where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

958 with the PDCC and the front locker? That my friend is an absolute Unicorn. Been looking for that tell tale all silver round knob/button section for quite some time.

Hahahaha, sorry, I'm fitting a Harrop front locker and thought it would be a nice touch to make use of the console schematic and fit a 4th LED.

They never came with a front locker. Porsche/VW played with the idea and made 6 prototypes, the idea was abandoned for undisclosed reasons. It must have been close to production as VW produced the selector for it but never went through with it.

Hehe. How difficult was to wire that light in Dave? ;)

Bloody sceptics.

Not hard. Just a standard 5mm LED in a housing I machined it also holds a light pipe so it looks factory when off. It just runs off the power through a resistor when the diff is powered.

Yutahay

Simple. Too complicated, expensive and the stupid hand grabs on the console don't allow a comfortable leg position for tall people.

Cayenne-958-TDI

'Yes We Cayenne' -- Every now and then PCA recognizes that Porsche also builds four door vehicles too. Their December 2021 issue features a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, it's driver, navigator, and the Rebelle Rally. Three Cayenne's ran the Rebelle off-road rally in 2021. Previous years Sandy Connor and Lisa Wolford ran in a Hoehn Porsche Cayenne each with different livery. Sandy & Lisa won the 2018 Rebelle X-Cross class in a stock Cayenne.

sonnystile

I guess at this point I'm just playing devils advocate here, but what luxury features does the Cayenne or G500 have that you desire? Where do you intend to take the vehicle? Have you considered Discoveries, Range Rovers, late model Trooper/Acura SLX's, Infiniti QX4's? All those vehicles can be chocked full of luxuries depending on the trim level, would cost you a fraction of a Cayenne or G500 and have a larger support network.

My biggest worry, particularly with the Cayenne, would be drivetrain damage. Yes, you are not going to be taking it rock crawling, but you hit a rut at 30 mph on a desert road and you're in a heap of trouble. Nearest town is Boondocks, Nevada and the local parts store ain't gonna have no Porsche parts, or even an interchange part. So now you're either hobbling it to the next place that has a Porsche dealer, potentially causing more damage, or getting a tow truck at a substantial cost. Then the part is probably dealer only, and dealer install only so now you're out several more thousands of dollars. I mean, I hope this doesn't happen, but these are things to consider.

Additionally, even if you can pick up a Cayenne for say, $30k or so, modifying it as an expedition vehicle is going to even further drag the resale value down because there are probably only a handful of people in the world that want to have one set up like that, so you'd likely have to sell it at a loss down the line. It's not like a Land Cruiser or D110, where a nicely setup rig can command a premium because people want those vehicles setup that way.

Again, don't call me a hater, these are just questions that I would have. I just hope that you are not traveling down a path that you might regret later. If you do move forward with a Cayenne build I will definitely be interested in seeing the progression and even more interested to see it on the trail. Perhaps when you get it done we can meet up over a campfire and I'll sip my Jack from a tin cup while you enjoy your 12 year Tullamore Dew from an elk hide bound titanium flask. ;)

10 years later and instead of $30k, I picked one up for $3500.

And away we go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cayenne-958-TDI

10 years later and instead of $30k, I picked one up for $3500. And away we go! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, these are very capable out of the box!
Almost 10 years and 122k principally off-road miles on our 958 diesel with air suspension, lift kit not required. Last trip was 2 weeks in Moab, trip prior 10 days rally driving 5,120 miles one way north of the Arctic Circle. Drove 10-12 hour days competitively up to Tuktoyaktuk where we walked on the frozen Arctic Ocean. Next day temps of -40F blizzard 60mph winds for a -90F windchill. Then ice raced on the frozen Yukon River before heading to Anchorage for the start of the Iditarod.

sonnystile

$3500? 2004 VR6 with 200k I imagine?

2005 V8 S with 175k.
Big brakes and turbo 18” wheels.
Steel springs.
Good maintenance records.

I’m the third owner, second owner had it for 10 years and put over 100k miles on it.

Outside of some peeling clear coat on the hood/roof and some wonky headlight wiring, she’s been rock solid for the month I’ve had her so far.

The dream has always been a Safari 911, but that’d require me to make some sacrifices elsewhere that I’m not ready to make…. Yet.

So this Cayenne has to scratch that itch and is my entry to the brand. I’m really impressed with the ride so far. If feels like my old 4Runner Limited and my wife’s e84 (with an N55 and on H&R lowering springs) had a baby…

I’ve got new struts here already and am waiting for my Eurowise 2.5” lift to be delivered any day now. (UPS issues…)

I’ve only made it about halfway through this thread and have been poking around a few of the other Porsche oriented boards digging up info. So far it seems that 265/65-18 BFG’s will fit at stock height, but I was hoping to go with either 265/70 or 275/65 since I will be lifting to the approximate height of the fully raised adjustable models. Anyone running something like this on here?

I don’t mind a little trimming and bending, but I’m not ready to start chopping and lopping.

I loved the KO2’s on my 4th Gen 4Runner and want them on this as well.

sonnystile

I spotted a 957 Turbo with 18” wheels and the Off Road Technology Package (all the switches in the console) for sale online.

Dealer does not appear to know what they have. There is no mention of it in the description, and only a fuzzy picture I had to save and blow up to see the Anti Roll Over Button.

It’s on the west coast so I can’t go see it, but will send a link if anyone is interested.

Has 115k miles and they are asking $17K

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I spotted a 957 Turbo with 18” wheels and the Off Road Technology Package (all the switches in the console) for sale online.

Dealer does not appear to know what they have. There is no mention of it in the description, and only a fuzzy picture I had to save and blow up to see the Anti Roll Over Button.

It’s on the west coast so I can’t go see it, but will send a link if anyone is interested.

Congrats on your S!
That Turbo w/ factory Offroad seems to be a fair price.

moose545

What does that button look like? I've been on the fence about going down the Cayenne road and slept on an awesome CPO rig a few months ago. So there was no rear "locker" ever correct, just the air suspension and electronic modes to modulate the ABS and off-road modes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles