Where are people finding the Military Trailers your building?

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Lots of great looking trailer builds from what appear to be Military Surplus Trailers. Just wondering where you guys are buying these from and what the going prices are? I'd love to try and buy one of these and build it up.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
They are on govplanet.com

Can you buy from GovPlanet without being a dealer? Is it an auction or what's the format? How much do they usually go for? I'm seeing on Craigslist they sell for $1200 plus. And that's for old ones. That seems like a lot for one of those old rusty trailers. Also they seem super heavy. But they are popular for sure so they must be a good way to go.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
It depends what model you're looking for.

M416
M101A1
M101A2 /3
M1101
M105

and the list goes on...

Craigslist and Govliquidators are a good source

tarditi

Explorer
I got mine on craigslist... may need to be willing to drive a bit to pick up the right one for you.

SteelSoldiers is a great resource for doing your homework on what best fits your vehicle/needs/lifestyle
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/

Do consider your purchase carefully - all said, it may have been easier, possibly cheaper, for me to just go buy a dinoot kit.

I keep a keen eye out in my travels. Sometimes people approach me when they see my trailer and tell me where they have seen one. They are usually rotting away in sticker bushes and the owners think iron oxide is really gold forming on them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I keep a keen eye out in my travels. Sometimes people approach me when they see my trailer and tell me where they have seen one. They are usually rotting away in sticker bushes and the owners think iron oxide is really gold forming on them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shoot, not as bad as aftermarket. Drop a battery in it, maybe a lid and roof rack, and now you've got what is essentialy an M-416 knock-off worth five figures +/-. Crazier still, people will spend that money.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Got mine on Craigslist 6-7 years ago before they became uber-popular. Now searching on SearchTempest it's hard to find any under $1,000 and within 1,000 miles of me. I've been trying to find another one to build for my dad as a hunting trailer and just can't bring myself to pay what people are asking for them these days.

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
searched craigslist within about 500 mile radius religiously, watched here on ExPo, iH8MUD, and other forums, went to a local military surplus yard who has about 20 of them, non in decent shape and his prices start at $2000 (kinda crazy). Took a while but I found one. There is one on CL here in Tucson right now in original condition.

When searching craigslist make sure to try multiple terms: M416, M100, Military trailer, jeep trailer, offroad trailer, 4x4 trailer, etc.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/for/5392229931.html

Too bad you're not closer to SLC. We use a company there that runs parts to us on their flatbed and runs back mostly empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles