the radio. I used an external speaker from Radio Shack since the radio's internal speaker is not exposed (and pretty muffled). Finding a place to mount an external speaker was the biggest challenge - I tried smaller speakers but they didn't sound good. Finally mounted this to the console with double-stick tape. Antenna is 5/8 wave mounted on a bracket on the tire carrier (not ideal, but around here a fixed antenna, even 1/4 wave, on the roof would get eaten by low-hanging trees very quickly).

Last edited:

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I bent a little piece of aluminum and used 3m double sided auto tape, just above the shifter on that flat spot. then mounted the radio under the drivers seat.

*shocked to not find picture in my build...searching for one to add now**

Last edited:

toy_tek

Adventurer
Not sure if yours has the removable control face or not. 3rd gen 4Runner, but perhaps close enough.

Control head & remote speaker: (not sure why Dropbox rotated this?)

IMG_2742.JPG

Detail of control head mount: Aluminum mounting plate holds the control head receptacle. There are two flush head screws holding the plate to the shifter trim underneath. Its been almost 6 years since I installed it, still the best place I can think of to mount it.

IMG_2743.JPG

Radio body mounted under drivers seat.

IMG_2744.JPG

skeezix

Some years ago I mounted a Kenwood TM 641 into my 1998 Tacoma. That radio had a removeable front panel. I wanted to do it with as few holes as possible. I wound up drilling only one hole and that was for the power and ground leads to the battery. I realize this is a bit late for you, but it may help others who have the same idea. For me, it was an ideal setup. For you????

Front Panel Mounting

I used a utility box to replace the one below the radio. Then I obtained some plastic (1/8" thick, I believe) and cut it to size to cover the utility box's opening. I mounted the cover to the utility box using a 1/2-inch wide "L" bracket on each side. Next, I mounted a swivel mounting bracket (came with a kit I bought for remote mounting) to the center of the cover and to the back of the front panel. I ran my wiring up to and through a hole I drilled in the back of the utility box.

Radio Box Mounting

To mount the box I simply used 1/2 of a velcro patch stuck to the back of the console and the other 1/2 to the bottom of the radio.

Antenna Mounting

I mounted the 144 MHz antenna to the rear driver's window using a "through-the-glass" mount. The whip was long enough that I could pull it down when driving in and out of the garage. I then mounted the 220 MHz antenna to the same location on the passenger rear window. Next, I routed the antenna cables behind the rear panel to the floor, underneath the carpet and to the radio. I was able to obtain a good SWR without fussing around with them. When I go through low-hanging brush and trees, I remove the 220 stick, and reinstall it when I come out of the brush.

Microphone Mounting

That left only the microphone. The mounting was simple - I removed the little clip from the back of the mic and used velcro to attach it to the center console. The radio body was out of the way, I could still stick stuff underneath both seats, and the radio display was visible without taking my eyes completely off the road.

Since Then

That was all back in 1999. In 2007 I removed everything (still have it all - can't get rid of it). If you know anybody........

MandAtaco

Observer
I mounted my Yaesu 2900 underneath my single din JVC stereo. I used 3M double stick tape to stick it to the bottom, and a large zip tie for some extra hold. It sounds a little hoky but has held up for many years. The mic just hangs in an old cell phone belt clip holder, again held on with some 3M double stick tape. I really like that magnet trick though, so I may steal that one!

I took apart an external speaker and mounted it in the little dead spot beside the accessory 12v outlets. It was a cheap roadpro speaker, but it sounds good enough for what I'm doing. The factory speaker is buried in the radio, so you would never hear it inside the dash.

The antenna mount is just a tab I put on my roof rack, with an antenna I had laying around the garage.

Thanks for the input!

I finished my install this weekend and ended up with a dash mount. Swapped out the double DIN radio for a single DIN radio, fabricated an aluminum bracket that fit under the new DIN radio and bolted the Yeasu mounting bracket to that. Fabricated a trim/filler panel out of smoked Lexan to take up the space around the HAM. Mounted a remote speaker to the floor just after the shifters. I didn't take any photos with my good camera. I will take a few and get them posted up in a few days.

I haven't decided on a antenna yet so temporarily using my mag mount on the roof. Thinking of doing a front bumper mount? Antenna brand suggestions?

Mike

NoOneBetter

Observer
Any issues with the magnet on the back of the mic? I was debating doing a similar thing but was worried about intereference or damaging the mic with a magnet on the back.

esh

Explorer
I've used a small disk shaped rare-earth magnet stuck onto the mic (metal mount on back that the magnet sticks to) for years and haven't had any issues. The biggest issue is probably taking care not to crush the magnet. They are pretty soft.

BTW, Kenwood makes a radio with a forward facing speaker that is decent enough. Good entry radio- TM-281A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online