Where are all the syncro people??

That is a nice rig I'm using the fly wheel wheel from that kit.
The pressure plate is from kennedy engineering the audi just kept slipping.

To get the pic to get on the post has some thing to do with the little paper clip thingy by the smiley face.

I used to have days like that they were great but I would either break something or end up arrested or both. I really liked the shots going thru the tree tunnel surreal
If you have a chance set up camp in a river water going by is great to sleep by.

wely

Observer
covrting to syncro?

Is it possible to convert a vanagon to syncros? I have access to a three row vanagon but would love to convert it to a syncros.

jammyauto

Adventurer
You basically need a complete parts syncro to get all the parts from. There are a couple weld on bits but it's mostly just bolt on stuff. Still a big job.

jfarsang

Adventurer
It is easier to make a westy a syncro than the other way around worth more to

Opposite of my experience.

For me, a syncro -> westy is harder and more time consuming than a westy -> syncro by a long shot.

To do a westy interior/pop top and transplant it onto a syncro vanagon, you'll need welding and cutting skills.

But if you have both, it's a heck of a lot easier to do.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Wait a minute... I have a Syncro too! Ok, so its the Golf version of the syncro, but its still pretty cool. I picked it up as a beater car so I wouldnt have to daily drive my Jeep. I got it at the local junk yard for $400 dollars. Put a new muffler on it, passed inspection, and have been driving the crap out of it for 10 months. Its got a whopping 340,000 kilometers on it, and runs like a champ. 35 miles per gallon, over 750 km on one tank.

I thought I was buy a regular VW Golf, I had no idea what the 'syncro' designation meant until I put it on the lift to install the muffler.

"hey... I thought this thing was front wheel drive, whats it doing with a drive shaft and rear axles?" After a brief internet search, I realized I had a pretty special golf. :)

It has been a life saver in the snow over here, I have motored through 8 inches of the white stuff with no problems, other than it coming over the hood!

I am giving it to the brother of a friend here when we go back to the US in a month. He lives in the US and is a VW technician who has already imported the 'rally' version into the US. He is excited to get it to say the least. He is gladly paying the 1500 bucks to ship it over. Apparently they are pretty rare here in Europe, and basically non existent in the US.

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0881.jpg

DSCN0880.jpg

DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

syncroand101

Thought I'd post a few pics of a little trip we did this weekend.

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_017.jpg

Up in the mountains in Wales

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_019.jpg

Nice twisty tracks, pics never show the severity!

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_032.jpg

A few water crossings..

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_041.jpg

Fantastic scenery, and not a soul around!

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_052.jpg

Beach Camp

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_059.jpg

Camp at night

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_070.jpg

Can you get a better evening, beach, stars, a fire and friends. (and maybe a few jars)

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_063.jpg

Roof tent under the stars

Syncro_Wales_Wkend_075.jpg

stclair

Adventurer
Last weekend, nothing crazy, just getting her out!

OBX055.jpg

OBX091.jpg

Really happy with our new Syncro! It does have a little seam rust, and some around the windshield, so we are looking for a great body shop that's not too far away. We plan on making a few mods to our van, and get it super solid for our planned trip. Any advice is always welcome!

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I think that we missed the "Gather on the Oregon Coast" memo:
My dads Westfialia was joined by four others and a Eurovan
IMGP2637.JPG
IMGP2650.JPG
IMGP2642.JPG

Two white, two silver and the brown Syncro...oh, and the white Eurovan. Sort of a freaky mid October unplanned rendezvous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles