where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cole

Expedition Leader
You can set several tire sizes in he the speedo. At 80mph mine is off about 4mph.

2003-2010 all have the same size fender wells. Mine is an 04.

8560169033_5a2188144d_b_d.jpg

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
'll have to look into that speedo change. The older models had more off road options available for them. Mine is a 2013 six spd. I have a spacer lift waiting to be installed.

Teflon

Observer
Cole, did you get the diesel? I am intrigued by the dual battery setup.

And I see your point about the Cayenne being near perfect, particularly if you option it right. If my pockets were deeper (and they were once; I bought a new Carrera back in the late 80's and that was my third Porsche) I'd give some thought to ordering one.

Alas, realistically, at this stage in life I doubt if I want to spend that much on an SUV when a BMW or Mercedes is cheaper.

But to answer your question, for my personal use, if I were to luck onto an off road equipped Cayenne the one thing that I can't seem to find in the aftermarket would be proper bull bars, perhaps with a mount for a winch.

Teflon

Observer

Thanks! I was hoping for something that swept over the headlights but it's better than nothing.

You guys with experience with Cayennes ... What breaks after 100K on the early models? Just in case I try a nationwide search for one with skid plates and such?

Teflon

Observer
Until you have to maintain one ... ;)

All kidding aside I found a thread over on the Rennslist forum about identifying the PB1-4 off road package and other relevant things. Looking at Autotrader there are a handful of 1st generation Cayenne's with the off road package if I wanted to do a fly and drive.

It's got me curious although I looked into this some months ago.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Until you have to maintain one ... ;)
o.

There are several 250-350k miles Cayenne Turbos on the forums:sombrero:

Honestly mine has been cheaper than many of the 10 Jeeps I've had. (Mostly because people abuse and neglect jeeps)Some of the parts aren't as expensive as you would think and not much goes wrong with them.

Last edited:

Teflon

Observer
Interesting! Thanks!

I just remember how expensive the old 928s were to maintain. The idea of another V8 Porsche sorta gave my heart a few skips ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Interesting! Thanks!

I just remember how expensive the old 928s were to maintain. The idea of another V8 Porsche sorts gave my heart a few skips ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you are paying dealer shop rates, sure! Otherwise those aren't bad either. There are dozens of super high mile 928s out there and a huge support community and aftermarket with reasonably priced parts for most things.

I've also got a 1987 928S4 and all it's ever needed is normal maintenance stuff. Think they get expensive when people buy a cheap neglected one and expect GM parts pricing. The timing belt/waterpump kit was about the same price ans any of our Audis and VWs. (Fwiw, our first family 928 was in 1978 so I've been very familiar with them for a long time)

I put a new AC compressor on mine last year for about $300. My 27 year old car finally started to leak from the radiator and it should cost about $150 to fix.

Teflon

Observer
Interesting. I pulled the engine out of my 914 when I was in college. Got it back in, too, and got the car running again but that was a long time ago ;)

Thanks. I will probably look a little harder at an early Cayenne.

One issue is that despite finding that thread about identifying the cars with the off road package I have done several searches on Autotrader and nothing consistently turns up appropriate vehicles. For most of the ones that claim to have the advanced off road package I can look at the interior photos and see that the switches aren't appropriate.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Ia m hoping you guys can help me out. I am currently in Afghanistan and will be home in Sept. I am planning to get a RTT for my 2013 Cayenne. Missing from my calculations are the measurements of the roof. Can anyone with a newer model Cayenne measure their roof?

That way I can decide on the what tent fits best on top.

Thanks

meanjoegreene

Wow, this thread is great. I'm really surprised there's more involvement around here with Cayennes than Touaregs.

So maybe a Cayenne owners knows something I don't. I'm fairly positive the Cayenne and Touareg share the same air suspension. I can't find replacement air struts for these things for the life of me. Bags, yes. Struts, no. And if you have ever priced the OEM ones... Outrageous is an understatement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94