Where are all the solar blankets in the US?

rayra

Expedition Leader
drop the 100w from your search terms.

As time goes on and the internet / google etc get more cluttered with garbage, I'm having better success searchign for things by using more generic search terms and switching to the image results. Then I browse those for what I'm looking for and backtrack those images to a site for a model name or brand and then search again. It seems to be a quicker way to winnow thru things.

jeegro

Adventurer
The Powerfilm's look nice, but they're ~$1,200 for a 120W panel. I guess I'll have to make room for a suitcase panel, unless anyone knows of any other options.

john61ct

Adventurer
The 19V laptop output should feed some SCs just fine, or a DCDC charger / converter.

Or void the warranty and bypass the built in SC to feed a stock SC.

Or find an AliExpress supplier.

Or ship from Australia.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, just note may not be as robust as the Aussie ones, where gov required guarantees are stronger. Probably why this type is sold more there than the big semi-flex.

Two of those in parallel (or serial*) would match a Victron 75/15 MPPT,

4 if going into a 24V setup.

SmartSolar version maybe $125?

*Easy to test which config puts out more watts, but stick to parallel if there's partial shading.

jeegro

Adventurer
Agreed the Redarc or other aussie panels are probably better / more durable... but the price is $1,500+. I think $200 is worth a gamble for these, and buying from Amazon gives me a really good return policy. If they turn out to be junk, I'd probably save up for the PowerFilm's, as they look to be of very good quality (~$1,300).

Currently deciding between:

AIMS Power: https://www.amazon.com/AIMS-Power-PV120CASE-Portable-Foldable/dp/B078K5WHP2
Lensun: https://www.amazon.com/Lensun-Foldable-Ultralight-Motorhomes-Caravans/dp/B071FSLZGT
ACOPOWER: https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Portable-Foldable-Controller-Suitcase/dp/B074ZR3RNP

The lensun looks like it has more reviews on the internet, but I prefer the form factor of the AIMS.

I have the Morningstar Sunsaver 15 MPPT at the moment, with 200W (2x Renogy 100w panels) in parallel. But these panels are fixed mounted, so it's rare to get full output from them. Given that, adding another 120W would technically put me over what the Morningstar can handle, but in practicality I think it should be just around perfect. Batteries are Dual odyssey 68aH (Bluesea 7622 ACR). With one for the starter, I only have 34aH of usable energy. It seems to work okay (50-60% SoC in the morning, monitored with a Bluesea 1830) for my setup - just a Dometic 65L fridge. At some point I want to add another fridge and charge various batteries, so my next step before that would be a 3rd lithium battery with a DCDC/MPPT/charger, and I'd keep the dual isolated odyssey's up front for winching, starting, vehicle electronics, etc. But I can't stomach the cost of lithium yet. I debated adding an AGM, but I can't afford the weight, plus the gains are minimal: e.g, 38->50ah (with a 100aH AGM). 12aH is not worth 70 pounds... so I think Lithium is really the only way to go, eventually.

Last edited:

KenC

OutThere
Last fall at Reeb Ranch, saw a demo of this fold-able solar blanket, see below. No idea price. Have been visiting their web site since and finally see fold-able pics but no info.

Krytos

Adventurer
While wandering the internet I found the Inverterstore.com and they have a surprisingly affordable folding 120 Watt kit. I can't vouch for these but they seemed interesting.

Panel is here.

jeegro

Adventurer
While wandering the internet I found the Inverterstore.com and they have a surprisingly affordable folding 120 Watt kit. I can't vouch for these but they seemed interesting.

Panel is here.

Not bad, I'm looking for more of the blanket style panel, but as far as suitcase-style options go, this one looks compact and lightweight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles