Where are you now? OFFICIAL MAYA RALLY In Progress thread!

Enrique Vega

Wish we had more time to post pictures, but due to wifi access and being on the move, this is about all I can post at this time. However, do note that I'm having the best time of my life traveling on this rally with my new team buddies Steve and Ross. The beach is great at night in Zihauatnejo near Ixtapa, Mexico...

P1040113.jpg

P1040180.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

dangerbus

BryDanger
Wow. Wicked fun in Oaxaca last night!

As typical theDangerz are now sleeping on the side of the road in some small town we've never heard of.
Sadly, our points tally for the day is a huge 0 (but the bus is running and we'll call it good).

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We are in Oaxaca! Catching up with the other teams...!

The consensus so far amongst us is that Mexico is an absolute blast. Great food, great people, great scenery, everything is awesome.

MarkSunaBenz.jpg

feotusmummy.jpg

WindowSanMiguel2.jpg

WindowSanMiguel1.jpg

oaxaca1.jpg

A LOT more pictures here, contributed by many teams:

http://statigr.am/tag/mayarally/

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Since the Rally is getting close to an end...here are 2 examples of what the participants have to do, and it seems like at least 2 teams managed to accomplish the Lucha Libre challenge!

{Mommies museum – 15 points}

Living dead may start to appear shortly after the world ends so knowing how to recognize them is critical. You want to make sure your next wife or husband is not giving you baby zombies.

Guanuajuato already Has an exhibit of mommies that closely resemble what you may encounter in 2013. It is vital that you visit this center and show us proof of your presence there. Just don't shoot them.

{Lucha libre – 20 to 55 points}

We would love to think that everything will be “peace and love” in our next world. But if history is any indicator, there is a possibility you may need to fight to survive.

Better not to take any chance right now and start learning some well-proven combat techniques.

Find a match somewhere and attend it – get 20 points

Bring back one of the colorful masks and get an extra 10 points

Bring back a picture of you fighting with the wrestler and get 25 points bonus.

LuchaLibre.jpg

Here are the DangerZ and TeamAstrid practicing their skills! (credits to ExploringElements for the image)

http://statigr.am/p/348801681916325724_187407970

luchalivreee.jpg

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Awesome!!

I had wondered about the scavenger hunt, sounds like you came up with some pretty cool stuff Christian. Not sure about your "mommies" though! ;)

brushogger

Explorer
I am sooooooooooooo jealous right now. :D This has to be the coolest rally/trip/party ever in the history of North America! Keeps the pics and stories coming.

dangerbus

BryDanger
Where is everyone??
Isn't this a race?

We just pulled into the (absolutely peaceful and amazing) campground in Bacalar...and we're the first ones here.
Winners! Bonus points!! :wings:

Enrique Vega

Well, the Tres Amigos Team broke apart today. Ross is still on track, or so I think. Steve ran out of time to get back to the family for Christmas Eve. And I had to take a breather from the crazy roads on Highway 200 which winds through the west coast mountains of Mexico. We made it last night to Roca Blanca near Zipolite and each of us decided it was time to go at this Maya Rally on our own. To give you an idea of time versus miles, we traveled just over 200 miles in 10 hours! The Topes (speed bumps) were time killers. Every 15 minutes we would come into a small community and the topes would start, making us slam on brakes and bounce across the topes. Then there were the overloaded little trucks, the big buses, and the switchbacks that kept us from getting any speed up. Ross was leading and even though he quickly learned to drive as the Mexicans, we still could not get many miles. I thought the Maya Rally was about experiencing the country with time to spare, but I'm wrong. It's about driving skills, nerves of steel, and if you are lucky, you get a day to enjoy the scenery. Me, I was staring at the back of Ross's rig and keeping an eye on the shoulder of the road because THERE IS NO SHOULDER! One wrong move and you will fall over the side of the mountain.

It's still a lot of fun and getting to know new people and experiencing this country is quite good. I just had to take a day off today and watch a couple of nude bathers in Roca Blanca near Zipolite. Tomorrow I start again early to finish the Rally. I just may not make it until the 21st. Heck, it's the end of the world anyway. Right? :ylsmoke:

IMG_0716.jpg

Ross trying to get a connection to call home during our short lunch break in Punto Escondido... or so I think it was Punto Escondido.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, the Tres Amigos Team broke apart today. Ross is still on track, or so I think. Steve ran out of time to get back to the family for Christmas Eve. And I had to take a breather from the crazy roads on Highway 200 which winds through the west coast mountains of Mexico.

*snip*

I myself totally understand what you are saying. I drove the Mex200 in like 5 days with bad truck problems, throttle body was failing. If you made it all the way down the Mex200 without any major problems, you did better than my drive down it! You have to admit it is one of the most awesome stretches of HWY anywhere! And I bet you wouldn't mind doing it again just with 5x more time! I know I would....

I also get the splitting up as I have done that too. I think it is part of overland travel when you bring different people together and throw them into things they haven't done before.

I think the rally must be about different things for the different people taking part. But I don't know I am here and you are there.

The world ends in just over 72hrs, so whatever you do have fun doing it!!

cheers

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
we just arrived in Palenque! it's been a crazy last couple days, driving like mad through the curvy mountain roads of Oaxaca and Chiapas...

Here is a good trick....follow a "policia" vehicle for as long as you can and as fast as you can...they know the road...

;)

unfortunately today we got stuck in a major traffic jam on the autopista and had to escape through the wood....and then do a major detour...we lost 3 hours...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, the Tres Amigos Team broke apart today. Ross is still on track, or so I think. Steve ran out of time to get back to the family for Christmas Eve. And I had to take a breather from the crazy roads on Highway 200 which winds through the west coast mountains of Mexico. We made it last night to Roca Blanca near Zipolite and each of us decided it was time to go at this Maya Rally on our own. To give you an idea of time versus miles, we traveled just over 200 miles in 10 hours! The Topes (speed bumps) were time killers. Every 15 minutes we would come into a small community and the topes would start, making us slam on brakes and bounce across the topes. Then there were the overloaded little trucks, the big buses, and the switchbacks that kept us from getting any speed up. Ross was leading and even though he quickly learned to drive as the Mexicans, we still could not get many miles. I thought the Maya Rally was about experiencing the country with time to spare, but I'm wrong. It's about driving skills, nerves of steel, and if you are lucky, you get a day to enjoy the scenery. Me, I was staring at the back of Ross's rig and keeping an eye on the shoulder of the road because THERE IS NO SHOULDER! One wrong move and you will fall over the side of the mountain.

It's still a lot of fun and getting to know new people and experiencing this country is quite good. I just had to take a day off today and watch a couple of nude bathers in Roca Blanca near Zipolite. Tomorrow I start again early to finish the Rally. I just may not make it until the 21st. Heck, it's the end of the world anyway. Right? :ylsmoke:

View attachment 136478

Ross trying to get a connection to call home during our short lunch break in Punto Escondido... or so I think it was Punto Escondido.

Enrique - sorry to hear that. Yep going down the coast is indeed adding a lot of time but it's a beautiful drive. We will go back on that road.

Mexico has so much to offer, you could spend 1 year here and not even see 10% of it. The Rally is indeed more fast-paced than we all imagined - as overlanders we always want to stop everywhere and enjoy it all. Time is always the challenge, no matter how much of it you have...but don't worry, there is a lot more to see as you will keep driving South!

I really hope you can still make it by the 21st!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
One last example of the many challenges facing the teams...again, looks like at least one team accomplished this one...

{Palenque Rainbow Gathering – 15 POINTS for a visit}

After the world ends, different cultures may emerge and we will need to learn how to cohabitate again.

this one is a difficult one and may not be for everyone – be forewarned.

Every year, the more hardcore hippies of the world congregate in one location to celebrate. Isreal, Quebec, Argentina, they have been all over the World.

This year they choose Palenque.

Their culture is very different. They don't believe in 4x4 and material possessions. They have strange drum circles instead.

Stop there on your way to the Yucatan and try to exchange something. Bring us a proof of your visit and earn 15 points.

Rainbow.jpg

Last edited:

dangerbus

BryDanger
Sorry to hear about the band breaking up Enrique, but we share the sentiment about how hard it is making the way south at such a rapid speed.
For us the last few days have seen clogged fuel lines, a broken muffler, food poisoning, and sheer chaos inside the bus as everything rattles loose from the hairpin curves and cleverly disguised topes (that we always hit going all too fast for a vehicle with no suspension)...

just to catch up a bit, here's some photo highlights from our team:

setting up for the show with the luchadores
maya-rally-luchas.jpg

chanting, eating and sleeping in the jungle with the rainbow gathering
welcome-home-bus.jpg

daily encounters with the federales...an inspection every time (whether we ask for it or not)
maya-rally-military-2.jpg

a few new posts, but read the latest here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke