Where did you mount your CB?

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Have you already purchased the CB, if so, which one? Dimensions will dictate where you can mount it. If not, look into getting the Cobra 75 WX ST. I mounted the small control box tp the right of the accelerator. All you see really is the mic.:
CBSetup2.jpg

CBSetup1.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Mine fit pefectly in the ashtray slot.

Since I don't smoke, didn't need the ashtray, did loose my secret coin department though.

Notice the super custom Southern Arizona dust layer.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Kermit said:
Mine fit pefectly in the ashtray slot.

Since I don't smoke, didn't need the ashtray, did loose my secret coin department though.

Notice the super custom Southern Arizona dust layer.

Ditto on the ashtray...

I mounted a Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location. It was very easy to make flush, and seems like a lot of others have problems making it flush. First, I removed the 2 screws that hold the ash tray slide out and cut the rear out with my dremel tool. To make it flush I used a heat gun and a screwdriver to make a small indentation on the air duct. I heated the duct up for about 20 seconds and pressed the area in with the back of screwdriver where the 90* coax elbow would hit. You only have to press it in about 1/4 of an inch. I used an 90* coax elbow to connect the Lil' Wil antenna coax to the CB. I them used 3M double sided mounting tape to secure it in place (it is a tight enough squeeze it really is not needed, but I wanted to be safe for future washboard roads).

2079781_56_full.jpg

I think the end results look great. (Pardon my dust, just got back from a 4 Peaks run when I took the pics!)

I ran the Coax for the antenna through the door sills on the passenger side. When I am not using the CB the antenna stores behind the rear seat and the cable is not visible. Total install took about 30 min.

9-24-2005-Four_Peaks%20015.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
FlyingWil..

So that is how you got it flush. I'll have to do that.

You know you get extra points if you buy your CB from a truck stop...I got mine from the Triple T, here in Tucson. They kinda laughed at me...you should see the size of the CBs that go in 18 wheelers! Pricey too!

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Kermit said:
FlyingWil..

So that is how you got it flush. I'll have to do that.

The 90° connector is the key. You barely have to push in the air duct.

j_nigrelli

Adventurer
i must ask

maybe i should start a new thread, but i imagine the answer to my question can be answered by one post so i won't bother.

Q: in the age of cell phones, why would anyone bother with a CB radio? don't they need some type of transmission tower also to be effective?

thanks,

j

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
j,

It's a good question. Let me put it this way... I work for a wireless carrier and have access to all kinds of equipment and services for free. But I always have a two-way radio in my truck (either 2M or CB).

CB Radio is line of site two way communications. There is no repeater or towers invovled - just one CB talking to another. There are also no long distance, airtime, licencing or other usage charges. Just the cost of the hardware, install it and go. It is the perfect method of communications between vehicles that are in travelling together within a reasonable distance (a few miles apart at most).

CB's are also very reliable. If you have power and a good antenna they work. They can take a beating and still work. There are also no out of service area problems.

Pete

Clutch

<---Pass
mountainpete said:
j,

Just the cost of the hardware, install it and go. It is the perfect method of communications between vehicles that are in travelling together within a reasonable distance (a few miles apart at most).
Pete

Sure beats flashing the lights to signal I need to stop and pee. ;)

My cell almost always never works in the back country...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94