Where are you now? OFFICIAL MAYA RALLY In Progress thread!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Team Matt and Isabela.

Ok I will admit it....they had my favorite car on the Rally. I would have loved to drive a WRX across Mexico, it must have been such a blast.

Matt has local family in the Bacalar area and he his the one who recommended Bacalar as the final location - and what a great advice that was. The place is beautiful, the water is crystal clear and the people extremely friendly.

Extra bonus points also for their great Mayan graphics...

L1100788.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Team Scott and Pati

As we were about to cross the borders, I realized that Scott and Pati were also in Tucson so we decided to connect there and drive together for a couple days. They had brought their tricked out Toyota all the way down from Alaska! We obviously had advantage over them in the speed category with our 4Runner but it was great to spend a couple days driving and exchanging stories! After surviving broke suspension and broken frame they eventually partnered with the other Land Rovers, as their average pace was a better match...

:)

L1100768.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Team Enrique

One of the problems with this type of event is that you never have enough time to chat with everyone....and Enrique is one of these persons from whom I would have loved to hear more stories!!! He was born in Cuba but lives in the US for most of his life (50 years+) and his now on a journey South, leaving the US for the first time. He sold his house, bought the F-150 and the Palomino camper and will be on the road for many months. There was some long night drives as an early decision to take the coastal road meant that he lost the two teams he was traveling with, and he barely made it in time to the party!

Good luck on the road Enrique!

L1100777.jpg

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Team Nate and Sarah

This is the other team that succombed to peer pressure in Guanajuato and enlisted in the Rally unexpectedly. It was awesome to have them with us, and I understand they had a fabulous time on the Rally. Sarah and Nate will keep driving to South America, so watch for them on the road!

http://www.thelongwaysouth.org/

L1100764.jpg

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Team Benz

Mark and Suna are an inspiration for any wannabe end of the world Rally team....go on Ebay, but a 1974 Mercedes Benz unseen and drive it down to the End of the World at 90-100 mph...

:)

While they may not have gotten many points for the scavenger hunt, they sure got extra points for styling.

MarkSunaBenz.jpg

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Team Brendon, Eddie and Catherine.

It's a long way from Alaska to Bacalar...especially in a 1969 Series. But I never heard them complaining once about the driving! Great job guys!!!

L1100773.jpg

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Team Ken and Cara!

Many people would doubt that a Syncro is reliable enough to make the drive, but they proved otherwised!!!!! Congratulations to you two, you know how close to my heart a Syncro is.

L1100767.jpg

Last edited:

Enrique Vega

This has been an amazing and awesome experience and I want to thank Christian for having the insight to ignite the Maya Rally. It's been an intense ride full of exciting and somewhat dangerous moments. The driving on Mex200 was way more then I anticipated. Yet, the beaches we stopped along the way were terrific. Getting to know the different teams is probably the best of this rally. I really enjoyed getting to know Steve and Ross and only wish they could have had more time to make it to the end. And of course, now that the rally is over, it is not really over. A group of us are continuing the company of each other here at Blue Bay in Majahual. This is a beautiful beach and we are all getting our wifi fix.

Good folks, good times... here's to the next cycle of 26,000 years! :coffeedrink:

P1040291_2_3_4_5.jpg

Rig-on-beach.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

WorldRallyTeam

The Minority Racer
World Rally Team

World Rally Team

Amigos,

Javier Velazquez alias the Puerto Rican Rum Runner, and myself would just like to say thank you for allowing us to show you a great times or what we call "Bongo" at the start in colonial Guanajuato, GTO. Also it was our pleasure to guide the 4 teams from the Laredo Texas border down to Guanajuato, we have tons of great footage on our VEHO Muvi cameras.

Glad to see everyone had a great time! As for us we raced back to Laredo on Friday and made it less than 9 hours but we ran into some problems in nuevo laredo and also detained at the US Customs, got it all on film :sombrero:

Then I had to jump in the time machine into the future and get back to Scandinavia. Oh well, Im sure we will run into each other again.

Keep in touch!

Feliz Navidad y Prospero 2013! y que siga el Bongo!
Ponce
The Minority Racer

312526_10151223201178565_67946668_n.jpg

18114_10151212396123565_403925009_n.jpg

209317_10151208112663565_1719564941_o.jpg

474657_10151208105548565_1924817987_o.jpg

257755_10151205417323565_677581232_o.jpg

I would also like to thank Tecate Beer and Scorpion Mezcal for their contribution to this motorsports event.
scorpionmezcalracingteam.jpg

tecate-nike-sb-dunk-high-5.jpg

tecate_logo09.jpg

tecatethanx.jpg

Attachments

• 312526_10151223201178565_67946668_n.jpg
    312526_10151223201178565_67946668_n.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks Ken for the update.

We are still hanging out around Playa Del Carmen with friends. Mark and Suna have left their Benz in storage in Cancun and we will do the same in a couple days. Right now it's very high season here and everything is ridiculously crowded/expensive, so we decided to head back to Quebec for NYE with friends and family, then back down to Florida for a business meeting and we should be back here in a couple weeks, when things are back to normal...

Scott Brady

Founder
Fantastic work everyone. You each exhibited a true spirit of adventure. My sincere appreciation to Christian, Persephone and all of the volunteers that made this crazy event a possibility.

Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94