where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a 2013 with steel suspension and a manual tranny. . I also have the 25 gallon tank which gives me a comfortable 450 mile range. I was told my Cayenne was the last manual transmission imported .

Have you guys seen this one on BringAtrailer? Manual, extended range tank, no sunroof and no PASM. Unless I am missing something, this seems the perfect Cayenne platform for a fun overland road trip...

I've driven manual transmissions my whole life and after 3500+ miles in the Cayenne in two weeks I would not have wanted a manual. The Tiptronic is just so good. Kickdowns are awesome, no clutch slipping when crawling over obstacles, and you can select a specific gear when you want.

Dunno about the V6. The earlier one didn't enjoy a lot of love. The V8 was pretty addicting but it is thirsty.

You guys are to blame for this, I never found a photo of an Audi w/FrontRunner rack but after seeing your Cayenne's with em I was sold.

Mounted forward like that pretty much kills the sunroof, though, right? Our rack went the full length so we couldn't avoid it, but I'm a sunroof guy and would have at least liked the light sometimes. Farther back, it seems, would also reduce the wind noise.

dreadlocks

I mounted it forward like that so it'd be somewhat level, roofline slope gets steeper the further back.. if I moved it all the way back I think id need longer bolts and to stack a bunch of washers to level it back out.. also I'd like to put a light bar on it potentially and I'm going to need to be able to toss a canoe or tandem fishing kayak up there.. I plan on transporting it in the toy hauler, but if the lake is further than I want to carry it from base camp then I'll toss the spare tire off the top and take it with the Audi.. thats going to be easier to work with it in the middle of the vehicle.

It still lets plenty of sunlight in where its at, if I was the original owner I think I'd of ordered this w/out the sunroof.. simply because how much chassis flex it allows, kinda hoping this FR rack might solidify some of that.

changing gears here (heh), I have a soft spot for the VR6.. but thats because I took a 2.8L to 3.0L, slapped a big ass turbo on it and made nearly 500whp.. they are neat engines.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
New Cayenne owner. Got this one 2 months ago and will do very very light work with it. I think mainly I'll do road trips with the occasional fire road or dirt path out in Utah with it. Plan to get an expo trailer at some point or build one.

Mods that will follow:

20 inch RS spyder wheels with 265/50r20 nitto terra grapps 2 . (will keep the 21s for daily duty)
Front runner rack
paint the 21s black complete
Trailer hitch install for trailer duty

Since this is a GTS, air suspension is stock but it is 20mm lower in regular setting, though I think the highest terrain level is about the same as a turbo, not sure about that. So will have to run in terrain setting 1 for most any offroad that I do which will have to be done under 50mph. Last picture shows it in high mode.

IMG_8020.JPG

IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8049.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

and my old 4runner here:

ScreenShot2019-02-27at9.04.22AM.png

Last edited:

teamster

4. ROOF RACK OPTIONS?
I'd greatly prefer a vehicle has the OEM rails. Given I plan to add a Rooftop Tent for the trip to the Arctic, the ability to carry more weight on OEM vs Thule or Yak is greatly appreciated. That being said, there appears to be a Front Runner rack that can be installed on non rail vehicles. But I can't find much info on how it actually installs, and if it really is installed with no drilling, etc, why is it nearly impossible to add OEM rails to a non OEM equipped vehicle?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/porsche-cayenne-sl-ii-r-kit.html

krpc001t_2_2_f8c5d09d7eeeb6c624d8fb0d992a6dbdbe226bb0.jpg
Just a little bit of a necro here, but I'm going through a similar struggle with my '14 Diesel. I bought it secondhand, and it's got a pano roof and no OEM rails. I emailed Front Runner and they indicated that with the pano roof and no rails, they weren't able to do anything with my Cayenne. Huge bummer. Are there any other options for the naked-roof pano models besides the Thule clips?

73datsun

We ended up (rather randomly) buying a new house, so the trip to the Arctic is on hold for a year. But Cayenne diesel is still the lead horse. Probably one of the better deals on the used market after the diesel fix. Significant warranty extensions for an already reliable vehicle.

dreadlocks

Porsche owners got the best deal outta #dieselgate, IIRC basically a full bumper to bumper CPO til ~100k

dreadlocks

all the 3.0L TDI's were impacted, the Gen1's (up to 2012) all got buy back offers that were amazing and very few survived, for example 2010MY were getting like $40k+ offers to give it back.. The Gen2 TDI (2013+) didnt get a buy back offer because they were able to make them completely complaint with original requirements.. here's the sheet on them: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/PORSCHE_BOOKLET_3L_Gen_2-1_FINAL.pdf

Original Owners who have yet to get fixed are the ones that got the 100k CPO Warranty.. they were basically extended the offer the moment the scandal broke out as a goodwill gesture.. VW and Audi owners didnt get anything like that, just a grand in gift cards half of which you could only use at the dealer.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
all the 3.0L TDI's were impacted, the Gen1's (up to 2012) all got buy back offers that were amazing and very few survived, for example 2010MY were getting like $40k+ offers to give it back.. The Gen2 TDI (2013+) didnt get a buy back offer because they were able to make them completely complaint with original requirements.. here's the sheet on them: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/PORSCHE_BOOKLET_3L_Gen_2-1_FINAL.pdf

Original Owners who have yet to get fixed are the ones that got the 100k CPO Warranty.. they were basically extended the offer the moment the scandal broke out as a goodwill gesture.. VW and Audi owners didnt get anything like that, just a grand in gift cards half of which you could only use at the dealer.

thanks - this is very interesting indeed. I am also guessing that people are not rushing to be these right now, so they may be room for negociation...

here is a nice example

So if I understand correctly, this would have either a 100k CPO warranty or 48K since the emissions were fixed. I wonder if it's transferable.

dreadlocks

no the original CPO warranty was non transferable good will gesture, you hadda own a Porsche TDI back in 2015 or whenever it was to take advantage of that.

A vehicle which has been fixed should currently be under the extended emissions warranty, and is fully transferable.. I think there's a site or number you can call, provide VIN and the'll tell you the millage the fix was performed at so you can validate its coverage.. the only unfixed vehicles that could be on the market would be in hands of private sellers, those are up for grabs to get a bunch of money once they get fixed.. if they get fixed by the end of this year.. these will be real unicorns.

They are still rather desirable, well optioned and/or low milage ones will still demand a good price and move quickly.. however the artificial premium you used to pay for the diesel models has virtually evaporated.. so thats nice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles