where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

smithh

Hi Cole,

thanks for the info....I've also spent a fair bit of time with Porsches on race tracks, but not offroad. In fact I've not done a lot off road at all.

Off to search for a blanking plug, or see if I can get one made up.

Sadly, my cayenne is a 08 car, and they went back to a single battery with that model. The jump start from second battery is seriously cool. I have enjoyed the onboard air, although the compressor gets hot very quickly and cuts out if you are doing 4 tyres.

Do you have much experience with rock rails? I'm tempted to get a set, but fear they are not really up to the job. I'd want something I can jack the car on to make it worth while.

Must post some pics of the car as it is.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've never actually had my hands on a set of the factory rock rails. I think there were two version. One was just for protection and the other extended out as a step.

Here are some part numbers I found in another thread

Rock rails (95504480107): appear to be substantial and should protect the rocker panels fairly well
Wheel arch extensions - without mud guards (95504480011): mostly cosmetic, but might allow for meatier tires
Engine protection plate (95510798100 or 95550423501): certainly more substantial than the original plastic piece
Front skid plate (95504480016): appears to be almost entirely cosmetic, not sure about this one

smithh

I've never actually had my hands on a set of the factory rock rails. I think there were two version. One was just for protection and the other extended out as a step.

Thanks - I'l check those out, but not going to rush into rock rails, unless they appear to do the job. I have the 2 protection plates, the sump guard is decent (Although I've bent mine! but the skid plate is mildly better than plastic, OK for a bit of sand, no good for Rocks.

I tried running the car at extended height (sp. terrain Leve), then plugged in the spare tyre inflator. The car still goes back down to Terrain level at about 30kph, and with the car stationary I can still adjust the ride height. My car is an 08 957 GTS. So for what ever reason that trick doesnt work, so back to the drawing board with that one.

Thanks for the info cole.

smithh

Thanks - I'l check those out, but not going to rush into rock rails, unless they appear to do the job. I have the 2 protection plates, the sump guard is decent (Although I've bent mine! but the skid plate is only mildly better than plastic, OK for a bit of sand, no good for rocks.

I tried running the car at extended height (sp. terrain Leve), then plugged in the spare tyre inflator. The car still goes back down to Terrain level at about 30kph, and with the car stationary I can still adjust the ride height. My car is an 08 957 GTS. So for what ever reason that trick doesnt work, so back to the drawing board with that one.

Thanks for the info cole.

marcantoine77

Observer

d1a23ceaecb07fe61c5e61eebaca8201.jpg

ce51051019104d8153c71e5fbdccd597.jpg

c1b598be1c78be40228a9165b21c8f4a.jpg

6ee2e916d4a125b80315b1909e06b75f.jpg

2 Version

First 95504480007
296a7e6f697f40042f780569d4a8fa29.jpg

Second 955-044-802-05
b1d28e584d08fc66eb10b83efd26503b.gif

smithh

That car looks lovely!

The rock rails dont look that meaty, although hard to to tell in the pics, not sure I'd want to jack the car on them.

Love the light bar, I assume its the transsyberia one. Looks very cool

SGNellett

Adventurer
I have a V10 Touareg and sadly haven't driven it much. Bought it out of state and it had a bad engine that is now in rebuild phase at a cost of I don't even want to think about it. I agree if anything broke on the trail you are F'd. Most complicated and un-fixable thing I have ever witnessed in my life.

The T-reg comes with a 50/50 transfer-case while the porsche is more of a 70/30 rear biased T-case. I don't know how the center diff lock changes this feature though. The T-reg also comes with a rear electronic locker. I have air suspension but actually hate it. Very stiff off-road and loud. Never comfortable in any mode. The optional air compressor off-road is nice though. I would opt for steel suspension but good luck finding a steel truck with the rear locker option. Don't really think I've even seen one.

It is a very nice truck and I agree the options are nice and it will be a grocery getter for us for awhile. But at 13K you can't go to wrong for a vehicle that has 315HP and 550TQ and much more with a chip and a few mods.

I have heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel (nice when cold) and ever person has their own climate control to include a separate Air conditioner for the rear. Easily customizable with a VAG-COM. Hell even has a seperate diesel powered Webasto heater I can manually or automatically control to run when the engine is off to prewarm the engine block or keep me warm while the truck is off. My mirrors automatically fold in to keep them off of trees or from that coupe in the parking lot with huge doors or naughty kids. Dual batteries from the factory and one heck of a fording depth. I can't wait to actually drive it :Wow1:

Man, now I want one....

SGNellett

Adventurer
If you can find a Cayenne in good running order for around $20k, I would be impressed. My cursory searches have found me none in running order for less than $56k.

So heres the deal. What you did with the Sidekick took ingenuity and skill. I'm sure many gaffed at the price tag, but the effort you put in made people respect it. Because in America, we appreciate someone who is willing to put hard work in to get a desired result. Personally, I would have taken that $16,000 dollars and bought a vehicle with much better factory engineering and drivability. But thats me.

You are wanting to buy a vehicle that carries a stigma. That means you get to deal with that stigma. I can only assume that the Porsche 'overlanding' crowd (if such a thing exists) is, well, a bunch of pompous guys who sip expensive booze, wear sweaters over their shoulders, and pick up pastries while talking on their bluetooth headsets. This is much the same as the stigma that Range Rover guys get, deserved or not. If you want to dispel that, go buy your Cayenne, build it to the hilt, take it on the trails and show us all up. But I guarantee, people will still crack jokes about the high faulting life style you must lead to afford such a fine piece of engineering. Why? Because its a Porsche Cayenne, thats why.

I can't believe no one has made a Grey Poupon joke yet, fer cryin out loud! :jump:

dr_r2r

Observer
I have always wondered how the transsyberia can only have one snorkel, when there are two filter boxes on each engine side. It appears that they added two plastic tubes from the boxes and exits to the right top firewall. The right is a shorter tube and the left is a longer tube that crosses the engine.
IMG_1317.jpg
IMG_1318.jpg

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Nice I run the General Grabber A/Ts with a similar tread pattern. Looks like the only difference is the speed rating the BFG rated to "R" and the General rated at "H"

Cayenne-958-TDI

MetalDog, thanks for posting the picture! For an update on our Cayenne 'Otis' - We have since completed the wrap as protection for going off-road, added an interior roll bar with points to secure a winch. The winch pins the ARB frig to the side of the tailgate, National Luna case with a group 31 battery with 90 watt solar panel, rock sliders, rear tire holder with two 5 gallon water can holders. As this is a diesel water limits us more than fuel - best we did on a tank was 765 miles.
We have been active off-road with NWOL and take trips on our own like the southern half of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR). Have enjoyed many TSD road rally events. Did the ALCAN 5000 last winter which took us north of the Arctic circle - 'Otis' is in the video for a very short while at the 4:08 point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGrwgW3aKA View attachment 371560
I have several posts and photos of our CD build as well as links to several articles of what we have been up to over on Rennlist at:
http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayenne-forum/968788-meet-otis.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGrwgW3aKA
If y'all get PCAs Panorama our build was featured as an 11 page article 'Meet Otis' in the December 2016 issue.
Most of the photos were taken at the 2016 NWOL Rally.
Also pictured here is a screen shot from the above linked video that shows our rear tire carrier that also hold two 5gallon water cans, Maxtrax and our Trasharoo. With the range the diesel has we did not need extra fuel and did not want to carry water while north of the Arctic Circle with outside air temps of -36F.
The rear tire carrier is supported by the hitch and tabs that use the rear tow hook receptacles for stability. With one finger it swings away giving access to the tailgate. There are better photos of the tire carrier at Rennlist.
For off-road and rally we found that Cyclops Adventure Sports lights work better than any other including light bars. We use blue filters for snow and yellow for trail dust - www.cyclopsadventuresports.com

Attachments

• 2016.12_OtisCayenne_0.jpg
    2016.12_OtisCayenne_0.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Nitto - ALCAN 5000.jpg
    Nitto - ALCAN 5000.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 44
  • PB220021small.jpg
    PB220021small.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Otis - RSAmerica Track Ready.jpg
    Otis - RSAmerica Track Ready.jpg