Where’s the KLR’s

ADVNOMAD

I subscribe to, and regularly visit multiple online Adventure Motorcycle information sources. As a KLR owner I actually obsess on anything pertaining to adventure travel on two wheels according to my wife. My budget and free time allows me to only live in this in online dreams mostly.

The thing that puzzles me is that anytime you see an article about the Venereable KLR, the author(s) usually are pretty good at communicating the do all but not perfect at anything qualities of the KLR. In fact the bike actually retains a well deserved respect in the adventure community if you believe the stories you can find on the mount.

The problem from my perspective is that a very high percentage of stories, articles, picture essays or online journalism in general is devoted to the more upscale bikes. BMW’s and KTM’s obviously have a huge following.

However, if I was a more self conscious rider I wouldn’t dare show up at one of the many adventure or overland rally’s that showcase the more affluent bike accessories and attributes.

My KLR is mostly stock and plan to keep making it more and more capable. I do attend some local gatherings and would attend the bigger rallies if they were closer., but is the industry hurting itself by not devoting more attention to the bike that got so many into the two wheel adventure life?

Even though the bike is on its last leg with Kawasaki, there is a huge selection of used machines out there that will introduce many to our Life.

tatanka48

i wonder if you aren't looking @ ADV riding thru different coloured glasses

from my personal experiences i found that the bigger rallies are more for SHOW N SHINE and flinging feces than actually doing any riding

there's a lot of parked skoots w/ a lot of beer being consumed while the arm chair ADV riders tell of rides they are "planning"

not unlike the HD crowd and their rallies just a bit more hoi-t-toity ±

during my actual riding/mile logging years my CFO had me on a fairly short string and i had to do some of my adventures in bits n pieces as time money and favourable weather coincided

over the years i did have 2 KLR's that served me well and only let them go after vehicular incidents rendered them no-workie-no-more :-(

EXAMPLE my quest to ride the perimeter of the state(Texas) as close to the border as possible on roads shown on the official highway map and closer when back roads existed (lotsa county map studying)

the quest ended up w/ me actually riding 8300 miles and took 3 years to complete

when weather funds and time provided opportunities i would launch and do some border riding doing clover leafs from the home base

as time went on i would connect the leaves' starting and stopping points to actually make a continuous connection around the state

there WAS a lot of dirt roading involved and several sections of riding up the beaches to satisfy the quest

several border crossings were made to put feet down in all the bordering states and Mexico

all the official visitor's welcome centers were visited even when it meant riding over a hundred miles off route to do so

every ferry that either operated in(3) or touched Texas soil(1 hand over hand drawn>Mexico) was ridden

some motels were slept in butt mostly camped out whenever/wherever i happened to end a day

extreme temps were experienced from tripple digits in the south Texas summers to 12º-28º mornings in the rough mountains of the western part of the state

a couple times i trailered to an area so i could take advantage of trucking home at the end of a clover leaf rather than having to ride thru megaplexes way after dark to get home in time to goto work the next day

one such time i towed the skoot behind the camping trailer and established a temporary base camp for making several loops over a long weekend that included a wedding of an old family friend

the absolute southern tip of Texas w/ Mexico in the background/across the confluence of the Rio Grande and the Gulf of Mexico

IMG_2553.JPG

the end of civilized road along the coast in south Texas beyond which riding the beach was allowed

IMG_1294.JPG

southern Texas base camp

IMG_1295.JPG

riding the hand drawn ferry across the Rio Grande to Mexico(if you enlarge this pic you can see the rope stretching across the river that folks pull on to get across)

IMG_1291.JPG

after the death of the 2nd KLR i picked up a nice used GS-1100 to finish the quest including a point of interest or several that were off the original track and a couple times did have a friend riding along w/ me

state line crossing

IMG_1225.JPG

official Welcome Center

IMG_1255.JPG

and a really cool point of interest

IMG_1234.JPG

ADVNOMAD, your quest can be as big or small as you desire and remember it doesn't all have to be done at once

i often think that nibbling away at quests gives me something to look fwd to and keep the fires burning

w/ 2-wheel & 3-wheel ADVentures in my wake my quests have evolved to other types of ADVentures involving other types of toys/tools/conveyances...

i guess what i'm trying to encourage you to do is devise your own adventures/quests and even when you have to nibble at them from time to time get started

BON CHANCE

T

Last edited:

ADVNOMAD

Finally somebody gets “it”.
Bonnie Chance you’re right on the money.
I’m gettin up there in miles run(age) and have realized my ADV’s mostly one small trip at a time too.

It’s a little easier now with all the monkeys out of the house but there are some weekends the body has slower plans. But I’ll keep tryin and yes I have better things to do than fling crap at the beer fountain.

Very well said Bonne Sir!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I still have my 2003 KLR, and from 2003-2008 + I spent thousands of miles riding from Kansas City to Colorado and riding and camping all over the state. Then I made the mistake of seeing my first Land Cruiser and the rest is history. Now we live in Colorado and I still ride my bike from time to time, but not as much as before. We have a summer riding/camping trip to Moab planned for this year. Like most, I've drooled over the other bikes out there, but My KLR has always got me home and I get attached to my vehicles and just can't seem to let them go. Have fun and be safe!
IMG_0097.JPGIMG_0194.JPGP6140117.JPGP6110067.JPG

Grump E-Vet

Even though the bike is on its last leg with Kawasaki

Actually Kawasaki already killed it or more accurately the new Euro emessions rules did. But you are right the huge amount available on the used market did not help them (or other OEMs). You can still find a huge number of brand new 2018 KLRs from $4500-$5500 all over the country.

Personally, I am just starting to get the itch to try riding (Maybe it is because I am turning 39 next month) but if I do I would be far more likely to try a dual-sport or one of the sub 1,000cc ADV bikes since that fits in better with other activities I do.

tatanka48

i doubt there is any other single skoot ADV or otherwise out there that has a greater following or more aftermarket support than the KLR

30± years in production may have something to do with it

suspension options and racks come immediately to mind

soft luggage works great w/o attacking you WHEN your skoot decides to take a nap on the trail

virtually every tyre maker offers at least one set if not several that fit any imagined riding style a KLR rider might like

make sure you do the DOOHICKEY(¿sp?) upgrade as the co$$$t of repairs when it fails is a$$tronomical :-O

again BON CHANCE

T

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

I've had a 15 forever., I ride it every chance I get. Nice bike that does everything but nothing well. I'll have it forever. Like a lawnmower on 2 wheels. Done 1000 miles trips and ot always gets home. All I can ask.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
My 03 prepped, tuned and kitted for its next adventure. A friend and I leave in the morning for a five day misadventure from Nederland, Co. (ATC HQ) to Moab, Ut via RMNP, Leadville, Carbondale, Delta, Montrose, Rimrocker Trail, Moab and back, all two lane, dirt and mountain passes, camping each night. cheers!

tatanka48

My 03 prepped, tuned and kitted for its next adventure. A friend and I leave in the morning for a five day misadventure from Nederland, Co. (ATC HQ) to Moab, Ut via RMNP, Leadville, Carbondale, Delta, Montrose, Rimrocker Trail, Moab and back, all two lane, dirt and mountain passes, camping each night. cheers!

View attachment 527884

just south of Carbondae take the last left(county 3) before starting up > Keebler Pass

Marble > thru Crystal turn left at the yelow sign (you'll know it when you see it)

following that trail will take you back to Marble

drop dead beautiful country

nice NFCG Bogan Flats use2 always have clean pits Crystal River runs right along side it :)

spend some time in/around Marble where the beautiful stone is quarried

SHINY SIDE UP

T

oldcelicaracer

Observer
I just picked me up a 2018 camo new 2 weeks ago, been looking into adv bikes and what I require from one the KLR just checked all the boxes.i already have the skid plate and low pro drain bolt installed and panniers and crash bars are next in line.i put on thousands of miles in gravel roads and mountain forest service roads as I live to explore in the overland sense of it.to get a idea of my love for back roads exploring I run a Facebook page and YouTube channel called Montana dirt roads. The KLR is gonna be used alot on these trips

b dkw1

Observer
This little piggy went to Colorado.

0703131611-00_zpsceaef89d.jpg

A few times. It also went cross country once and up and down Baja more times than I can count. It lived a hard life, hopefully it's new owner gave it some love.

oldcelicaracer

Observer
If ya ever make it to Montana guy let me know, I know of some excellent areas to go to depending on your interest, I have been riding a road bike for 8 years and off road with a Jeep for more so.i know of two of the highest dirt roads in Montana

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles