Where are the deals?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I had a CJ7 Laredo for about 4 years, and loved it...

Made the stupid mistake of selling it to buy a more 'highway friendly' vehicle while stationed in California. Stupidest thing I've ever done. Well, actually, I regret selling most of the cars I've had in the past. The '74 Camaro, the '85 4runner, the '87 GTI... Maybe it's just nostalgia... But I digress...

Anyway, I'd love to get back into a Jeep. I'm even thinking of selling the minivan, much as I love it for road trips. I'll probably regret that, too, in a few years.

The problem is that, even though I know Jeeps hold their value, all I can find is crazy prices.

I've always liked the CJ8s, and with a full hardtop I think one would be great for our family of four. Or maybe an LJ? Preferably stock. Love the new 4-doors, but can't afford one.

Oh, and if you noticed I'm in TX, we're trying to get back to CO, so that's adding to the Jeep dreams.

Any suggestions on where to find those barn finds? Divorce revenge sales?

Johnrunberg

Adventurer
I'm not sure what a 'deal' should be but, honestly, it's hard enough to find one that isn't simply ratted out. Less expensive, GOOD, rigs are out there but they don't last long.

For me, we almost stopped looking before we stumbled on our LJ. Every - EVERY - LJ that we could find was suspect. CarMax had a few, but a cursory look on most turned up multiple issues. The ones I drove had obvious issues with axles, tops and sometimes the engine. Private sales were even more suspect as it was clear they were ridden hard and put up wet.

We live near the beach, well away from anything resembling a 'trail' but most rigs were sitting on big tires, stock axles, budget boosts and body lifts. I don't have a huge problem with any or all -- but not all at the same time. And, most all were filled with water (or had evidence of major water intrusion)...

So! Our luck came in the form of a trade-in at the local Chevy dealer. They listed it the second it came in -- no pics and they hadn't even cleaned it up yet. Price was slightly LESS than the stock / suspect builds we'd seen but it ended up being a Rubi on 35s, Currie steering and Clayton long arms.

The point is... deals come after spending a LOT of time and looking at a lot of crap in a lot of places. I've been looking for a late 90/91 Vanagon Carat for ages but the prices for crap are extreme... but every once and awhile there's a possibility.

And that LJ? I love it for what it is, but if I don't make it to Colorado or California (instead of the coast of Virginia) in the near future then it's gonna have to find a new home -- and be a deal for someone else!

The Last Cowboy

Watch Craigslist everyday. Most owners think their vehicle is worth more than it is. But good buys can be found. But, you must contact the owner right away or it will be gone.

Sometimes the best Jeeps are at new car dealers that sell another brand. The local Volvo and VW dealers here almost always have nice ones for some reason. I guess the idea of Jeep ownership is better than the reality for some.

If you want an older one the YJs (square headlights) are the best buys right now. 1995 is the best year for them. Of course winter is the time to buy and the deals are to be had in the weeks before Christmas.

Scrambler/CJ8 prices are just too stupid to consider. Even a total POS goes for $5-6k. Every once in awhile you may see a listing such as "1982 Jeep Pickup" and if you're lucky it will be a Scrambler, unmolested and original at a fair price. I've seen a few listed that way.

An LJ will get you closest to the Scrambler experience for about the same money.

Yes, Jeep prices are crazy and good ones are hard to find.

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Thanks, guys. It's good to hear that there are some nice ones out there at a reasonable price.

Cowboy, I do know what you are talking about with trade-ins. My buddy back in Colorado Springs got a Tacoma for low bluebook. It had been traded in at a Lexus dealership. His suspicion is that because it was a work truck with in-bed tool box and a scratched up bed the luxury dealer didn't want to deal with it. Probably considered it a blight on the lot.

Maybe I can find something like that.

Thanks for giving ear to my frustration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94