where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer

Attachments

• IMG_20131219_124326_596.jpg
    IMG_20131219_124326_596.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20131127_144714_569.jpg
    IMG_20131127_144714_569.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20131127_144651_508.jpg
    IMG_20131127_144651_508.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20131219_124332_159.jpg
    IMG_20131219_124332_159.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 109

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have the onboard compressor for the spare but a C02 tanks always trumps a compressor. if I get a puncture, I can plug it and fill from the tank faster than a compressor can fill the tire.

No air suspension, it was not in the budget. I have a spacer lift coming from Germany.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I have the onboard compressor for the spare but a C02 tanks always trumps a compressor. if I get a puncture, I can plug it and fill from the tank faster than a compressor can fill the tire.

Having had several OBA systems(Yorks, sandens, Kilby's stuff, 12v compressors, etc), CO2 and the built in Cayenne OBA(not the little compressor they give you without air suspension) I'd disagree that CO2 is always better. I have a 10lb Powertank and love it, but....... It needs refilled, it takes up space, you have to remember to bring it and the hose, has to be secured properly, which usually means the bracket takes up space even when you leave the tank at home, its eye candy for thieves, etc.

So much nicer to just have built in, tucked away, always there OBA! The build in system with the air suspension Cayennes have TWO reserve tanks, the compressor is built into the passenger rocker and the air chuck port is in the passenger footwell, with a hose/gauge under the rear seat. Pretty slick and powerful system. Probably couldn't keep up with air tools on the trail, but I'm probably not going to have them with me in the CTT anyway!

Last edited:

CORDSIG79

Observer
Mike thanks for sourcing and showing real world application.

I have to get that spare holder or a trailer.

Cole always great content.

Texas and Colorado seems to carry a large sum of enthusiast.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I don't have air suspension. So on large OBA system. I can't forget the CO2 tank since it is always in the car.

Teflon

Observer
I was kinda wondering the same thing. I keep looking at Cayenne's, M-Class Mercedes, and X5 BMWs to run around Texas roads and sprint back East and over to New Orleans, as well as something that I can use for trips into Mexico (and yeah, I have already seen in your other posts that you are afraid to drive in Mexico so let's not go down that road).

Surely someone has converted some of these vehicles.

No one?

Cole

Expedition Leader
As previously stated. They do everything so well that no one seems to want to mess that up by doing mods that only give a marginal gain in one area while drastically reducing performance in other areas.

What would you do to one other than skids, winch, storage. All available, many stock.

Teflon

Observer
Porsche seems to offer a fairly extensive array of off road skid plates and suspension modifications.

The first generation M-class was considered to be the next generation G-wagon and were build on a truck chassis with a proper two-speed transfer case.

The reality for travel into most of Mexico these days is that you can get to most cities on toll roads that are of US Interstate quality. While an X5 BMW is the least able of the newer SUVs for off road travel I keep thinking one of those would be great for driving along the Gulf Coast and Pacific Coasts with just a bit of beach exploration thrown in.

It's too bad that proper bull bars don't seem to be available for any of these (other than maybe the earlier M-Class) because around the parts where I drive there is a real danger of hitting anything from deer to horses, especially after dark.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Its kinda hard to describe until you have owned one and driven it daily.

I bought my Cayenne Turbo with the intent on big 4x4 mods after having several highly modified 4wds. It handles better than most sports cars when pushed to the limit. It tows 7700lbs better than most pickups, both in handling old control and power and brakes. It will fit 32s stock. HD trans and transfer case to handle the 500hp. Why mess with such a perfect package?

Mine came with
-dual batteries
-on board air
-awesome headlights
-air suspension with auto leveling. 5+ inches of variation. (Auto levels with camping or towing)
-fits 32s (265/65/18)
-built in roof rack.
-navigation.
-6 power outlets
-refrigerator glove box.
-700lb tongue weight tow hitch and 7 pin connector for pre wired brake controller hookup.

Available options were
-dual lockers
-auto sway bar disco
-full skids and side armor.
-rear tire carrier.
-preheated furnace!!!

And probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting at the moment.

What common "4x4" mods would you add that aren't already there? Hell, I had to bluish dual battery and OBA systems into all my other jeeps. Only my Rubicon came with the same locker and armor options, and the same size tires. (But not the motor and brakes)

Other than the armor and maybe a winch. I'm just not seeing what is to really be gained with big mods.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz