Where are all the 6.6 duramax vans?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m glad to hear the Duramax is working out for all of you.

A good friend worked for a tow company... he told me the Duramax they had kept blowing head gaskets. He had a low opinion of the Duramax. 6.0 Fords were even worse.... in contrast the 7.3 truck’s hour meter had been pinned at 99,999 hours for years, and it just wouldn’t die.

whith

Duramax versions had varying levels of....success but once they got to the LML version they were pretty dialed in. Yes ours are technically LGHs but other than some EGR and i think turbo size differences it’s basically an LML. GM did a good job in my opinion of evolving this engine over time. Also, as in the Fords, the vans are detuned. Mostly from what i understand to protect the transmission as it’s a 6L90 rather than Allison. Stock HP in the Van is I think 260 where the trucks stock number was about 100 more. I do have a slight tune (40 hp) in mine but as it is, I can tell it’s still barely working almost all the time. Temps always stay well under control.

Redheddedwonder

I am sure there are lots of threads on this but is it possible to swap to the Allison transmission? I’m sure the space is the issue.

whith

Len.Barron who replied earlier put one in his but it was basically a wholly new van that he reassembled using a truck engine. Very impressive stuff if you want to check out his build. I think space is a bit of a problem but not the biggest one. The electronics I think is a much bigger issue. Unless you're going after really really big power its not worth it. The 6L90 is a good unit from what I've read and experienced as long as you don't go crazy. I did a little bit of exhaust work plus the tune I'm probably pushing a little over 300 hp and around 650 lb ft of torque and it does just fine.

Last edited:

Redheddedwonder

Len.Barron who replied earlier put one in his but it was basically a wholly new van that he reassembled using a truck engine. Very impressive stuff if you want to check out his build. I think space is a bit of a problem but not the biggest one. The electronics I think is a much bigger issue. Unless you're going after really really big power its not worth it. The 6L90 is a good unit from what I've read and experienced as long as you don't go crazy. I did a little bit of exhaust work plus the tune I'm probably pushing a little over 300 hp and around 650 lb ft of torque and it does just fine.
Awesome good to know, the most I see myself towing would be a built Jeep, maybe a four door but more likely an LJ so I think I would be fine.

This thread if making me want to sell my van early and start the search, but moving to Colorado is the main priority and then the van search will start heavily!

Len.Barron

Observer
Awesome good to know, the most I see myself towing would be a built Jeep, maybe a four door but more likely an LJ so I think I would be fine.

This thread if making me want to sell my van early and start the search, but moving to Colorado is the main priority and then the van search will start heavily!
the allison swap is not something I'd recommend to anyone, it was a personal challenge for myself (I don't like to be told "you can't do that") and I'm super happy with the result, but, it's a massive commitment.

Abitibi

Explorer
Funny, I've been looking for a replacement of my Ford ambo for the last few months. When I bought my 1st one, 1 or 2 would pop up weekly on the auction. Now all I can see on our local auction are the Chevy ambos with the 6.6 (mostly 2009 to 2011). They have a nicer interior than the Ford but everyone I've spoke with said although it's a great engine it's a real guzzler and the frame is softer which makes it harder to convert to 4x4 (although gives the plush ride).

Was I misinformed on the thirsty fuel and soft frame?

How much would you pay for a clean ambo with the 6.6 and around 220k miles? Maybe I should get into a side business, lol

Cheers
David

Redheddedwonder

Funny, I've been looking for a replacement of my Ford ambo for the last few months. When I bought my 1st one, 1 or 2 would pop up weekly on the auction. Now all I can see on our local auction are the Chevy ambos with the 6.6 (mostly 2009 to 2011). They have a nicer interior than the Ford but everyone I've spoke with said although it's a great engine it's a real guzzler and the frame is softer which makes it harder to convert to 4x4 (although gives the plush ride).

Was I misinformed on the thirsty fuel and soft frame?

How much would you pay for a clean ambo with the 6.6 and around 220k miles? Maybe I should get into a side business, lol

Cheers
David

I don’t have those answers for you but I have been looking and found a handful of them as well! I think the ambo builds are awesome. Is it possible to add forward facing seats so they can seat at least four? No kids right now but they will be coming in the next 5ish years for us so forward facing seats are important.

Abitibi

Explorer
I don’t have those answers for you but I have been looking and found a handful of them as well! I think the ambo builds are awesome. Is it possible to add forward facing seats so they can seat at least four? No kids right now but they will be coming in the next 5ish years for us so forward facing seats are important.

I have 2 kidos and that's what I've done with mine. It's a Ford but they have the identical box on the Chevys...

20200215_110643.jpg20200215_110702.jpg20200215_111140.jpg

whith

My fuel consumption is about 15% better than it was with my Ford 6.0. When I first got it it was stock height and tires, essentially a stock van with Quigley 4x4. I got close to 20 mpg on several trips up to Portland. I’ve since ruined that with bumpers, lift, roof rack etc and get 15-18 depending on the wind on the freeway at 70-75. I don’t really track it around town.

Last edited:

Len.Barron

Observer
My fuel consumption is about 15% better than it was with my Ford 6.0. When I first got it it was stock height and tires, essentially a stock van with Quigley 4x4. I got close to 20 mpg on several trips up to Portland. I’ve since ruined that with bumpers, lift, roof rack etc and get 15-18 depending on the wind on the freeway at 70-75. I don’t really track it around town.
yep...mine(hightop 4x4) loaded out for camping (close to 10klbs)with the scooter on the back gets 15mpg hwy.

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Ive had my 08 Duramax high top for about 5 years, has been the best road trip rig we've ever had. I live at 8100 ft above Durango CO, have dragged this 6K lb Outback trailer over every mountain pass no sweat. I have owned several Duramax vans, including a 250K Quigley that ran and drove like new. I love them, they are awesome rigs. 10-12 mpg up here around town, maybe 14 hwy. I get more like 18mpg down at sea level, I'm running a rear locker, 2 inch lift, 285 Coopers and the aerodynamics of a 5 ton brick, lol.

Attachments

• 092 (1024x768).jpg
    092 (1024x768).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 111 (1024x791).jpg
    111 (1024x791).jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 27

Redheddedwonder

Those are all good numbers! My E350 gets about 13 highway.

Ive had my 08 Duramax high top for about 5 years, has been the best road trip rig we've ever had. I live at 8100 ft above Durango CO, have dragged this 6K lb Outback trailer over every mountain pass no sweat. I have owned several Duramax vans, including a 250K Quigley that ran and drove like new. I love them, they are awesome rigs. 10-12 mpg up here around town, maybe 14 hwy. I get more like 18mpg down at sea level, I'm running a rear locker, 2 inch lift, 285 Coopers and the aerodynamics of a 5 ton brick, lol.

awesome! That’s some good info, that’s what I was hoping for to be able to tow over all the passes no problem! Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke