where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cayenne-958-TDI

That neos Grenadier is an interesting vehicle. I know nothing about them but assume you are purchasing one because ya feel it is a better off-roader for South American than US platforms. Let us know more about it.
Would have no issues taking our 958 south other than ULSD fuel is not available. Reason we chose it to replace our 1st Gen Miti Montero was two fold. First were familiar with the brand having a Targa and an RSA for the track. Second was following Jan Kalmar's record setting accomplishments in his diesel. Just driving from Nord Cape Norway to Cape Town South Africa is a challenge. He and two others drove this in a stock Cayenne diesel setting the speed record of a bit over eight days. Jan has done several more like driving the entire coastline of Australia with his. This month he led a group of safari 911s and Cayenne's (including the record setting one) in a rally from Lima, Peru to Ushuaia, Argentina.
The Ineos Grenadier is attractive for its capabilities and that it takes petrol. We have seen one up close and are impressed with it to order one. Can not think of another new vehicle we would rather have. 'Otis' will remain in the stable.

ChasingOurTrunks

I’ve not been following this thread but I see the title from time to time popping up when I click “new”. Today I was on a little adventure up to Mount Washington on Vancouver Island when I saw this in the parking lot, so if we’re still trying to answer the OP’s question after 72 pages of discussion, the answer is “Vancouver Island”.

BFF616A4-3433-44E4-B1F8-4C190B52360A.jpeg

Cayenne-958-TDI

I’ve not been following this thread but I see the title from time to time popping up when I click “new”. Today I was on a little adventure up to Mount Washington on Vancouver Island when I saw this in the parking lot, so if we’re still trying to answer the OP’s question after 72 pages of discussion, the answer is “Vancouver Island”.
Love exploring the old logging roads on the southwest part of Vancouver Island. Roads you do not travel w/o a CB to call up & down. The Shirley Delicious bake shop in Shirley is a favorite stop. Would like to get to the aircraft crash site again, wonderful that folks have been respectful and not vandalize it. Would have to find our GPS tracks for where we have gone.
Here is a group of them at the Vancouver Airport YVR engine test facility. Photo from FB by 'Bear Vancouver'
Vancouver Airport YVR engine test facility.jpg

Last edited:

ChasingOurTrunks

Love exploring the old logging roads on the southwest part of Vancouver Island. Roads you do not travel w/o a CB to call up & down. The Shirley Delicious bake shop in Shirley is a favorite stop. Would like to get to the aircraft crash site again, wonderful that folks have been respectful and not vandalize it. Would have to find our GPS tracks for where we have gone.
Here is a group of them at the Vancouver Airport YVR engine test facility. Photo from FB by 'Bear Vancouver'
View attachment 750777

We are new to BC and have yet to make it south; we’ve been up to Holberg, which is home to the Scarlett Ibis, a great little pub for a drink and a meal that overlooks a peaceful inlet. This island is beautiful and can’t wait to explore more - Shirley Delicious is officially on the list! Thanks for the tips! And that’s a great photo of the Cayennes - those cars sure have character!

Cayenne-958-TDI

We are new to BC and have yet to make it south; we’ve been up to Holberg, which is home to the Scarlett Ibis, a great little pub for a drink and a meal that overlooks a peaceful inlet. This island is beautiful and can’t wait to explore more - Shirley Delicious is officially on the list! Thanks for the tips! And that’s a great photo of the Cayennes - those cars sure have character!
If you have not attended one of Ray Hyland's overland events, they are truly family friendly. Lots of different definitions for what 'overland' means, Ray fits mine with adventures like driving from London to Singapore in a two door 1950s Land Rover with his three sons and wife. He has three Overland Rallies: Plain, WA - Merritt, BC - Gunnison CO. This will be our 9th year attending the one in Plain.

Cayenne-958-TDI

That @mk216v fella has one? Oh My............
We have known Jeremy for many years. He has done more than a bit of work on our 958. Biggest was a bumper-to-bumper refresh prior to our 5,100 mile winter rally event up to Tuktoyaktuk. With -40F, blizzard, 60mph winds creating a windchill of -90F, we did not want to leave anything to chance. Did not have any issues driving this competitively in 10 days.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
We have known Jeremy for many years. He has done more than a bit of work on our 958. Biggest was a bumper-to-bumper refresh prior to our 5,100 mile winter rally event up to Tuktoyaktuk. With -40F, blizzard, 60mph winds creating a windchill of -90F, we did not want to leave anything to chance. Did not have any issues driving this competitively in 10 days.

Excellent... I saw 2 different Cayennes up near Tuktoyaktuk when i was up there in 2018.

That is when the seed was kind of planted in my brain... :)

Cayenne-958-TDI

Excellent... I saw 2 different Cayennes up near Tuktoyaktuk when i was up there in 2018. That is when the seed was kind of planted in my brain... :)

Posted above Jan Kalmar's record setting drive in a stock Cayenne from Nord Cape Norway to Cape Town South Africa that convinced us.
Our 2016 winter trip up north was a 5,500 mile rally one way - 'Otis' is at 4:08
In 2020 a 5,100 mile rally one way took in Tuk - Everyone got stuck and recovered someone else. This video has Ray Currie recovering EVOs Mel Wade

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
2013 diesel 958 - 134k principally off-road miles. Lift kit not required or wanted. Completely stock with body protection, winch, & camping gear. Tires - 255/55/18 BFG-KO2s for three season off-road adventures and studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for winter rally & ice racing. Used up the Michelin's it came with when new doing autocross, both got 1st in class after a season. Biggest issue was when the thermostate stuck open, still ran but not as efficiently until repaired. Have ground tent camped for over 30 years - prototype off-road trailer pic below --- For more info see:

Stock body protection save for custom front light bar (doubles as protection from animal strikes) and custom aluminum engine skid plate. ;)

Well after reading more posts containing "Otis" information over at the Rennlist site and the question I was trying to extract from this thread (but poorly stated on my part) was if the diesel Cayenne lifts a wheel are you stuck because the traction is only applied to the lifted wheel (kinda like have a vehicle with a CVT that just gives up or shuts down to protect itself from overheating). The responses there were YES that is the case. The diesel and hybrid Cayennes have been short changed on 4x4 system capabilities unlike their gasoline brothers; wheel lift is a problem. So now it makes sense that you are recommending the traction boards. Is there someway to apply the parking brake (I know it electric not hand operated) to put drag on the wheel to influence regaining traction. I was taught this trick in offroading classes. Or can e-lockers be added (probably too expensive or nonexistent).

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Jim,

As Otis' part-time caretaker, he is a gem of a 958 Cayenne that gets after it! Talk about reliability; -90degF wind chill on the Alcan5000 winter rally? Otis never let them down (they're around your age BTW). VERY comfortable SUV--much more comfortable than 957 or 955.

Regarding e-lockers, you'll want to look for one with "1Y1" option code which is for the PTV+(Porsche Torque Vectoring/rear diff lock). Lots more 958's came with 1Y1 than did previous 957's or 955's. "Someone" in the industry is working on a retrofit kit. As well, the other option is the Harrop/Eaton rear e-locker. And a front e-locker is being tested now.

Re: roof rack, I'd highly recommend FrontRunner (what I have for my 958 CTT and 957 TSSY), or Rhino Rack is excellent too. If you want totally unique, I believe Eezi-Awn (from South Africa like FrontRunner) has their "K9"(no relation to anything having to do with actual canines, save for the logo) roof rack as well.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes, as they were bragging about how comfortable the seats were with all the different settings they were going through, 5 minutes later it was "we need to get to asphalt ASAP, we have a check engine light now..." :)

This must have been before the thermostat was replaced?

View attachment 750777

Goodness D&R, looks like we need to head for some Tim Horton's and join these folks for a trail run!

I have been toying with the Idea of a Cayenne for awhile now, as they are popping up here cheaper and cheaper each month and CLEAN!
This is a great informative thread, thanks to all that have posted and shared their info.
That @mk216v fella has one? Oh My............

Follower! :p
Glad you're coming to the dark side buddy. Message me and I'll give you the 411 on 955vs957vs958. Onto my 2nd Cayenne now (1of46 in the USA), and was close to picking up a 3rd to build into something unique from the other 2. I'm CayenneCrazy; such incredible rigs and underappeciated.

Like Otis, I too have a reservation for a new Grenadier. Appears to be a great mix of G-Wagen, Cayenne, and Rover Defender exterior looks. Hopefully more reliable than the newer generation of the first, or any year of the third, HA!

If you have not attended one of Ray Hyland's overland events, they are truly family friendly. Lots of different definitions for what 'overland' means, Ray fits mine with adventures like driving from London to Singapore in a two door 1950s Land Rover with his three sons and wife. He has three Overland Rallies: Plain, WA - Merritt, BC - Gunnison CO. This will be our 9th year attending the one in Plain.

Another vote for Ray's NWOR. Been to almost every one since the beginning (only ~11 rigs and 1 Moto); such a wonderful community of various rigs.

<humbled> Richard and Dolores with Otis are pioneers for sure, and wonderful friends. SO much respect for them both and what they endure, with smiles on their faces! Also am(my team included) so thankful to be involved with Otis' care and prep for the Alcan5000. My toes would fall off at -90degF!! Another vote of confidence for what Porsche has developed with the Cayenne.

PS--Facebook's VAG Offroad Group for Cayenne's and Touareg's is a wealth of up-to-date and active info.

Last edited:

Cayenne-958-TDI

This must have been before the thermostat was replaced?
Yes the thermostat stuck open was after the check engine light referenced. Cleared the fault and it has not returned - Computers have head aches unlike our trusty analog 964.
So far the only hard failure we have had was the thermostat. Keep up regular maintenance and they are not that expensive to run.
There are several FB groups out there that post quite a bit about lift kits for Cayennes. Some have more success with their lift kits than others. With our air suspension, we have never seen the need for a lift kit in all our off-road travels. That said we have no interest in rock climbing or 'wheeling'. We have spent a bit of time going thru mud.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes the thermostat stuck open was after the check engine light referenced. Cleared the fault and it has not returned - Computers have head aches unlike our trusty analog 964.
So far the only hard failure we have had was the thermostat. Keep up regular maintenance and they are not that expensive to run.
There are several FB groups out there that post quite a bit about lift kits for Cayennes. Some have more success with their lift kits than others. With our air suspension, we have never seen the need for a lift kit in all our off-road travels. That said we have no interest in rock climbing or 'wheeling'. We have spent a bit of time going thru mud.

IIRC the 2nd CEL before Owyhees was some bizarre fault code we had never seen before; was after you were hauling the mail at higher speeds up a steep mountain grade. Glad the CEL hasn't returned!

Nice! Havent met him in person yet (he owes me tacos) , we are just internet truck nerd friends, but i've enjoyed following his build, bantering back and forth, and his attention to detail with things.

Ha, no no no, you owe ME tacos buddy; 12,000lbs of them. ********!
Appreciate your kind words, and your consistent cantankerousness. :geek:
Nerding out on Cayenne's via PM's now....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior