When the motorcycle itself is the adventure:

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
When I was a pre-teen my uncle took me and his son to the TT races where I watched Giacamo Agostini race against Mike Hailwood.

I'll never forget Agostini blasting past our viewing spot at very high speed!

I don't remember the year, but we visited Summerland, which later had a major fire, burning it to the ground and killing many trapped visitors.

That apart, as a former Motorcycle Mechanic and Workshop Owner, I too would have chosen the 800, a motorcycle hand built by craftspeople.

Thank you for sharing your adventure.

MTVR

Sounds like you may have been there in '66 or '67.

When we toured Ducati in Bologna Italy, we also saw Mike "The Bike" Hailwood's famous 1978 Isle Of Man TT Formula-1 race-winning Ducati 900SS:

20201004_090402.jpg

MTVR

We also found a photograph of Mike Hailwood over the bed in our room at Hotel am Tiergarten when we visited the Nurburgring with my wife's new European Delivery BMW Track Pack car.

MTVR

AeroNautiCal, we went to the TT in 2016 (practice week and race week), and it was absolutely epic. We rented a luxury cottage in Peel- it was fun to visit the Promenade in Douglas, but we wanted someplace a little quieter to sleep.

Michael Dunlop ran the first sub 17 minute lap. Five people died while we were there. We rented a bright red big-bore Ducati and rode the course both solo and two-up, at triple-digit speeds. We watched the 2014 Liam Neeson narrated film "Road" (featuring Michael Dunlop, his late brother William Dunlop, their late father Robert Dunlop, and Robert's late brother Joey Dunlop) while having pints of Guinness and cider in The Raven pub at the Ballaugh Bridge Jump.

We also visited Joey's statue above the Bungalow Curves near the Snaefel Mountain Railway crossing. It was quite moving.

While we were on the Isle Of Man, we met the owner of the Ace Cafe London- we flew to London after the TT, and he took care of our dinner and drinks there. We also made the trip to Southampton to see the Top Gear Museum.

We did Edinburgh Scotland, Dublin Ireland, and Belfast Northern Ireland on that trip too. We like pubs...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94