where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Site

Step 2: replace 22" rims and skinny tires with 18" and Falken WildPeaks.
V9KFJTM.jpg

More parts on the way but parts are moving slowly!

I am thinking/dreaming about getting 2013 Diesel. Planning to do similar as your ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cayenne-958-TDI

2013 diesel 958 - 134k principally off-road miles. Lift kit not required or wanted. Completely stock with body protection, winch, & camping gear. Tires - 255/55/18 BFG-KO2s for three season off-road adventures and studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for winter rally & ice racing. Used up the Michelin's it came with when new doing autocross, both got 1st in class after a season. Biggest issue was when the thermostate stuck open, still ran but not as efficiently until repaired. Have ground tent camped for over 30 years - prototype off-road trailer pic below --- For more info see:

Attachments

• ALCAN Arctic Ocean.jpg
    ALCAN Arctic Ocean.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Otis - RSAmerica Track Ready smaller.jpg
    Otis - RSAmerica Track Ready smaller.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Otis at Moab - Shafer Switchbacks.jpg
    Otis at Moab - Shafer Switchbacks.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Otis snow run.jpg
    Otis snow run.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Otis at Dirtfish.jpg
    Otis at Dirtfish.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Xpel self heal wrap works a.jpg
    Xpel self heal wrap works a.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 33

Cayenne-958-TDI

Scramblin_Jim
Saw your msg - did not see how to reply to it, thanks for the kind comments-
As you are, we have 12 stock 18s, purchased eight from local Cayenne owners that wanted different style wheels. This gives us 4 + 2 full size spares for 3 season, separate set for winter.

"Is the automatic transmission and 4wd system adequate enough to get ya out of trouble on a steep muddy forest road? My fear is they are not as the heavy diesel rig and low hp will not power thru and leave you like your driving a CVT."

We have not had issues driving on 'steep muddy forest road'
that said, if you are a good bit above your rocker panels most rigs will have issues. A photo above shows mud thick enough that it is peeling off. How steep a grade, depth and type of mud are variables to consider for any vehicle. While the grade is not an issue, places like the Black Rock Playa will give every rig concrete shoes with very little effort when wet. Proper recovery gear and the knowledge of how to safely use it are essential, especially when going into sketchy situations. First piece of recovery gear recommend Maxtrax not the cheapest but we would have no other.

Last edited:

Scramblin_Jim

Thanks for your reply.

I have done about 8-years of overlanding in a Jeep club (Jeep Expeditions out of Phx AZ) with a 1983 Scrambler and a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited, 2 vehicles on opposite ends of the spectrum from each other, so I do know recovery and most kinds of overlanding terrain and how it can impact a vehicles abilities to power through tough spots.

Again my fear of having a less capable 4x4 stems from the Scrambler ownership and 105 hp engine and manual gear box. That JK was soooo capable that I now fear i’ll get myself into trouble once again with a vehicle that has no lockers, no transfer case, no sway bar disconnects and no lift. This 958 just has the “off-road” mode and the BFG’s 255/55/18 tires.

I believe you have the same engine but other improvements, so I’m very interested in if you struggle at all with the same drive train?

I’m in my 70’s now and no longer can tolerate the rough riding and lack of luxury the Jeep offered and find the Cayenne perfect for me in driving comfort on road. And yet, I do want to do forest and desert gravel roads without fear of not having the capable to perform.

Any insight with a diesel vs the more powerful gasoline engine and feature packet Cayennes? Is it worth while building up this Cayenne or should I just seek out a late model Gen 1 with the built in better 4x4.

Thanks, Jim

Scramblin_Jim

Well after reading more posts containing "Otis" information over at the Rennlist site and the question I was trying to extract from this thread (but poorly stated on my part) was if the diesel Cayenne lifts a wheel are you stuck because the traction is only applied to the lifted wheel (kinda like have a vehicle with a CVT that just gives up or shuts down to protect itself from overheating). The responses there were YES that is the case. The diesel and hybrid Cayennes have been short changed on 4x4 system capabilities unlike their gasoline brothers; wheel lift is a problem. So now it makes sense that you are recommending the traction boards. Is there someway to apply the parking brake (I know it electric not hand operated) to put drag on the wheel to influence regaining traction. I was taught this trick in offroading classes. Or can e-lockers be added (probably too expensive or nonexistent).

Anyone have any ideas?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks for your reply.

I have done about 8-years of overlanding in a Jeep club (Jeep Expeditions out of Phx AZ) with a 1983 Scrambler and a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited, 2 vehicles on opposite ends of the spectrum from each other, so I do know recovery and most kinds of overlanding terrain and how it can impact a vehicles abilities to power through tough spots.

Again my fear of having a less capable 4x4 stems from the Scrambler ownership and 105 hp engine and manual gear box. That JK was soooo capable that I now fear i’ll get myself into trouble once again with a vehicle that has no lockers, no transfer case, no sway bar disconnects and no lift. This 958 just has the “off-road” mode and the BFG’s 255/55/18 tires.

I believe you have the same engine but other improvements, so I’m very interested in if you struggle at all with the same drive train?

I’m in my 70’s now and no longer can tolerate the rough riding and lack of luxury the Jeep offered and find the Cayenne perfect for me in driving comfort on road. And yet, I do want to do forest and desert gravel roads without fear of not having the capable to perform.

Any insight with a diesel vs the more powerful gasoline engine and feature packet Cayennes? Is it worth while building up this Cayenne or should I just seek out a late model Gen 1 with the built in better 4x4.

Thanks, Jim
You will have no issue on forest and gravel roads. Just change out the street tires to 18 inch wheels and A/T tires. Get a hitch mounted tire carrier and a full sized spare.

Scramblin_Jim

You will have no issue on forest and gravel roads. Just change out the street tires to 18 inch wheels and A/T tires. Get a hitch mounted tire carrier and a full sized spare.
Thanks mep1811 for your advice. I've started down that path already a number of years ago with the pickup a set of five 18" gen 1 rims and mounted BFG KO2's (255/55/18) on them. I've run this for a while but never took the spare with me as I don't have the factory roof rack and probable couldn't even lift that heavy tire up there. So I do wonder if putting in the extra $$$ for a hitch mounted tire rack is the best solution going forward. In all my years and miles of running the KO2's I never needed the spare and that is why I went with them on my 958. But there is great comfort in off-road peace of mind and probably will get a tire carrier.

Since I don't have a factory roof rack system, are there robust roof rack systems available? I went to the extra expense on my JK to install a system that went thru the roof and mounted via supports inside the cabin to provide more load carry. I really don't want to drill hole thru the Cayenne's roof.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Well after reading more posts containing "Otis" information over at the Rennlist site and the question I was trying to extract from this thread (but poorly stated on my part) was if the diesel Cayenne lifts a wheel are you stuck because the traction is only applied to the lifted wheel (kinda like have a vehicle with a CVT that just gives up or shuts down to protect itself from overheating).
====================
We have been on three wheels many times with our diesel - never got stuck even though we wondered why. Photo of my wife driving a tech course with the Rebelle Rally women. Not everyone made it thru the course as cleanly with more traditional rigs. The center lock and computer have never let us down. As mentioned before, we are totally stock with only body protection and recovery gear - lift kit not needed. We have done a good bit more than Forest service roads. On occasion with permissions we have driven off-road and off-trail to do plant survey work for land managers both govt and private. As to ride comfort, did a 17 mile stretch of washboard with a group. Yes we all aired down, the Jeeps complained still how rough going it was. We had the added benefit of the 'comfort' button which dampens the shocks, the ride was much more pleasant for us.
DSC_0766 a.jpg

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks mep1811 for your advice. I've started down that path already a number of years ago with the pickup a set of five 18" gen 1 rims and mounted BFG KO2's (255/55/18) on them. I've run this for a while but never took the spare with me as I don't have the factory roof rack and probable couldn't even lift that heavy tire up there. So I do wonder if putting in the extra $$$ for a hitch mounted tire rack is the best solution going forward. In all my years and miles of running the KO2's I never needed the spare and that is why I went with them on my 958. But there is great comfort in off-road peace of mind and probably will get a tire carrier.

Since I don't have a factory roof rack system, are there robust roof rack systems available? I went to the extra expense on my JK to install a system that went thru the roof and mounted via supports inside the cabin to provide more load carry. I really don't want to drill hole thru the Cayenne's roof.
You never need a a spare until you do. You can put a spare in the back. Just get Thule or Rhino Rack cross bars and you can mount a roof rack on the cross bars.

IMG_20190811_101350_292.jpg20201221_165438.jpgCayenne.jpg

Cayenne-958-TDI

As to carrying spares, when truly getting into the outback we bring two. Place one on the roof - yes difficult to access but better to have it than not. The other is on a hitch mount that also holds two 20l Scepter cans, Trash-A-Roo, and alternately a Hi-Lift jack or our Maxtrax. With the range of the diesel, water is our limiting factor.Otis & Guy WABDR.jpg

Scramblin_Jim

excellent input from all. I'm moving forward with the swing out tire carrier. Will do more research on the roof top rack as to which one is best for rough off-roading (washboard roads tend to shake everything loose with time). Thanks again to all.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
excellent input from all. I'm moving forward with the swing out tire carrier. Will do more research on the roof top rack as to which one is best for rough off-roading (washboard roads tend to shake everything loose with time). Thanks again to all.

I have Thule cross bars and a Rhino Rack platform rack on that. I can carry an extra spare tire a some AluBoxes.

IMG_20190712_101951226_01 (2).jpgIMG_20190719_143842028_HDR (2).jpg

Cayenne-958-TDI

An issue we have with our roof rack is our 8x8x8 foot ARB room. If the height ground to rack is less then 8' there is a potential for water intrusion. Resolved this less than eloquently by using large bull-dog clips to gather fabric. Our rack is left over from our 1st Gen four door Miti Montero. Tried working with both Rhino Rack and Front Runner - neither resolved the 8' issue. Currently getting by until our new 4x4 car becomes available.
ULSD diesel is not a big issue in North America. We want to explore Central and South America where ULSD is not available. Thus we have an Ineos Grenadier on pre-order. They are currently being delivered in Europe. Both it and our 958 can tow 7700#

Scramblin_Jim

If I recall correctly I have the same ARB tent room for the JK and the awning which I hoped to use with the Cayenne. I was going to break it out of storage and mock up the setup on my back patio before tried to purchase a roof rack system; verify what I have to work with and maybe uncover what works and what to shoot for in mounting the awning to the Cayenne.

That neos Grenadier is an interesting vehicle. I know nothing about them but assume you are purchasing one because ya feel it is a better off-roader for South American than US platforms. Let us know more about it.

====================
As to ride comfort, did a 17 mile stretch of washboard with a group. Yes we all aired down, the Jeeps complained still how rough going it was. We had the added benefit of the 'comfort' button which dampens the shocks, the ride was much more pleasant for us.

Yes, as they were bragging about how comfortable the seats were with all the different settings they were going through, 5 minutes later it was "we need to get to asphalt ASAP, we have a check engine light now..." :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94