where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Excellent point about clearing the spare tire and giving room to open the tailgate.
What brand did you chose and will y'all have a RTT on top?
Are you able to fit Cayenne wheels on it to have common spare tires/wheels?
We looked at several models at the NWOR this weekend. Very good selection including Bruder, Conqueror, Patriot Campers, and many others. We were very impressed with the Patriot X1H. Still trying to grapple with whether or not we want to go the trailer route vs ground tent. Main concern is carrying that much weight climbing technical sections of trail. While we did not top having four Cayennes' at the event this year, we did have one join us on a trail run we led.
Are these questions directed to me?

Cayenne-958-TDI

Mike,
Yes we have been trying to resolve these questions ourselves and have not come up with answers.
Excellent point about clearing the spare tire and giving room to open the tailgate.
- with our hitch-gate we can see where we could have issues swinging it open w/o hitting the trailer to then gain access to the Cayenne's tailgate.
What brand trailer did you chose and will y'all have a RTT on top?
- curious as to which you chose
Are you able to fit Cayenne wheels on the trailer to have common spare tires/wheels?
- the trailers we looked at can come with wheels from the more common rigs like Jeep, Toyota, etc. When we asked if stock Cayenne wheels were directly compatible with their trailer they did not know. Would rather have a spare we could use on the Cayenne and the trailer.

dreadlocks

Our bolt patterns are absurdly unique, the only way your fitting 5x130 on a trailer is with adapters.. which will push offset out dramatically and have questionable safety.. I looked and nobody makes a wheel spindle for trailers that we can bolt up too.

My full size spare is on the roof, hatch access is no problem when towing.. and since my trailer is so tall it basically did nothing to fuel economy towing.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Attended the four day NW Overland Rally at which Otis led two trail runs. One run had another Cayenne join us. In the six years we have attended this event had four Cayenne's attending one year.524152

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Mike,
Yes we have been trying to resolve these questions ourselves and have not come up with answers.
- with our hitch-gate we can see where we could have issues swinging it open w/o hitting the trailer to then gain access to the Cayenne's tailgate.
What brand trailer did you chose and will y'all have a RTT on top?
- curious as to which you chose
Are you able to fit Cayenne wheels on the trailer to have common spare tires/wheels?
- the trailers we looked at can come with wheels from the more common rigs like Jeep, Toyota, etc. When we asked if stock Cayenne wheels were directly compatible with their trailer they did not know. Would rather have a spare we could use on the Cayenne and the trailer.

There is no real reasonable way to fit Cayenne wheel to the trailer. The trailer has it's own spare and I carry spares for the car. Many people are under the false belief that if the trailer wheels match the tow vehicle there is no need to bring a spare for the trailer. If you get a flat you no longer have a spare tire and your trip is over until you can find a spare.

Some people use hub adapters to match the trailer to the tow vehicle. These adapters are very thick and push the tire out from axle . This puts extra stress on the spindles and bearings. The tires are no longer covered by the fenders as well as looking ridiculous. A custom adapter could be made but why spend the money ?

I bought a Smittlybilt trailer. Why? the price. It is the one most reasonably priced trailers on the market. The trailer is an interim solution until we decide what we want to do. We're just using the Porsche until we get a 200 series Land Cruiser . An In Tech, Sportsmobile or Tiger may be the solution in the future.

I have my Overcamp RTT on the trailer. I've had the RTT for 20 years. I like this tent because it only take up half the roof rack. All other RTT take up the entire rack. I've been doing this a long time before it became a thing.

I could clear the hitch with the swing out if I used a 12" hitch extension. I have steel suspension and that will bring the trailer out where the tongue weight will make the car squat more than I like. With air suspension it should not be an issue.

I am going to have the rear receiver on the trailer strengthened and put the Wilco hitch carrier with the Porsche spare on the back of the trailer. I'll have a second Porsche spare on the roof .

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_131149361_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190623_131149361_HDR.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20190623_181830875.jpg
    IMG_20190623_181830875.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20190623_191151040.jpg
    IMG_20190623_191151040.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190625_180924905_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190625_180924905_HDR.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 36

dreadlocks

I could clear the hitch with the swing out if I used a 12" hitch extension. I have steel suspension and that will bring the trailer out where the tongue weight will make the car squat more than I like. With air suspension it should not be an issue.

In my user manual it states that hitch ball should not be more than like ~6-7in away from the receiver pin.. so I shortened mine to be within spec.. the further you move your trailer pivot back the more leverage it has on the rear axle and the lower your tongue carrying capacity.. but then again my trailer is pushing my towing capabilities and I doubt a smitty is.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
In my user manual it states that hitch ball should not be more than like ~6-7in away from the receiver pin.. so I shortened mine to be within spec.. the further you move your trailer pivot back the more leverage it has on the rear axle and the lower your tongue carrying capacity.. but then again my trailer is pushing my towing capabilities and I doubt a smitty is.

Exactly. That is why I'm not using the extension. With air bags to raise the rear that extra weight can be compensated. With a larger trailer , a weight distribution hitch could be use.

The issue with this trailer is the height. the hitch has to be 25" from the ground.

dreadlocks

I've got air suspension thankfully, wont get another tow vehicle w/out em honsestly.. however my manual also says no WD hitches, there was a Q5 that put a WD hitch on with a nice sized travel trailer against the user manual.. went over a speed bump in a parking lot and it ripped his receiver off the chassis, there's a company in Canada called CanAm that fabricates a hitch reinforcement that allows use of WD hitches and with their mods we can pull full size airstreams with 900# on the tounge.

Mr. Merk

Man I think that would be so much better without that muffler in the way. I'm not opposed to removing it but my wife probably would be. :sneaky:

dreadlocks

as an added bonus that extra support looks like it'd double as a decent nerf bar if you hadda drag ass off something.

Cayenne-958-TDI

There is no real reasonable way to fit Cayenne wheel to the trailer.
Agree with you.
I am going to have the rear receiver on the trailer strengthened and put the Wilco hitch carrier with the Porsche spare on the back of the trailer. I'll have a second Porsche spare on the roof .
This is exactly what we have been doing. After many years our Wilco Hitchgate still preforms. We have the tire centered with two Scepter 5 gal water cans, Trash-a-Roo, and have mounted our Maxtrax. The second spare goes on the roof. We have used the Hitchgates receiver to stab our Comeup winch. Pulled two large stumps without issues. The day will come when we use the Comeup for an actual recovery, hopefully of someone else.

Still debating getting a trailer. Principle reason would be freeing internal space for our large dog that we now leave at home. Had places on the trip we just returned from that would have been more difficult with a trailer in tow. Thought for today is to get a gas vehicle in which we could stealth camp. That would also remove the restriction of being confined to North America due to ULSD availability. Something like the below Jeep conversion, there are other brands available like a G-Wagon I have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles