where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cayenne-958-TDI

Sorry to change the subject but I'm a newbie here at these forums. I've got a 2010 Cayenne S on factory Air Suspension and i'm looking to see what the biggest possible offroad tires I can fit will be. General consensus is that 265/65/18 will work no problem. Has anyone done 265/70/18? I don't mind modifying the fenders liners if it's possible. Or perhaps even 255/70/18 as I'll be running 18x8" wheels.

Bit different as we have a diesel the 255/55/18 tires are the largest we can use. This is due to the turbo inter-coolers mounted in the front left & right fenders. Going straight is not an issue with larger tires, making turns becomes problematic. We too have air suspension and for ~six years of going off-road with General Grabber AT2s we have never had a need for a larger tire. We run Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8s for winter, will change to BFG KO2s for off-road in the spring.

We have 275/65-18 on our 2004 S. We removed the front air dam trim. At the off-road park there was no rubbing detected. It’s on the other coast but I’ll try to get pics of the clearance. For now:

Loading height
0BF1D0B3-46C2-401F-9997-AD7B6FEBD290.jpeg

Maximum height
5F6618DF-8995-478A-BF1A-3ECC6D00CEED.jpeg

I don’t know if the 957 has exactly the same wheelwell configuration as the 955 but it is basically the same body.

Sorry to change the subject but I'm a newbie here at these forums.
I've got a 2010 Cayenne S on factory Air Suspension and i'm looking to see what the biggest possible offroad tires I can fit will be.
General consensus is that 265/65/18 will work no problem. Has anyone done 265/70/18? I don't mind modifying the fenders liners if it's possible. Or perhaps even 255/70/18 as I'll be running 18x8" wheels.

dr_r2r

Observer
Where I keep my Maxtrax and ARB weekender kit on a daily basis. Otherwise it will go on the roof when playing on the trails for easier access.

22F5A24F-7A41-4847-8EEA-8248997F9AA9.jpeg8DE78DAC-AEA5-43B1-9185-092A6FF5FF71.jpeg

Last edited:

Cayenne-958-TDI

Would be nice to store ours like you -but- we have a roll bar with heavy metal mesh to prevent gear from coming forward while on the trail. Also have our winch mounted to the roll bar - we can stab it in the front or rear. All gear is secured to either the factory tie down points and/or to the roll bar. We keep our Maxtrax in the back as pictured around town and for day trips. Longer trips the Maxtrax are secured to the full size spare mounted outside behind the tailgate or to the roof rack. Also keep two 5gal military Scepter cans secured to the tire holder. Around town the Maxtrax work nicely as a fence to keep grocery and loose items from falling out.
One consideration, the plastic connector on your tie down strap is known to fail in a roll over.
A friend with his LR used these and in a roll over they did fail allowing gear to come forward.

Otis - Maxtraxx.jpg

dr_r2r

Observer
I treat my Maxtrax like a spare tire/security blanket. It's good to know that I have it if I need it and to hide it and not use it (if possible).

cameron110

We have 275/65-18 on our 2004 S. We removed the front air dam trim. At the off-road park there was no rubbing detected. It’s on the other coast but I’ll try to get pics of the clearance. For now:

Loading height
View attachment 489714

Maximum height
View attachment 489715

I don’t know if the 957 has exactly the same wheelwell configuration as the 955 but it is basically the same body.

@AntonLargiader, my brother, one other friend and I are building this cayenne.

I started a build thread over on rennlist about a week ago. It can be found here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne...21886-cayenne-for-the-2019-baja-xl-rally.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne...21886-cayenne-for-the-2019-baja-xl-rally.html

Anton or I will try to pop a few things in this thread as they are relevant but all the details with loads of photos will be over there.

cameron110

Here's a pic of it partially prepped.

IMG_20181202_164044760_HDR-XL.jpg

that's before the bigger BFG KO2s went on.

cameron110

Once we had the rack on and the bigger rubber on we took it out to Brad Paisley it a bit. All in the name of science of course... we had to durability check the roof rack and light bar mounts we fab'd

IMG_9606-XL.jpg

More pics and vids over on the rennlist thread linked above.

We’re posting trip details elsewhere but for those curious about the Cayenne mechanicals, we are super happy with its performance in the BajaXL. Keep in mind that my comments pertain to running at adventure rally pace, not overlanding pace. The only real modifications were bigger tires (with some corresponding removal of wheel well material) and a metal front skid plate to replace the plastic one. We removed some interior trim and infotainment stuff to create some extra storage space.

We never rolled across scales but we had it loaded pretty well with four people, an extra spare wheel, camping and cooking stuff, personal stuff, tools, and yes four spare air spring/struts.

The power, smoothness and quietness were a BIG help in reducing our overall fatigue. Looking at some of the other rigs (Scouts, side by sides, Broncos, prerunners, etc., it was clear that we had a comfort advantage and over ten days that really helps. We were typically in it for 10-14 hours a day.

The offroad capability surprised us. The traction control worked pretty damned well, and the locker/low is great although we perceived a slight difficulty disengaging it one time so we avoided it thereafter so we wouldn’t have to drive home in low. There was no terrain in the race route that we couldn’t cross. We were amazingly far out in the desert with no one else around and it just kept going.

The suspension overall is a bit harsh, even in Comfort, and with the non-disconnectable sway bars we were routinely flying a wheel in cross-axle situations like steep washed-out tracks. Our speed on the rough sections was slower than that of the rigs with more compliance and travel, which made for less time in the day to collect waypoints. Porsche lists just over 8" of total travel, and the height settings put you at various places within this 8", with correspondingly more or less up and down travel. For instance if you lift the car all the way, it only has an inch or two of up travel remaining. We stayed in the middle as much as possible so we had travel both ways, but the lack of flex was still very evident.

As the event went on we realized we needed to run lower and lower tire pressures. On the pavement we loved the stability that we got with hard (45-50 psi) tires but by the end of it we were running 20 psi on the rougher stuff and sand. Because we didn’t have a lot of sidewall with our 18” rims, even with 275/65 tires, we were reluctant to go lower if we were likely to encounter large rocks. We trashed the shock bushing on our new Delphi left control arm, and a rattle in the front right (suspected worn damper) got progressively worse. I think that deterioration would have been less with lower pressures.

At the beginning of the final day the left rear air spring popped. Sounded like a stone hitting the undercarriage but soon things just didn’t feel right and we could tell that we were sitting on the rear bump stops (both sides deflated) and we got an air regulation error on the dash. We hadn’t done this repair before but we had all of the necessary tools and it took about two hours working slowly. At that point I was sorely tempted to swap out the front right as well, due to the suspected worn damper, but it wouldn’t have been time well spent as we would lose the finishing points if we were too late to bivouac. Suspension-wise, I think my preferred prep (with some hindsight) would have been to replace all bushings in the original control arms with OEM parts, air down more aggressively from the beginning, test all of the dampers beforehand, and be ready to manually disconnect the sway bar. There are apparently aftermarket air spring replacement parts which would reduce the need to carry four complete spare struts, if they could be field installed, but you need the dampers to stay good.

The onboard air is wonderful. It inflated the tires faster than we could air them down, although it did take breaks during long reinflation stints. I suspect it has a temp sensor but I don’t know that for sure. We used it on other vehicles, too. We brought a compressor rebuild kit but didn’t install it.

The other issue we had was some overheating. Before the trip we replaced the seemingly leaking coolant reservoir with an aftermarket one, but in deep sand we noticed coolant boiling over. We then found that the cap was damaged (no O-ring and broken retainer) so we replaced that with one from Autozone. Still we had coolant escaping, though, and we never really got to the bottom of it. The fan worked, but maybe the radiator is dirty or there is still a leak. No oil in the coolant or vice versa, and it only happened when the temp got halfway between 180 and the next tick mark. We stopped running into situations that caused it (deep sand or long slow climbs) and shifted our worry to other things.

We never got around to changing the transmission or transfer case oils. We heard, or imagined, new noises that could have been drivetrain related but never went beyond mild worry.

We broke some right mirror stuff on cacti and lost a door sill trim piece. Had an off-track excursion that put a small dent in a frame rail. Have an idle shudder (always did, it got a bit worse) that is probably a bad fuel pump. All minor stuff.

I think that’s about it. No flats. We finished in 6th place out of 30 and had a lot of fun.

All shiny and clean on Day 1:
IMG_9301.JPG

Typically dirty, with the other Martini-inspired car on Day 7 or 8:
IMG_9363.JPG

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Nice I have a Rhino Rack on mine but there are the same. I have my second spare tire antennas , flag mount and two large Alu boxes. nice and solid.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We’re posting trip details elsewhere but for those curious about the Cayenne mechanicals, we are super happy with its performance in the BajaXL. Keep in mind that my comments pertain to running at adventure rally pace, not overlanding pace. The only real modifications were bigger tires (with some corresponding removal of wheel well material) and a metal front skid plate to replace the plastic one. We removed some interior trim and infotainment stuff to create some extra storage space.

We never rolled across scales but we had it loaded pretty well with four people, an extra spare wheel, camping and cooking stuff, personal stuff, tools, and yes four spare air spring/struts.

The power, smoothness and quietness were a BIG help in reducing our overall fatigue. Looking at some of the other rigs (Scouts, side by sides, Broncos, prerunners, etc., it was clear that we had a comfort advantage and over ten days that really helps. We were typically in it for 10-14 hours a day.

/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great report. I wish I could have participated. I don't know the specific but I doubt that your idling problem is related to the fuel pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94