Where are all my MilSurp equipment fans at?

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I grew up an army brat so Army/Navy surplus stores were my Toys-r-us. The cool part was a few bucks would go a long way.

I still continue that trend for camping and overland stuff. Having used much of this type of equipment in the Marines, I know how much of a beating it can take. I suppose the biggest issue with MilSurp is it is heavier than most modern camping stuff and it can smell kind of funky too. But other than that, I think it's great.

One thing that I have that I really like is a small cargo net I bought for 15 bucks that I use as an attic in my Wrangler. I have a bunch of wool blankets I use too as they tend to be more comfortable than a sleeping bag.

I also have a 25 year old Ruck Sack, the large Alice pack, that I rigged up to carry on my spare tire as a trash bag.

So where you at fellow smelly milsurp dudes? What are you all using?

Correus

Adventurer
Right here... military surplus is essential.

Believe it or not... about 5 years ago I found a small, military cargo net and a large panel of camo netting in the ditch. Both are in virtually mint condition and the camo netting panel is big enough to cover the entire Land Rover.

I still have my ALICE pack from when I was in, as well as a couple more. A few years ago I added a USMC ILBE rucksack to the collection. Couldn't turn it down - unissued for $25 at a gun show.

I collect military surplus - mainly US but other countries as well. Check out the Polish military bread bags - really, really nice.

I'm a huge fan of the Vietnam era M1956/M1961 butt pack and vintage US Army small tool bag. The vintage items are by far better than the modern versions IMHO.

I have a '63 SIIa Land Rover and am kitting it out in vintage surplus.

Question though... when you wear out a pair of BDU pants - do you cut the pockets off to use as storage?

GTI-88

I have a number of surplus items, and agree that they are generally ruggedness over weight, which I don't mind as long as I'm not backpacking for miles. Like alluded to, lots of it will take a beating, and is comparatively cheap to replace if / when it wears out. I like having stuff like that that I don't mind abusing over the expensive luxury gear

krick3tt

Adventurer
Question though... when you wear out a pair of BDU pants - do you cut the pockets off to use as storage?

Correus, when I wear out my BDU pants, which is not often, I cut them up and sew them into equipment bags, using the cloth rather than throwing them away, paracord for the drawstrings. I especially like the chocolate chip fabric.

robert

Expedition Leader
A surplus poncho lives in my truck as does at least one wool blanket depending on the season. There are some pouches I like including a leather one that was designed to carry cartridges on stripper clips; it carries my firestarting stuff and some other small kit (repair kit, whistle, etc) on my "bushcraft" belt. I used to keep a surplus Esbit stove in the truck but switched to a Jetboil years ago. Probably some other items around too that I'm forgetting.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
LOL........We get 5-8 rolls (1000lbs - 1600Ibs) of mil-spec OD waxed canvas delivered every 3 - 4 months from the original US manufacture that produces it for the Military for our products. Since it's freshly dyed, treated and waxed it sometimes shows up still damp....so, our entire shop smells like a giant GP tent or Army surplus store.......allllllll the time. Cheers.

Last edited:

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
The vintage items are by far better than the modern versions IMHO.

A lot of that older stuff is canvas, so it tends to last much longer. I havent worn a pair of cammies/BDUs in almost 20 years, so I don't have extra pockets laying around, haha.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
I have a number of surplus items, and agree that they are generally ruggedness over weight, which I don't mind as long as I'm not backpacking for miles. Like alluded to, lots of it will take a beating, and is comparatively cheap to replace if / when it wears out. I like having stuff like that that I don't mind abusing over the expensive luxury gear
Absolutely! I just hope the other campers and overlanders don't find out...

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
One of my most travelled but of kits is an old USMC Poncho, I've taken it everywhere over the last 30 years. Sadly it now needs replacing and I cant seem to find any for sale (I'm in the UK;) )
Check out Colemas.com (not the stove company). They have them on there quite often. Not sure, but I would bet they offer EU shipping.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
A surplus poncho lives in my truck as does at least one wool blanket depending on the season. There are some pouches I like including a leather one that was designed to carry cartridges on stripper clips; it carries my firestarting stuff and some other small kit (repair kit, whistle, etc) on my "bushcraft" belt. I used to keep a surplus Esbit stove in the truck but switched to a Jetboil years ago. Probably some other items around too that I'm forgetting.

I keep a poncho and poncho liner with me as well. But when it's colder, I usually use a milsurp wool blanket along with my sleeping bag. All laid out on top like a regular bed. Have been into the 20s with it and it's just fine.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior