Where are all the syncro people??

joetool

Observer
One more here. I just posted about the Syncro get together. I have an '89 westy that I just put a Zetec in. I think I'm going to let the Syncro group know about this web site; as there are a lot of great resources here!

Joe

jfarsang

Adventurer
I sinned and sold our syncro for a Delica. :eek: Got chastised for it on samba :violent-smiley-031: but thumbs up here :smiley_drive:

Navman

Adventurer
I don't have a syncro, but I do have a blue '80 Westy. It can be seen at 4-mile, Hook parking lot, and other SC surf spots. At least until I sell it. After 12 years of ownership, I think I'm about to put it up for sale. Of course I've been saying that for years now, so who knows.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
jfarsang said:
I sinned and sold our syncro for a Delica. :eek: Got chastised for it on samba :violent-smiley-031: but thumbs up here :smiley_drive:

Now there's a "Comparison/contrast" article I'm eager to read:lurk: .

jfarsang

Adventurer
T.Low said:
Now there's a "Comparison/contrast" article I'm eager to read:lurk: .

Here's my 2 cents.

When comparing each other :

Syncro : Larger interior cargo space because the motor is in the rear compared to the front in the Delica.

Syncro : Ability to turn front seats around and walk from front to rear.

Syncro : Independent suspension

Syncro : Viscous coupler AWD system is great when paired with front/rear lockers. The Delica's mostly come with open front/rear diffs and p/t 4x4 (transfer case 4L/4H).

Delica : Durable 2.5L Turbo diesel engine with a stout drivetrain and bombproof auto transmission.

Delica : A/C front and rear separate controls. Great layout for air flow.

Delica : Hot/Cold box (fridge/freezer) holds two six packs in between driver/passenger's feet.

Delica : Cheap replacement drivetrain parts (all Mitsubishi Montero)

Delica : Short wheelbase great for offroading (pro's/con's)

All in all, I love both. If I could have only one and needed it for an expedition and dependability, I would pick the Delica based on the engine and drivetrain.

The Delica interior is a bit smaller but not by much. The syncro/vw has a boxy interior while the Delica is wider at the bottom and curves up a 'little' near the top. I'm only talking a few inches so not that much, but there is a difference when you hop into both. I have both stripped out completely and they are very close to top to bottom front to rear side to side measurements.

I like the fact that the Delica's that are 15 years old coming over from Japan look and drive like new vehicles. It's the law/the way they take care and drive the vehicles there. That's the reason why my last two 15 year old Delica's look brand new and have very little mileage on them.

This one's over 100,000 miles and it's just getting broken in.

Comparing the two is difficult. I love certain things about the syncro that the Delica's don't have and vice versa.

But we only have one to choose and I was leaning towards the syncro and converting it to a syncro westy when I saw this one (pop top Delica).

That sealed the deal. Now I can strip it out, camperize the interior the way I would like and have a 'modern' type of 4x4 diesel mini van. Looks ugly but definitely unique.

Alternately, I can have a Syncro Westy with a 1.9 TD in it. That would be epic. But to get that, I'm looking at over 20-30k which is nuts.

This Delica cost me 9,200 all taxes/import fees/landed. I put in 2,000 (tires/locker/lift/inspection/lights) and that's it so far.

:bigbossHL:

SC-Surfer

Observer
joetool said:
One more here. I just posted about the Syncro get together. I have an '89 westy that I just put a Zetec in. I think I'm going to let the Syncro group know about this web site; as there are a lot of great resources here!

Joe

How do yo like the zetec so far? That's where I think I'm going. Love to hear your thoughts!!

SC-Surfer

Observer
Navman said:
I don't have a syncro, but I do have a blue '80 Westy. It can be seen at 4-mile, Hook parking lot, and other SC surf spots. At least until I sell it. After 12 years of ownership, I think I'm about to put it up for sale. Of course I've been saying that for years now, so who knows.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I have one of the (twins, but no relation) white syncros with a toybox on top. I generally make a trip through the point at least once a day.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
nice read, JF

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, its tough to find that ultimate 4x4 van, you want bits and peices of a few different schools of thought that don't necessarily fit together. The pop top find was awesome, way to go.

Looking forward to checking it out.

TL

JED THE SPREAD

CampervanCulture.com
whistle.gif

101_0573.jpg

101_0575.jpg

101_0577.jpg

Photo0139.jpg

Photo0140.jpg

jed

slosurfer

Adventurer
Unfortunately, you probably will never be able to get a Delica registered in California, so I guess there is no comparison in this state.

Ahemm... Toyota 4wd Van :sombrero:

I really like Synchros. I live right down the street from Go Westy, so I always drive by and :drool:

jfarsang

Adventurer
Unfortunately, you probably will never be able to get a Delica registered in California, so I guess there is no comparison in this state.

You can import older Delica's. Still very capable diesel 4x4's. :

Or there's another way.

Pickup a 2WD Mitsubishi vanwagon (86-89) that are available in NA for 1-2k.

Pickup a parts/rolled 91-93 Delica in Canada and truck it down.

Transplant the drivetrain from the Delica into the vanwagon.

It's work but possible. :chef:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1002046349.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/994749748.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/971255091.html

:ylsmoke:

offtopicexit.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles