Where did you mount your fire extinguisher?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Along the same lines as the flashlight thread, where is everyone mounting their fire extinguishers? If you have it mounted with a quick fist, even better. I have a quick fist for mine, I'm just trying to find a good location. Pictures from a first gen tacoma would be ideal, but any ideas/suggestions with pictures would be great.

:victory:

Wavephf

Observer
On the wall in the garage 30 miles away.

This was my brothers 4runner a few years ago. A fuel smell turned into big fire.:REOutCampFire03: I showed up with fire extinguishers just in time to put the grass fire out but there was no hope for the 4Runner.
That reminds me I need to buy a fire extinguisher.:)
Chases 4runner burning down.jpg

Lucky j

Explorer
I try to keep mine (in a vehicule) as close to the driver door as possible, if not possible, as close to any other door (like the rear one with the road flares) as possible without having to dig for it Under luggage or other things.

Eric3187

Adventurer
in my '11 double cab tacoma i put one behind the drivers side rear seat, it fit perfectly in that plastic cubby bin.
On my current '03 4runner, i will likely be placing it on top of the rear storage areas plastic interior pannels

robert

Expedition Leader
In the Tacoma it's in the driver's side rear storage compartment under the thing Toyota calls a rear seat in the Access Cab. In my '95 Tacoma it was mounted to the front of the storage compartment with a metal strap style bracket. A metal fire extinguisher is one of the last things you want bouncing around the cab in an accident. There's a small model mounted to the platform in the back also.

In the VW there's one under the driver's seat and another mounted to the front of the Z-bed near the sliding door.

If you want ot get fancy you can buy vehicle mounted extinguisher systems from places like Jegs, Summit, etc and they aren't that hard to install. I know a couple of off-roaders and several VW owners with them.

Remember your scene safety- you (you're no help to anyone if you're hurt), then your passengers and lastly the vehicle. If you've never attempted to put out a vehicle fire you'll be surprised how quickly it spreads and how fast you expend your small extinguisher- and all extinguishers are small when when you actually have a fire. I would highly advise getting a copy of some firefighting literature on how to attack a vehicle fire or at least talking to a qualified instructor. If you can't put the fire out very quickly then you need to get away from the vehicle. I've never seen one actually explode like on TV or the movies but I have seen things like a rolling fireball that came out from under the vehicle that would have engulfed anyone's legs that was nearby (same way idiots get burned starting fire in trash cans using gasoline- the heavier than air fumes settle then ignite).

Good thinking ahead though!

<--- I've had firefighting classes, but I'm not a certified firefighter.

austintaco

Explorer
In the Tacoma it's in the driver's side rear storage compartment under the thing Toyota calls a rear seat in the Access Cab. In my '95 Tacoma it was mounted to the front of the storage compartment with a metal strap style bracket. A metal fire extinguisher is one of the last things you want bouncing around the cab in an accident. There's a small model mounted to the platform in the back also.

In the VW there's one under the driver's seat and another mounted to the front of the Z-bed near the sliding door.

If you want ot get fancy you can buy vehicle mounted extinguisher systems from places like Jegs, Summit, etc and they aren't that hard to install. I know a couple of off-roaders and several VW owners with them.

Remember your scene safety- you (you're no help to anyone if you're hurt), then your passengers and lastly the vehicle. If you've never attempted to put out a vehicle fire you'll be surprised how quickly it spreads and how fast you expend your small extinguisher- and all extinguishers are small when when you actually have a fire. I would highly advise getting a copy of some firefighting literature on how to attack a vehicle fire or at least talking to a qualified instructor. If you can't put the fire out very quickly then you need to get away from the vehicle. I've never seen one actually explode like on TV or the movies but I have seen things like a rolling fireball that came out from under the vehicle that would have engulfed anyone's legs that was nearby (same way idiots get burned starting fire in trash cans using gasoline- the heavier than air fumes settle then ignite).

Good thinking ahead though!

<--- I've had firefighting classes, but I'm not a certified firefighter.
You definitely have the firefighting lingo down, and as a firefighter, you hit on very valid points. When we talk to the general public about extinguishers, this phrase always sticks in my head. "with an extinguisher, if the fire is bigger than you, you can't put it out". It's a great visual to keep in mind.

If you are on a roadside fire, and using the extinguisher, it creates an immediate cloud of smoke that other vehicles can't see through. Stay off the road, if possible or have someone else stop traffic while you try to extinguish the flames.

All that being said, I don't have one in my truck ;(, but I plan to pick one up today. Good thread

robert

Expedition Leader
Well I've been around hydrant monkeys and hose draggers for twenty years now (I'm a paramedic but I've taken various fire fighting classes over the years including shipboard fire fighting, just never bothered to get certified). :ylsmoke: I've been doing remote work for ten of those years including working on oil rigs but I still work on the bus part time when I'm back in the States. :snorkel:

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Here's where mine is mounted in/on my '01 DC Taco. Driver's side rear, by the seat. Same thing on the passenger side rear.

sargeek

Adventurer
06 Double Cab - 2.5# mounted in the storage compartment behind the back seat on the drivers side. I have seen some horrible damage done by a unrestrained fire extinguisher in a high speed (50mph) roll over, so I don't mind it behind the seat.

My suggest is that you buy an all metal fire extinguisher that can be serviced and recharged, and a vehicle mount. The cheap plastic hangers and straps are not intended for use in a vehicle. The are intended for mounting in your kitchen. I find that I have a lot less problems with the all metal extinguishers.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
So reading the discussion on fire extinguishers - I feel like I have a good mount (quickfist on the floor next to the shifter), but I saw that it is reading empty today :(

So... what's the best type of fire extinguisher to buy for an expedition vehicle cab?

uscg2008

Explorer
In my shell
IMAG0524.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg

Roadwarrior

Observer
I have mine mounted to my A Pillar in my 1.5 gen Xterra, I can post pictures in a bit, but it is also shown in my build thread

Sent from space and stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier