Where are all the 2014's?

lcavalletti

Observer
where are all the 2014 e350's? Does sports mobile have them all ? Or are they still in a fleet of rental cars or service companies. I would love to see more builds with late e350's. no offense to everyone with older vans. Just would like to see more late vehicle builds. Seems like the 2014's on dealer lots at this point would be good deals considering that service companies are moving toward sprinters and transits. Ect

Timjim

Observer
Here's my 2013 the day I got it:

538F522C-6EF8-4889-B661-388C82B1555C_zpsrw3ho8pp.jpg

Some months later after trips to Agile Offroad and Sportsmobile West
6270735E-DDC3-40A3-8AC5-81ACD19F6688_zpsbw6vrzxw.jpg

And the days between with me making a mess of sheets of plywood, expensive flooring, and generally hacking away at anything in my skill level, sometimes well beyond.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/fluxs-gaatmhq-build-17967.html

Deshet

Adventurer
You may not know this but a lot of negative attention was focused on full-size vans in and around 2014. Many rental companies stopped renting them all together during that year. It became harder to get business insurance for the 12 and 15 passenger vans. Many companies stop buying E350 vans around 2014. Many states outlawed carrying school aged children in them. The original ford transit connect was smaller cheaper and took over a lot of the market share. Nissan also had its cheaper NV and then in 2015 the full-size transit put the nail in the econoline's coffin. The full-size transit drives more like a car then a van.

You will see more and more sprinters and transits. A ford econoline 2008 and 2014 are basically the same vans. Honestly, a 1992 and 2014 is basically the same van. The dash and front clip of a 2014 can be put onto a 1992 ford econoline. I would not have bought a 2014 econoline new with all of the choices available at the time. Business owners were scared off by everyones diesels by 2014. (except Mercedes) The econoline never got the 6.4 or 6.7 diesels. (only the sicko 6.0 diesel that really hurt the econoline)

I had a 2001 Starcraft E350 7.3 diesel....it was $45,000 new in 2001. The Nissan dealer was selling the 2014 Nissan 2500 series van new for under $24000.00. Dodge had there cheap Promaster van and GM had the Express and Savanna. (Qugiley awd alternative for cheap) The econoline had a great 30 year run but times changed. I know the Eco boost V6 costs Ford less then the 5.4 V8 although they charged a premium for it. I bet the full-size transit cargo is a cheaper model to produce then the E350 cargo. Unibodies are cheaper then vehicles with full frames.

You won't see a lot of 2014 Ford econolines because many weren't sold, they also aren't old enough for most forum members to buy and cut up.

Last edited:

lcavalletti

Observer
You may not know this but a lot of negative attention was focused on full-size vans in and around 2014. Many rental companies stopped renting them all together during that year. It became harder to get business insurance for the 12 and 15 passenger vans. Many companies stop buying E350 vans around 2014. Many states outlawed carrying school aged children in them. The original ford transit connect was smaller cheaper and took over a lot of the market share. Nissan also had its cheaper NV and then in 2015 the full-size transit put the nail in the econoline's coffin. The full-size transit drives more like a car then a van.

You will see more and more sprinters and transits. A ford econoline 2008 and 2014 are basically the same vans. Honestly, a 1992 and 2014 is basically the same van. The dash and front clip of a 2014 can be put onto a 1992 ford econoline. I would not have bought a 2014 econoline new with all of the choices available at the time. Business owners were scared off by everyones diesels by 2014. (except Mercedes) The econoline never got the 6.4 or 6.7 diesels. (only the sicko 6.0 diesel that really hurt the econoline)

I had a 2001 Starcraft E350 7.3 diesel....it was $45,000 new in 2001. The Nissan dealer was selling the 2014 Nissan 2500 series van new for under $24000.00. Dodge had there cheap Promaster van and GM had the Express and Savanna. (Qugiley awd alternative for cheap) The econoline had a great 30 year run but times changed. I know the Eco boost V6 costs Ford less then the 5.4 V8 although they charged a premium for it. I bet the full-size transit cargo is a cheaper model to produce then the E350 cargo. Unibodies are cheaper then vehicles with full frames.

You won't see a lot of 2014 Ford econolines because many weren't sold, they also aren't old enough for most forum members to buy and cut up.

Makes me even more glad that I found such a low mileage 2013. Maybe I own one of the newer cut up econolines. My prediction is the low mileage or well cared for econolines with a proper 4x4 conversion may increase in value. For the roads I drive in Baja you need a framed vehicle

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I bought a 3 year old 4x4 E350 low milage van from the state of Colorado. It does not get beaten and maintnence is above par. It's a 2002 with over a hundred thousand and has been the best vehicle investment I ever made. This is a great topic on the 2014's because like me if you invest in a low milage late model just like we did then you will have over a decade of multiple uses for it. It has sat for months on end but over the years but also it has done more than I ever expected. No plans to upgrade but if it gets away from me I'm coming right back to this thread for a replacement. It's my camper, tow rig, bathroom, kitchen, comphy bed, tool truck. It pulls a small boat, dune buggy and jeep when needed. If your thinking of a build then investing in a late model as I did will surly bring you more than a decade of trouble free bliss.

lcavalletti

Observer
Why do you say this? Would a uni-body with proper suspension travel not make it?

Sure anything might make it with 4x4. But hundreds of miles of washboard and deep sand driving gets old,fast with a uni body vehicle in my opinion. You see the wear and tear on vehicles that live down there. Even newish vehicles become old fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles