Where are all my MilSurp equipment fans at?

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Dudes: milsurp. Keep it at equipment.

Who uses the old camo ruck sack covers as a tire cover? I have a three color desert one that matches my Gobi Wrangler really well. Buck fifty at Coleman’s surplus!

DE4E8E16-3E3C-403A-806A-B37207868332.jpeg

Correus

Adventurer
OK, but you asked for this... lol.

I first noticed troops calling it a "woobie" quite some time ago. Right around Desert Storm. I was a Drill Sgt at Ft Benning at the time.

At first, the childish nickname seemed like harmless fun, as young GIs do tend to say, and do a lot of dumb stuff. I know I did. However, it's also about the time there was a shift in the way the Army was working, the way it treated soldiers, and the types of spoiled brats that started showing up in the ranks. (I've seen a lot of changes in my 27 years in uniform) Young PVTs had stress cards in basic training because they couldn't deal with the "stress" of being told what to do all day, every day....Drill Sgts couldn't cuss. They sure as hell couldn't give anymore "wall to wall counseling" sessions. They couldn't even point at a soldier with fingers anymore, and the "knife hand" became a thing. The barracks were air conditioned. Nice for sure, and it seemed like an improvement at first, but we couldn't even control the temp settings. We had to prop doors open to keep them from getting too cool. The PVTs would go in the barracks, and crash in the AC, then back out into the heat for training... They were getting sick, and dropping like flies because they weren't becoming acclimated to the weather they were supposed to operate in.

Basically, the Army went politically correct about the time childish troops started up with the whole "woobie" thing. Much like childish idiots in today's society, demanding every conceivable concession, having to get their way on everything, (and at everyone's expense but their own) AND... if they don't, you are some evil vile thing like a racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe... They demand everything free, rather than earning anything on their own.. As the Army changed, the soldiers suffered by not being taught the tough (but necessary) lessons of reality. Especially the reality of military service. (which isn't supposed to be easy, just important) Training changed, and not for the better, but simply to make it "easier" on the troops. Training that was previously designed to prepare you for the single most traumatic thing a human can endure... war.

Having newer, and better weapons, and technology is a plus for the troops.
Having weaker troops... takes away much of that advantage.

In a world where words matter, and you can loose your job, or be labeled evil things just for using what somebody considers the "wrong" word, or the meaning of a word has changed overnight... remember one thing.

It's a "poncho liner".

What years did you first start seeing all of this?

I was slated to go to Ft. Leonard Wood for basic in 1987. I had just started an ROTC program and my CO there got that switched and had me sent to Ft. Knox. With the ROTC unit we did our PT and training in combat boots. When I arrived at Knox I was issued tennis shoes - we did our PT in tennis shoes!!

Our DIs also informed us, during their 'welcoming' lecture of what was expected of us and what they could and couldn't do. As you said - no more "wall to wall counseling" sessions. But - there was still cussing and dressing downs, just no physical contact. HOWEVER - my ROTC class was the first class that all of these new 'rules' were introduced, so there were lapses.

We were also the first integrated class (males and females that trained together). Very, very strict rules in re socialization while training. I can honestly say that most of those ladies were some of the most fierce troops and well respected.

We did not have AC at all - we were housed in the old WWII barracks.

As to the 'woobie' aspect - we were always disciplined if we used slang such as that. The main no-no was in re our rifle. If you ever got caught calling your rifle a 'gun' the punishment was jogging circuits around the barracks blocks, with your rifle in one hand (held above your head) and the other hand holding your crotch, yelling out "this is my rifle this is my gun; with this I shoot commies with this I ......"; you get the picture.

One thing that stands out, to this day, from their welcoming lecture is this - after telling us what they could no longer do they told us that "since you are being considered 'officers and gentlemen' were are to address you as 'sir'". Yeah... right... THAT never happened!!! LOL Besides, we hadn't earned it, so why should they.

But yes, all-n-all I started noticing what you spell out all the way back then.

Forgot to mention... I was stunned when I first heard that the state of the recruits entering service was so bad many had to go through a basic training FOR basic training!

I miss the Army.

pith helmet

Dudes: milsurp. Keep it at equipment.

Who uses the old camo ruck sack covers as a tire cover? I have a three color desert one that matches my Gobi Wrangler really well. Buck fifty at Coleman’s surplus!

View attachment 640783
When I as a kid there was a Mil.Surp. store on the way to the place my family went to camp. Was the best.
Unfortunately, seems that half of the threads I try to follow end up spiraling out of control like this.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
When I as a kid there was a Mil.Surp. store on the way to the place my family went to camp. Was the best.
Unfortunately, seems that half of the threads I try to follow end up spiraling out of control like this.
The trick is to shut it down hard.

My favorite store when Dad was stationed at Ft Lee VA was a little hole in the wall Army Navy store in downtown Hopewell. I have not been there in 3 decades, so no idea if it is there anymore.

Growing up, I used to drool over the US Cavalry and Brigade Quartermaster catalogues. Funny thing too was that US Cavalry was the first time I saw a GPS. I believe it was a Trimble Trimpak. Big unit. Lat/Long digital readout only. I was blown away! Way too expensive to even think of asking parents to buy me one. But I eventually got a degree in Geography and use GPS all the time now.

We had a few nice milsurp stores here in Knoxville. Only two left. One is a little too old for my taste and the other caters to the blue line crowd, so nothing really for me. There is a super nice one in Chattanooga. I try to get down there every few months and see what fancies me. Other than that, I buy from Colemans.com

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
In the late 80's to early 90's there was a handful of surplus shops in the greater Kansas City area. The funny thing is companies like 5.11, Blackhawk, Maxpedition, etc......hadn't been created yet so it was SOP for local LE use surplus gear or Dickies work gear to equipt their tactical teams. I remember being issued green bdu's and a packet of black dye and told to go home and dye the gear.....which made a hell of a mess and eventually turned to a funky navy blue-green color. I actually learned to sew back then to modify the Vietnam era web gear and belts to fit the early drop holsters.......thank goodness when Eagle, 5.11, uniform companies started making tac clothes! A lot has changed in 30 years.......

Last edited:

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
In the late 80's to early 90's there was a handful of surplus shops in the greater Kansas City area. The funny thing is companies like 5.11, Blackhawk, Maxpedition, etc......hadn't been created yet so it was SOP for local LE use surplus gear or Dickies work gear to equipt their tactical teams. I remember being issued green bdu's and a packet of black dye and told to go home and dye the gear.....which made a hell of a mess and eventually turned to a funky navy blue-green color. I actually learned to sew back then to modify the Vietnam era web gear and belts to fit the early drop holsters.......thank goodness when Eagle, 5.11, uniform companies started making tac clothes!

I've made and modified a lot of my own equipment as well. It's fun but in the end I always ask myself "was this actually less expensive?" The answer is usually no, haha.

My parents taught my brother and I how to sew when we were young. I had my own sewing machine in the Marines and would sew on my own name tapes, chevrons on my dress uniforms and such. I was always very particular about that stuff being dead nuts center. The people out in town did an ok job, but they were not as good as me taking my time.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I had my own sewing machine in the Marines and would sew on my own name tapes, chevrons on my dress uniforms and such.

********........Yep! Thanks to Mom, Home Economics in High School (not sure if thats even offered anymore?) and many hours self taught before youtube..........The skill was always good for my duty, utility and class A or for a beer, six-pack or a lunch when you would sew some other team members stuff together.

krick3tt

Adventurer
When on the carrier with an air group one of the guys had a sewing machine and would make a few bucks sewing on name tags and tailoring uniforms. He was no Betsy Ross but did a good job and we were glad to have him around.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
When on the carrier with an air group one of the guys had a sewing machine and would make a few bucks sewing on name tags and tailoring uniforms. He was no Betsy Ross but did a good job and we were glad to have him around.
I's sure it beat the iron on tape mess I would see people do.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
One thing is military equipment has improved over the years. I was in from 1981-2009, (Active, Reserves, and Guard, 3 combat deployments) so I saw many changes in doctrine, training, equipment... prior to a close encounter with an IED in Iraq.

A lot of old guys my age still swear by the ALACE pack, and I do love that piece of kit, but I also went, and bought me a surplus ILBE pack that I like quite a bit about 6 or 8 years back. Now, if they just made a small patrol pack with the same build quality of the big main pack. Maybe they do, but I didn't get the small pack. I'd like to see how one of those is built up close, but no surplus stores in my area, and the plague has gun shows shut down...

Not a fan of the water bladders though. Still a canteen guy.

In general, I love the old mil crap. It may be overly heavy compared to lightweight backpacking civilian gear, but it's built to last, and take a beating. When you're traveling by vehicle (overlanding) and you don't have to hump it yourself... doesn't matter.

Ryannnz

I grew up an army brat so Army/Navy surplus stores were my Toys-r-us. The cool part was a few bucks would go a long way.

I still continue that trend for camping and overland stuff. Having used much of this type of equipment in the Marines, I know how much of a beating it can take. I suppose the biggest issue with MilSurp is it is heavier than most modern camping stuff and it can smell kind of funky too. But other than that, I think it's great.

One thing that I have that I really like is a small cargo net I bought for 15 bucks that I use as an attic in my Wrangler. I have a bunch of wool blankets I use too as they tend to be more comfortable than a sleeping bag.

I also have a 25 year old Ruck Sack, the large Alice pack, that I rigged up to carry on my spare tire as a trash bag.

So where you at fellow smelly milsurp dudes? What are you all using?

Surplus... ohhhhhh yes.

Schutt M1102 2012 trailer...

Full vid here;

a2a643b9c7c85931a86c7bcbd61f00d0.jpg

f1752224784710d37ca4919eca073b44.jpg

a155a55cf70800182bc6a52d958d9eaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz