where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Cayenne-958-TDI

Our CD was on the first boat load to come to North America.
We have decided to not get the 'fix' - Many talk of post 'fix' reduced performance particularly low end torque, range/mpg, and transmission shift points going into a higher gear sooner, and reduced engine braking.
For most who drive in town these can be adapted by changing the way one drives, ie it takes longer to merge into highway traffic, etc.
For us we principly drive our diesel off-road Overlanding, and off-road endurance rally. The post 'fix' issues would inhibit where & how we drive to the point of us having to get a different vehicle. Our diesel does everything we want as is without the fix. Only issue we have is that it requires ULSD fuel which is not available in Central or South America. Mexico is currently in the process of transition from LSD to ULSD. Note that ULSD is an issue for all newer diesels, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Mercedes, etc.

Here is the diesel settlement direct from VW-Porsche-Audi:
Here is an extensive diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue forum post from Rennlist:

For what we do this link with build info, magazine articles, and video is not complete or current as we are having too much fun:

Last edited:

Cayenne-958-TDI

Progress -- PCA is starting to recognize Cayenne's as being Porsche's too!
From a reliable source, PCA is about to announce the first off-road event held at a Porsche Parade.
After doing one more dry run of the route it should be added as a Parade event.
PCA Parade in Boca Raton 21-28 July 2019.

dreadlocks

I will take the money for the fix sometime later this year, then I'll promptly reflash the TCU back to original, and flash the ECU to a Malone Stage 2, delete the DPF, AdBlue, EGR and enjoy my increased power and fuel economy while throwing the warranty in the garbage since the only thing's left likely to fail that would be covered is all the emissions crap sitting on the shelf in my garage.. then I'll pocket the rest of the money, planning on using it to rebuild the 1.9L ALH TDI I have on a stand in my garage and prepare my Westfallia for its heart transplant.

This TDI, just like every other one I've had, I always intended on retuning anyhow.. so I see no point in leaving a bunch of money on the table when I can use it to put more diesels back on the road.

Cayenne-958-TDI

I will take the money for the fix sometime later this year, then I'll promptly reflash the TCU back to original, and flash the ECU to a Malone Stage 2, delete the DPF, AdBlue, EGR ...
Do not have the same confidence of results in what you intend to do.
Looking forward to seeing how your approach works out for you.
As we have so much invested in preparing our CD our risk tolerance is low.

dreadlocks

I tuned my 2.0L TDI at under 10k miles and put another 60k miles on it after that and it never had an issue.. post tune was so much better, took away all hesitation and my fuel economy went up dramatically.. Still drove stock, was a modest power upgrade that largely widened the powerband so it didnt fall so anemic so fast higher on the tach.. not like the gassers releasing the krakens and upping the boost.. TDI's have long been cherished for their longevity and reliability, the tuners whom only do TDI's know this and take extreme care to maintain that... they start blowing up diesel engines and the community that they depend on would destroy em.. Malone and Kerma ONLY do TDI's and maintain all original safety limits (EGT's, Boost, etc), the retune is mostly in fuel mapping and without EPA to satisfy they do it better than the Manufacturer IMO.
If you want longevity, remove that exhaust gas recirculation that will carbon up your intake and foul out your valvetrain, remove the exhaust restrictions that cause EGT's to sky rocket and put a dynamic idle on it that helps it warm up quicker resulting in less wear and tear for short outings.. all things you can do w/a Tune.

New Cayenne owner. Got this one 2 months ago and will do very very light work with it. I think mainly I'll do road trips with the occasional fire road or dirt path out in Utah with it. Plan to get an expo trailer at some point or build one.

Mods that will follow:

20 inch RS spyder wheels with 265/50r20 nitto terra grapps 2 . (will keep the 21s for daily duty)...

Maybe the 957 limits you more than the 955 does, but I don't understand going from 21" just down to 20". We had 18" (limited by the front brakes) and would have gone smaller if possible. For the driving we were doing, we could have downsized the calipers and gone to 17". Larger rims limit your ability to air down.

dreadlocks

all I needed to fit my 17in Cayenne wheels over my big brembo calipers was an angle grinder.. heh... I sold my 20's off before I curbed em and reshaped the caliper tops to make the appropriate clearance for 17.. Ive got 30k miles on my $700 set of KO2's now and they still got plenty of life left.. vs what, 20k miles max for a $1400 set of tires for the 20s.. I can go twice as far for half as much and the ride is far, far more comfortable.. especially when aired down.

73datsun

Well, ended up with a crazy VW deal. Dealer called me about a pull ahead on my Golf Sportwagen lease.

Had planned to buy a used Cayenne diesel after lease was up. But looked at their inventory. They had a 2016 Touareg Diesel. Sport with Tech and Tow. Never been sold. 645 miles on odo. 100k powertrain warranty. 42k sticker. Got it for 26k. And they covered the last four months of my lease. May be the best car deal I’ve ever got.

Probably just throw some KO2s on it and be happy with nearly 30mpg and 3 years of bumper to bumper warranty.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, ended up with a crazy VW deal. Dealer called me about a pull ahead on my Golf Sportwagen lease.

Had planned to buy a used Cayenne diesel after lease was up. But looked at their inventory. They had a 2016 Touareg Diesel. Sport with Tech and Tow. Never been sold. 645 miles on odo. 100k powertrain warranty. 42k sticker. Got it for 26k. And they covered the last four months of my lease. May be the best car deal I’ve ever got.

Probably just throw some KO2s on it and be happy with nearly 30mpg and 3 years of bumper to bumper warranty.

Congrats. That's a steal.

dr_r2r

Observer
Modded a game hoist to lift up the RTT. It should also be ok to carry a spare wheel up the rack.

Attachments

• E287BEDB-2E4A-4BE6-B0D2-C7206B783BEF.jpeg
    E287BEDB-2E4A-4BE6-B0D2-C7206B783BEF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 69
  • E4CD1432-48C1-4760-AB7B-9F630C472053.jpeg
    E4CD1432-48C1-4760-AB7B-9F630C472053.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66

Cayenne-958-TDI

Thanks guys! This is truly helpful. Getting real excited about this now.
Follow up question:
- Richard/Otis, your wrap looks fantastic. What's the loose cost, if you don't mind me asking?

I just posted this to another page - thought to share here too.
We had our entire Cayenne wrapped with Xpel. It gets dirty, pin-striped and still comes clean after 6 years 88k miles of off-road adventure. As the self-healing Xpel is still doing its job do not see replacing it anytime soon. Note we have never taken any of our P-cars to a car wash. Mainly hand washed and cared for by ourselves. Do go to a detail shop for special occasions. Note that it is best to protect the paint when new or get a good detail prior to install - the wrap will not resolve preexisting issues - it will protect after install
Guy Minor took the photo with the Jeep
Jason Tang took the photo of our clean 958

73datsun

Congrats. That's a steal.

You know that phrase, when it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true? Well, we experienced that. It was a steal. Buckle up, here's the whole story.

I was blindly emailed by the local VW dealer and asked about doing a lease pull ahead on our 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen. I asked, in an email, for them to give me your best price on a Touareg Diesel that's been on the lot for four years.

In an email they said their fair value price would be $26,435. That number was blessed through the sales guy and the sales manager. We test drove it the following day, agreed to their "fair value price" of $26,435. We put a deposit down.

They had a week, knowing we made a deal at $26,435. We came back in, did all paperwork at a price of $26,435, that was seen and authorized by the Sales Manager and the Business Manager. The Sales Manager, (name redacted) called us 96 hours after the fact, to state that he sold it to us for too low of a price and want $14k more.

He then verbally refused to process my lease return or the title work on the Touareg we purchased, even though we have a fully executed contract.

At this point, they have my lease turn in (I'm still making payments on it, for fear of it effecting our credit). And we still have the Touareg.

I'd involved lawyers, the attorney general, it was a disaster. I ended up working with the General Manager of the store (who was awesome).

We had no obligation to return the previous TDI. But morally and from a time/legal cost stand point, we worked a deal with the GM. The GM, and the salesperson, were fantastic. My grievance remains with the sales manager and how he dealt with the situation. However, this won’t hinder us from working with dealership in the future (we've bought five cars there).

So now we have a 2015 VW Touareg TDI Sport/Tech, 30k mi, they CPO’d it, let me pick tires (BFG TA K02), gave me a price break on extended warranty contract, and an incredible purchase price. We're happy now. But man, for a bit there...

Attachments

• 56422383_10106637567139248_2280939998557503488_o.jpg
    56422383_10106637567139248_2280939998557503488_o.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 51

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I had a light bar made. The lights are Baja Designs

Attachments

• IMG_20190510_141319545.jpg
    IMG_20190510_141319545.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20190510_141332611.jpg